House Price Crash Forum

Don't Do It! (Cashing Out 401Ks)

HOLA441
Guest P-Diddly

This is mine for today...

Electric for laptop

4 coffees (2 at work for free)

Scotch egg for breakfast (I kid you not)

Lunch...fish from supermarket cheap shelf 40p, chips (from potatoes in garden)wife chopping now.

No heating on yet, wearing 2 fleeces.(+ this is a council house built in the fifties, not some flimsy new build)

2 litres of petrol to get to work this evening.10 miles by Rover 414,get back 10:15pm.

Uk poverty and Thail poverty are not so different.

Nope. Pretty much the same, although this lot here have houses with no rent or mortgage, cheap electric and water and gas and acre upon acre of productive farmland. They're the rich ones as I've explained to them recently, they just need to organise better and get rid of any thoughts of keekeeat (laziness).

Personally speaking I've never lived rich so I'm actually missing nothing at all. No change here.

HOLA442
HOLA443

survival today is important what is the point of saving tommorow if you can never get there?.

The point is that if you are cashing a 401k to pay debts you should probably just declare yourself bankrupt instead. The 401k survives the bankruptcy.

Complete madness to keep money in the 401K. Any dollar assets will be virtually worthless.

They should take the money out and buy gold/silver/oil etc etc.

Surely if the 401k is invested in equities those companies will still have value even if the dollar disappears? If I own an ExxonMobil share it is still a share, when you regard it as worth $100 or 1 gold coin?

Don't fund a pension, it certainly won't be there for you retirement.

Perhaps you think it probably won't be there, almost certainly won't be there even, but the truth is none of us can be 100% sure. It could be 30-40 years before I retire: nothing can be said with any certainty about what the world will be like at that time.

HOLA444

Agree. My personal consumption per day is now.

Electric for PC

20 cheap cigs

4 mugs of coffee

2 eggs

1 pack of noodles

Electric for fan and a light bulb

Some water

2 litres of gasoline a week for moped thing

. . . . and I've never been happier! :(

wow. livin a vida loca !!!

Christ thats depression, the only reliable food in Siberia was noodles ramen to be precise, I got tired of it after the 5th day.

i think i can top this with a 30 day ramen run with.......only luke warm tap water. no kettle !!!

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
Guest P-Diddly

Ah nicotine and caffeine the two major food groups or as I call it 'the whore's breakfast'

I know you're diabetic Diddly, you should try and eat a bit better; for your own sake. ;)

As you said that, I've just had a pack of noodles with some fake crab meat stick things.

It wasn't very nice.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
Guest P-Diddly

Fake crab meat??

I know. I've no idea what it is. Those artificial crab stick things. I buy about a bag a month for around £2. Mix a few in with the noodles, a pack comes to about 4p.

Frugal ******* 'in I?

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

You've all completely missed the point I fear.

401k plans have big tax benefits.

If you cash in your 401k before retirement, those tax benefits no longer apply and the tax must be payed.

This tax could be a huge proportion of the 401k, especially as a large portion of the 401k has been lost by pension funds making poor investments.

If I understand this correctly, the 401k makes a profit each year. In a normal investment fund that profit would be taxed, but in a 401k it isn't.

The tax that should have been paid each year is added up if you cash it in early.

Theoretically, if the pension funds keep screwing up, many 401k plans may end up being worth less than the tax that would be owed if they ere cashed in early.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416