House Price Crash Forum

Any comments on Sheffield, particulary Crookes? Things have been really quiet and offers seem to be a few K below asking price. I know of one on the market at £135 that has received 2 offers, the highest being £130.

Guest Bart of Darkness

Things seem to be in a holding position at the moment. South Yorkshire in general seems to be a bit behind some parts of the country (maybe the further north you go, the bigger the delay?-- Scotland still seems to be booming)

Places I've been watching (S20) seem to sell, but can take up to 6 months to find a buyer.

Not many reductions apparent on places up for sale for ages, but some of the newer stuff seems to be "slightly" better value.

This house for example at £149,950:

http://www.vebra.com/home/search/vdetails....163&pid=9700234

Might have been offered for £155,000 or £160,000 a year ago, so some progress.

I'd love to know what's happening with all those "Centro" city living flats being built. I'd certainly buy a flat on West Street that cost more than a detached house in S20! ;)

Done some more research on this. I've copied all the prices from http://www.houseprices.co.uk/ for the S10 area of Sheffield. Graph attached.

Blue line is the average house price for every month, pink is the number of sales for that month. Red is 20 month moving average. All values have been normalised to allow plotting on the same graph.

For the number of houses sold, it shows that peak selling occurs in August, with a drop later in the year, but that this year’s drop so far is the most dramatic since the records began in April 2000.

For the house prices, the moving average is at a plateau, even though there has been a recent jump in prices, which seems to contradict the falling number of sales. This may be because 42% of houses sold so far in June are detached houses, as opposed to only 17% in May and 15% in April.

It appears that while prices are holding, number of sales in June 2005 have dropped dramatically. Only a matter of time.....

Doc1.doc

Doc1.doc

Guest Bart of Darkness

Dramatic is right. It confirms that asking prices haven't gone down but as for sales, my goodness!

Some good research there MEtallic, nice to see some info for the local area.

We can only wonder how long this can go on for.

Good work on this. I live in Crookes and my landlord thinks the market is on the way down. Price of houses in my street has gone from mid-40s in 2000 to 80-110k now which is crazy.

I have a theory that there are a huge amount of student flats being built in town (or flats that students can afford to live in). This will have an effect on the houses in broomhill/crookes as there is over-supply. Landlords will have to improve properties to rent out.

Also in a couple of years the new student village as well as the Forge etc. will mean more students stay in residences rather than private accommodation + there appears to be more students living at home and studying...

If you get any more keep posting..

I've repeated what I think MEtallic has done, same source for data, but for S11 and with 3 month moving averages. Basically shows the same thing:

1. Prices have reached a plateau and have fallen slightly.

2. Transactions have fallen dramatically

3. The Xmas selling season spike just did not happen in 04.

And yet I don;t really see much in the way of outright price falls. Odd, isn't it?

S11_Chart.doc

S11_Chart.doc

My [close relative] works selling new flats and townhouses around the city. She was working for a [company] selling houses in and around sheffield suburbs and beyond, but she jumped ship as they started letting off the people she was hired with.

If I recall correctly they hired a bunch of young'uns over the last year or two, only to find that the demographic of people buying did not diversify, only old couples were parting with their money turning their new build plots into retirement villages :lol: (could it be because no matter how young and trendy the sales person, they have no way of making other young people earn the ridiculous sums of money required to buy one of their overpriced houses)

Anyway getting back to the city townhouses/flats... she is completely unaware of the economy, recent downturns etc. and says that even the smallest box flats are being bought up before they are complete. Really easy sales apparently. I am going to try and find out a bit more.. mainly if they are all BTL (which I suspect) but it is always depressing talking to her, as apparently times are good for her [employee].

[sorry about lack of details but I hear lots of naughty trolls look over these forums and I don't want to get her in trouble.]

Guest Bart of Darkness

Anyway getting back to the city townhouses/flats... she is completely unaware of the economy, recent downturns etc. and says that even the smallest box flats are being bought up before they are complete. Really easy sales apparently. I am going to try and find out a bit more.. mainly if they are all BTL (which I suspect) but it is always depressing talking to her, as apparently times are good for her [employee].

[sorry about lack of details but I hear lots of naughty trolls look over these forums and I don't want to get her in trouble.]

Any local insights always welcome Bubble.

I suspect that you are correct about the BTL brigade buying these flats. Be interesting to find out exactly who is buying these places.

All but one of the home owners I know live in houses (and the single exception bought a flat in Crookes, well clear of the "centro" zone).

This house is for sale on my street:

http://212.50.188.105/cgi-win/vebra.cgi?de...2/TOYNE/56077/2

and last weekend I saw one of those Blundells "sales consultants" minis parked outside and a regular street of 20 something couples going to look at the property.

110 thousand for one of these terraces is farcical. They are quite small inside and 5 years ago were selling for 30-45k...

I will be shocked if it goes for 110 though.

