HOLA441
  • Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

Ordered my holiday money in Jan for April at £1 = €1.1750. B)

/smug mode.

Not exactly in the quantity traders do every day, but getting £500 at that rate is turning out to be just about the only correct decision I've made so far this year.

Edited by deflation

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

Not to panic but I am on my way to NW to transfer my bond into US $--90 day penalty is nothing compared wit the loss if the pounds drops another cent!

Our debt situation, housing crash resuming, poltical uncertainty, printing on the back of almost zero GDP (the US just announced last Q GDP at 5.9% that is + 5.9%).

1 GBP =Inverse: 1.51626

0.65952 1.11659

HOLA449

Not to panic but I am on my way to NW to transfer my bond into US $--90 day penalty is nothing compared wit the loss if the pounds drops another cent!

Our debt situation, housing crash resuming, poltical uncertainty, printing on the back of almost zero GDP (the US just announced last Q GDP at 5.9% that is + 5.9%).

0.65952 1.11659

That will be annualised though won't it?

You need to chill RB. You are 75% in USD, why worry about the little hedge you have in GBP? ;)

Edit:

Sorry RB, just seen it was 2/3rd not 75%. Please feel free to panic now. :D

Edited by bobthe~

HOLA4410

0.65952 1.11659

"hey mr bear. why are you running around from bank to bond to bank.

why dont you take it easy with cadburys physical gold holding......

boyong...

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

"Just got call from a 'bullmeister' city boy pal - bloody hell! said everyone very nervy on £ and warned me to prepare."

On Monday I was buying dollars (with pounds), no worries, no stress. My banker raised an eyebrow, nothing more.

I bought some more on Wednesday and the banker is giving me a kind of ... "yeah, smart, you're right about this," vibe.

My wife is trying to buy dollars this afternoon and her bank are giving her obfuscation, blocks, all sorts of shyte.

They are asking for signatures they already have and have not asked for before, not answering the phone, cutting her off ...

It feels "a bit" like autumn 2008.

Just a nugget from my coal face.

Edited by indirectapproach

HOLA4416

Ordered my holiday money in Jan for April at £1 = €1.1750. B)

/smug mode.

Not exactly in the quantity traders do every day, but getting £500 at that rate is turning out to be just about the only correct decision I've made so far this year.

till 2 days ago you could of got cancelled currency orders with crown currency direct - delivery in may $1.70

£ "up" to $1.525

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

till 2 days ago you could of got cancelled currency orders with crown currency direct - delivery in may $1.70

£ "up" to $1.525

I have closed by UK bond account and setting up a wire for Monday into US $--yikes the delay could be a killer!

Spoke to my US bank and their foreign desk was so busy they were unable to give me a spot rate. Fidelity are one of the biggest instituions in the world and when their currency desk is busy its busy everywhere.

I believe we will see sterling weaken to the 1.40's or perhaps worse as the last domino, house prices, is about to go giving Gordon nothing else to boast about. The boom has finally ended in a complete bust from houses to jobs. Nothing positive left.

Slight uptick from the lows:

1 GBP =Inverse: 1.52576

HOLA4419

£ "up" to $1.525

That's who I used. I didn't buy any of the 'cancelled currency orders' (sceptical of that, none left now anyway) because the time frame wasn't far away enough. As I write this, you can get €1.1625 for delivery after 13th May. Minimum £300.

Their dollar rate for the same date has dropped to $1.585.

Edited by deflation

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Hung parliament. Going to murder the pound over the next few months.

I don't really see why. The 1974 minority government was unworkable because the Liberal party was so small. They are large enough now for Lib/Dems to be Kingmakers.

A coalition of the Lib/Dems with either Labour of Conservatives could bring in something totally new - a government that more that 50% voted for!!!

p-o-p

Edited by piece of paper

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

Sterling has just hit a new record low against gold.

It now costs 731.89 to buy one ounce of gold.

Oh dear. That'll add a bit to a David Beckham pendant at Elizabeth Duke.

Expect riots.

HOLA4425

GBP =Inverse: 1.51610

0.65959 1.11679

I think its time to bail out if sterling. Wish I had made the move last week at 1.62!

mmm, ive been waiting for a good while to buy some sterling for a few months at around 1.48, (thinking of converting about 20% of my savings into it, it will almost make me feel British again). the RB contra indicator gives me confidence ;)