House Price Crash Forum

Sheffield Area

HOLA441

Things seem to be getting a little more realistic here. It wasn't so long ago that a 1 bed ex-LA flat in S14 was going for nearly £50,000.

LINK

17619_200282093_IMG_00_0000.jpg

Just shy of £57k.

Given the way I personally think that the economy is going, I'd say £40-45k would be more realistic.

• Replies 487
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442
  • 3 months later...
HOLA443
HOLA444

Things seem to be getting a little more realistic here. It wasn't so long ago that a 1 bed ex-LA flat in S14 was going for nearly £50,000.

LINK

Just shy of £57k.

Given the way I personally think that the economy is going, I'd say £40-45k would be more realistic.

It says 50k on the rightmove link, and removed as it may be sold. £50k for a 3 bed familiy house is getting towards sanity levels. I hope it wasn't snapped up by a cash rich BTLer so that they stop some familiy buying it, and then offer to rent it to them for £5 or 6 hundred quid a month.

HOLA445

A case of trying to ramp up prices in the Sheffield Star?

"To sum up, the market has gone down and bounced back up, but overall house prices are still down."

No idea where these figures are from. I've seen houses round my area in Crookes on the market for the past 3 or 4 months.

A mate's just sold his house in Aston to a young couple. It was up for £130k for a year, then he dropped it to £120k, then accepted an offer of £115k. He said the prices at the peak on his road were circa £140k at the peak.

• 1 month later...
HOLA446
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA447
HOLA448

Seems to me that the south of the city is seeing reductions at a faster rate than the north.

Houses in Sothall, Halfway, Swallownest, Woodhouse even Mosborough appear to be coming down faster than High Green, Oughtibridge, Deepcar etc.

Edited by Malkin

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA449

hi everyone i am also in sheffield looking at property, i am noticing declines especially in the s12/s13 area , seen a 3 bed semi this week ready to move into in s12 area, not an ex council house £99,950 :D

Edited by craig12

HOLA4410

hi everyone i am also in sheffield looking at property, i am noticing declines especially in the s12/s13 area , seen a 3 bed semi this week ready to move into in s12 area, not an ex council house £99,950 :D

Some council houses near me used to go for around £90,000. Some are still on offer for around £80,000 even now.

Here's a semi in S12 for £100,000 that's definitely not ex-LA

LINK

HOLA4411
  • 4 weeks later...
HOLA4412

A case of trying to ramp up prices in the Sheffield Star?

"To sum up, the market has gone down and bounced back up, but overall house prices are still down."

No idea where these figures are from. I've seen houses round my area in Crookes on the market for the past 3 or 4 months.

I know quite a few people unable to sell in Sheffield. But OTOH I also know people unable to buy because they claim every time they are outbid (even if they bid well over the asking price). So seem to be hearing contradictory things! Certainly on right move have seen property languishing for months and months,

HOLA4413

I know quite a few people unable to sell in Sheffield. But OTOH I also know people unable to buy because they claim every time they are outbid (even if they bid well over the asking price). So seem to be hearing contradictory things! Certainly on right move have seen property languishing for months and months,

More likely that people are asking too much.

In the Sothall area I have been following the prices of Detached three beds (The small type). Hence long time no typey. That and enjoying the ConDems Slash and Burn tactics.

They have gone from £176,000 to £140,000 asking price if you know where to look.

There is one such houese that is a repo so I think you may get it for £130,000 if you have the cash. (now where did I put that Danegeld!)

Bonner

HOLA4414

I have recently been outbid on this property:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-16234845.html

Property sold last in 2007 for £197,000 according to Nethouseprices. Had an offer accepted at £205,000, that is above peak. To be fair, it looks like the owner had put in a good bit of effort, but still. Having paid my mortgage booking fee of £195, was informed by the EA that they had received an offer of £210,000. I was not prepared to get into a bidding war, so another year of renting in a small flat, I guess.

HOLA4415

yasdnil,

Thats been happening a lot.

Unless they have a humungous deposit no one will lend.

Also that area you need a good survey done. (Not the walk round and kick the tyres type!)

My advice is keep your offer on the table in case the other one drops out. Make it subject to a full survey. Ignore the new paint job etc.

Bonner

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4416

I was talking to a guy who's trying to sell his terrace in Sheff, he describes it as a typical FTB place. Typical houses in his street are up at circa £110k, so he's put his up at £99,999 to get into rightmove searches at <100k, and to be the cheapest on the street. He still hasn't had any enquiries at all in two months.

The type of houses he's going for are 3 bed detached, or semis in the more expensive areas, at up to £200k. In his discussions with said £200k house owners they all report that there's very little interest, the market's dead, and they've often dropped to circa £180-190k from an initial £210-220k. But they're very reluctant to drop further, even if they do sit on the market month after month without any interest.