Edited by jimmy

This house is for sale on my street:

http://212.50.188.105/cgi-win/vebra.cgi?de...2/TOYNE/56077/2

and last weekend I saw one of those Blundells "sales consultants" minis parked outside and a regular street of 20 something couples going to look at the property.

110 thousand for one of these terraces is farcical. They are quite small inside and 5 years ago were selling for 30-45k...

I will be shocked if it goes for 110 though.

maybe you should look at the bottom of the link..

SALES NEGOTIATOR

Zoey Simpson

VALUER

LUCY CRAPPER bwa

:D

Guest Bart of Darkness

Update on S10 house prices. Number of sales plumbing new depths but house prices stable

Your hard work is definitely appreciated MEtallic.

Just bought in S10 (I know, I know... it's a 5 year thing and it previously fell through with another buyer etc etc) and have been watching the 120 - 300 market for an eternity. The postcode seems to be split in two at the moment with Crookes and some Broomhill houses stuck where they've been since I started looking but Ranmoor / Crosspool / Fulwood family homes suddenly shifting since Christmas. My chain has gone v quick with, as I think I have posted elsewhere, sealed bids further up. I would say that although stock is shifting, prices are stable.

I've updated the graphs.

What is interesting is the dramatic drop in house sales, to(11 for the month of March from an average of 67/month over the past 6 years.

Also is the dramatic drop in the total value of the housing stock sold, from about £24m at the peak in July 2004 to only £2.1m in March.

Many EA's must be feeling the pinch, as this represents less than a 10th of the turnover at peak and about 20% of the average over the past 5 years.

Doc1.doc

Doc2.doc

Doc1.doc

Doc2.doc

I've updated the graphs.

What is interesting is the dramatic drop in house sales, to(11 for the month of March from an average of 67/month over the past 6 years.

Also is the dramatic drop in the total value of the housing stock sold, from about £24m at the peak in July 2004 to only £2.1m in March.

Many EA's must be feeling the pinch, as this represents less than a 10th of the turnover at peak and about 20% of the average over the past 5 years.

Have a look at some more graphs on Home.co.uk in particular http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices....ation=sheffield and

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices_...ield&lastyear=1

Similarly...

http://www.home.co.uk/guides/house_prices....cation=barnsley

Average price of properties for sale in Barnsley: £175,671

Median price: £153,975

Average price of properties for sale in Sheffield: £165,933

Median price: £136,500

As a deedah who emigrated to Barnsley 20 odd years ago, I just cannot believe that the average price in Barnsley has overtaken Sheffield. Barnsley has always been seen as the clinker on the arsehole of Sheffield, and has always been cheaper, seems not any more.

Perhaps Barnsley prices include Penistone sub-area?

Went into Blunders (aka Blundells) at Crystal Peaks this afternoon. Queue formed inside the office and outside the doors, almost blocking Haybrook and Halifax Estate Agency.

Apparently, fifty-odd people wanted to put in an offer on this:

http://212.50.188.106/cgi-win/vebra.cgi?de...7/SCHOO/56523/7

Twenty people viewed it yesterday (BH Monday) and all interested.

Meanwhile, hardly any enquiries on the other properties! Few FTB looking in windows, enquiring about details, but few viewings booked.

smartie

http://www.gmroads.co.uk

Edited by smartie

Looks like this Sheffield thread is a bit neglected, it's where I've just moved to for work so will try to get some new data on here, luckily my house deposit fund is very low, so I'm well out the market and can just observe.

Until I work out how to use OpenOffice Calc, it'll just be some simple tables, no charts.

Property Snake and Rightmove figures for a few Sheffield Postcodes from this evening

PS_and_RM_20080123.GIF

S1 - City Centre

S3 - Plenty of new build flats among older stuff

S8 - Huge mix, but generally older stock

S10 - Split between student areas and big old houses (some not split into flats!)

S20 - Suburbs, mixed region

http://www.blundells.com/blundells/propsearch.php has a nice clear postcode map for Sheffield

Only just moved here last year, so advice on regions to watch and the kind of figures I should be tracking would be useful. I plan to update the table every week or so to see what happens this year.

post-12251-1201140010_thumb.png

Dear Russell;

I think Bart of Darkness is a Sheffielder like myself.

The Post has been neglected because the area is very variable. The center of Sheffield full of flats that hey can only let to students. Very expensive areas to the South west of the city etc so not typical.

Sheffield S20 'mixed area' made me laugh as this is where I live. Prices are silly at times, but like everything if you shop around you get a bargin. Recentlya detached house was sold for less than £130,000 it had been converted from three to two and wanted decorating etc.

I havent done any calculation on average prices for a while. As a guess just in one area 'Sothall'.

Terrace at around £90,000, Semi at around £120,000, Detatched at around £170,000. There is some evidence that all the prices are negotiable. The detached market is interesting as most selling prices. The ones people actually pay are around £10,000 to £15,000 below what the EA's say they are.

The market is definitely quieter than it was a year ago.

Guess I will have to update my figures now.