Seems to be a Mexican stand-off in Sheffield at the moment. He's a smart guy though and would welcome a 20% drop on the above prices as he's trading up. Those trading down (like the 3 bed detached may be) are very reluctant to let go of the peak valuations of their house. Soon I feel the dam will burst, like it did in the early 90s in Sheff.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4417

I have been looking for a house around Sheffield for two years now and decided as the prices are just so unrealistic, in my opinion, to wait and see what happens to the market. I think anyone buying now is taking a big risk as prices could, and that is only my opinion, tumble. People could never really afford prices that were being paid with mortgages at up to five times their salaries etc and that is why there was a world wide banking crisis wasn't it, bad mortgage debt. So that being said, surely the only way they can go is down as people can no longer lend the kind of money still being asked. There is a property in Crosspool near where I live that came on the market at £230000 only a couple of months ago (see link) and it is now down to £180000 and thats a very nice house but still out of my price range unfortunately.

My link

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

I have been looking for a house around Sheffield for two years now and decided as the prices are just so unrealistic, in my opinion, to wait and see what happens to the market. I think anyone buying now is taking a big risk as prices could, and that is only my opinion, tumble. People could never really afford prices that were being paid with mortgages at up to five times their salaries etc and that is why there was a world wide banking crisis wasn't it, bad mortgage debt. So that being said, surely the only way they can go is down as people can no longer lend the kind of money still being asked. There is a property in Crosspool near where I live that came on the market at £230000 only a couple of months ago (see link) and it is now down to £180000 and thats a very nice house but still out of my price range unfortunately.

i say offer 25% less or can you buy a house at 2003 prices, if they would have continued at normal growth i still reckon theyre 25%overpriced, i offer 25% less than the asking price always and wait for the ea grunts

My link

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

There is a property in Crosspool near where I live that came on the market at £230000 only a couple of months ago (see link) and it is now down to £180000 and thats a very nice house but still out of my price range unfortunately. My link

This was built about 4 or 5 years ago and started life as a cafe. Not the best place for one I thought. I guess the owners never saw as much business as they'd hoped they would...

HOLA4421

I posted this on the main board, but I'll park it here so I can find it in 6 months.

There's some new build houses in an ex pit village (Anston) near to a mate's that have just gone on the market. I've seen them going up over the last couple of months every time I've visited. They're four x 3 bed 'town houses' i.e. terraces, crammed onto a plot that I thought would be big enough for 2 houses. They're on at just under £200k each on a local EA wesite! No gardens; one side opens onto a street, the other side has a shared paved area for parking, i.e. a tiny footprint per house, yer archetypal slave box. There's a big sign in front of them saying Luxury Cottages for sale! The link to them is here. EAs just can't say 'terrace' any more it seems.

Rightmove tells me that within 1/4 mile are similar 10 year old terraces at 125k. In fact one of them has a notice on its web ad saying that 112.5k has been offered, and would anyone like to better it.

I'm utterly at a loss as to why the developers/EA think that the former are worth almost 200k when similar stuff is going for 60% of that nearby. The market is pretty stagnant as well. It does make me think that there's a way to go before reality sets in with developers and EAs though. In a few months I'm going to check out what they actually go for, and whether they go straight to BTL. Or if they sell at all.

HOLA4422

I wouldn't touch a new build- cheap fixtures, shoddily built....the roof blew off a block of newly build flats in Northfield Road (Crookes) a few years ago and a friend's ground floor flat (in the same block) smells of damp and already looks tatty...

Most houses in Crookes are on for 0ver 6 months before 'Sold' signs get put up, quite a few 12 months +. The market here is going nowhere and prices of 200k are just taking the p**s!

Few people in Sheffield have jobs that can support these prices. If people can hardly afford them in a low interest rate environment, what happens when rates go up?

HOLA4423

This was built about 4 or 5 years ago and started life as a cafe. Not the best place for one I thought. I guess the owners never saw as much business as they'd hoped they would...

I know Crosspool quite well and was told this building was put up with planning permission only for it to be used as a cafe. Most people doubted there was trade for a cafe in that location so no suprise when it stopped trading. I wasn't aware that the planning permission had been changed.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4424

Bloke on radio sheffield this am said that the 1st set of renocated park hill flats would hit the market 'in about a year'. The first of 700+.

I bet the people who own the unsold flats in st paul's tower will be hoping to have offloaded them before another 700 start hitting the market.

HOLA4425

Bloke on radio sheffield this am said that the 1st set of renocated park hill flats would hit the market 'in about a year'. The first of 700+.

I bet the people who own the unsold flats in st paul's tower will be hoping to have offloaded them before another 700 start hitting the market.

Do you know what the asking prices are going to be for the Park Hill flats? I looked on google but couldn't find anything.