Its interesting to see some other Sheffielders on here. I bought a house back in October (yes I know the wrong time but needs must) it was obvious back then that the market was quiet to say the least. I was looking for a house in the Norton , Charnock , Mosbrough and Dronfield type areas. EA's couldn't do enough for me (well apart from the Halifax who only ever sent me leaflets for the Hillsborough area but thats the Halifax I didn't expect any different) and I found it interesting to sneak a look at the EA's computer screens when asking about a property. Usually they had been on the market a couple of months and were averaging 1 viewing every couple of weeks there were also little notes on the screen about how the EA had asked them to drop their price but the seller had refused. I spent a dismal month looking at overpriced houses (note to sellers if you build an extension on your drive so you have to park on the road it reduces the value of your property !) before coming across a nice property at a decent price and then knocking the seller down a bit more. Don't get me wrong though I'm sure the place will be worth less next year but this is a home not an investment.

Anyway I was bored earlier in the week and had a look at Rightmove and a few other EA's websites. It was amazing to see the same overpriced properties I visited back in September still on sale in fact it seems as though the market is totally stagnant. The thing is I get the feeling the market here had cooled even before the Northern Rock business.

By the way did anyone else notice the merry go round of houses on Mansfield Road ? For the last couple of years I have seen several houses (always small terraced) on there go for sale and be bought after a few weeks. Then a month or so later a "For Let" sign would go up and stay up for the next 3 months or so. There can't have been any takers as another "For Sale" sign would go up and the cycle would repeat. There appeared to be far more BTL'ers than there were people who wanted to rent. When I saw that it was quite obvious the market was a bubble waiting to pop.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I think Bart of Darkness is a Sheffielder like myself.

Tis true. I won't go into too much detail about where I'm based but if you think Gleadless/S12 you won't be too far out.

I used to check prices fairly regularly but at some point in 2006 I gave up. At that point none of the recent problems (i.e. Northern Rock/Credit Crunch) had manifested themselves, so it got a bit disheartening to see the same prices and places cropping up.

One thing I have noticed is that on checking Propertysnake when it first started, average reductions in my chosen search areas (S12, S20) were usually 3 or 2%, with the odd 5%, now it's more like 8 or 7% with the odd !0 or 12%.

Looking just recently on Rightmove it seems that things are very much the same, asking prices haven't increased, but they haven't gone down much yet. As msp430 says.....

Anyway I was bored earlier in the week and had a look at Rightmove and a few other EA's websites. It was amazing to see the same overpriced properties I visited back in September still on sale in fact it seems as though the market is totally stagnant.

Seems to sum it up for the moment.

Sheffield S20 'mixed area' made me laugh as this is where I live.

S20, in particular Sothall, is my main target area. It's supposed to be a pretty decent area. My main priorities are peace and quiet, would I be disappointed?

S20, in particular Sothall, is my main target area. It's supposed to be a pretty decent area. My main priorities are peace and quiet, would I be disappointed?

No, a lot of guys from work live round there and love it, they seem to be some of the best (quiet, clean, affordable(ish)) areas in Sheffield, I wrote 'mixed' as I couldn't think of a way to sum up the postcode, but I can see that it might be seen as negative, lots of points to anyone who can describe S20 in 5 words or less :P .

I've found that the Sheffield council neighbourhood profiles are useful

http://www.sheffield.gov.uk/in-your-area/snis

Was just gathering data from houseprices.co.uk and on the copyright notice it says that it's up to date to 30/11/07, there's either some data missing or we had massive drop in sales volumes in November

Same 5 postcode areas (S1, S3, S8, S10, S20)

-50% volumes Month on Month

-70% volumes Year on Year

Nov06 - 299 sales at 51M value

Oct07 - 184 sales at 32.5M value

Nov07 - 91 sales at 16M value

I'll add S12 to my data when I get time, plenty of semis to even out the mix of house types in my group.

PS - I drive past a 2-bed flat in an old converted house on the way to work, it's been on the market ever since I've lived here and today I spotted that they've dropped out of the Estate Agent thing and there's now a not so professional hand-painted sign up. What do people think; argument with agent, trying to save on fees for pocket, pass fees saving onto buyer?

Guest Bart of Darkness
they seem to be some of the best (quiet, clean, affordable(ish)) areas in Sheffield

Ta russell, that sounds exactly what I'm after.

I wrote 'mixed' as I couldn't think of a way to sum up the postcode, but I can see that it might be seen as negative

Seems as fair a description as any but I can understand how the term could be interpreted negatively. Isn't Westfield an area to avoid buying into if possible?

I've found that the Sheffield council neighbourhood profiles are useful

I saw this quote on there about Sothall.

Sothall was identified by consumer credit group Experian as the fourth most under-priced place to live in the country, indicating that living in the neighbourhood represented good value for money.

I think the area is considered underpriced in terms of quality of life vs. cost of houses. Usually you have to pay extra for a decent area as everyone else wants to live there as well.