House Price Crash Forum

Trains Killing Jobs

pathfinder

HOLA441

Thanks to a boom and the smoke and mirrors over the last 2 years I think London could fast become an island with a whooping great big financial moat around it.

So ive been out of work for months, get an offer for a job £17 hr this is a drop of 23%. No problem I want to work, i have not worked in London for a while, there are a few dance classes i want to goto so its handy. Well I went to find the price of a train ticket. £100 a week, take into account tax I would have to work 6.5 hrs to cover the commute. Add in travel times, I used to think commuting into London was mad now is it possible?

I have got my craft idea rolling so lose 1 days salary a week or give my idea a shot and have no commute.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Thanks to a boom and the smoke and mirrors over the last 2 years I think London could fast become an island with a whooping great big financial moat around it.

So ive been out of work for months, get an offer for a job £17 hr this is a drop of 23%. No problem I want to work, i have not worked in London for a while, there are a few dance classes i want to goto so its handy. Well I went to find the price of a train ticket. £100 a week, take into account tax I would have to work 6.5 hrs to cover the commute. Add in travel times, I used to think commuting into London was mad now is it possible?

I have got my craft idea rolling so lose 1 days salary a week or give my idea a shot and have no commute.

It's more like 8 hours, I make it. So that's Mondays spoken for. And that's just the first in a long list of costs you'll be incurring by not staying at home.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Our transport systems are the veins of our economy the blood and the lifeline of what we can do and what we are able to do....IMO what we have got to put up with and the price we have to pay for a second class service puts us to shame compared with the rest of Europe...frankly it is disgraceful. :ph34r:

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

Erm, £100/week sounds a lot! How far is that commuting from?

How much of that job can you do by telecommuting? If, for example, you can get by on one day a week traveling in to the London office, the economics could make much more sense.

HOLA448
HOLA449

You might want to consider applying for a disabled persons railcard (1/3 off tickets) - I have one (profoundly deaf) and expected some questions at least (I am not registered disabled because I am perfectly capable of working) but no, self certify yourself, pop a cheque in the post and bobs your uncle. Saves me a good £100 a month on my work commute.

(I'll pre-empt eric with the LIAR CARDS theme)

HOLA4410
Erm, £100/week sounds a lot! How far is that commuting from?

Is 100 per week a lot ? I have a long commute and know lots of people who do the same. The train is bursting every day....

edit for rephrase: £100 is a lot, but it is not unusual..

Edited by waynezilla

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
You might want to consider applying for a disabled persons railcard (1/3 off tickets) - I have one (profoundly deaf) and expected some questions at least (I am not registered disabled because I am perfectly capable of working) but no, self certify yourself, pop a cheque in the post and bobs your uncle. Saves me a good £100 a month on my work commute.

(I'll pre-empt eric with the LIAR CARDS theme)

Good for you.....what goes around goes around...this week this very healthy looking (younger than me) girl got off the tube ran down to the station car park disabled parking spot, jumped in the car and drove off...what hasn't she got that I have got? ;)

HOLA4413
Our transport systems are the veins of our economy the blood and the lifeline of what we can do and what we are able to do....IMO what we have got to put up with and the price we have to pay for a second class service puts us to shame compared with the rest of Europe...frankly it is disgraceful. :ph34r:

Well said that man!

And I feel your pain OP. Heartbreaking that a day of your after tax salary goes to the greedy and inefficient train companies / government.

HOLA4414
Guest skullingtonjoe
Good for you.....what goes around goes around...this week this very healthy looking (younger than me) girl got off the tube ran down to the station car park disabled parking spot, jumped in the car and drove off...what hasn't she got that I have got? ;)

Jugs? :rolleyes:

HOLA4415

Another hinderence to the economic recovery..

I'm priced out of moving closer to work, and even if you weren't, no job is secure enough to mean you won't have to do the same thing every few years. Best to suck it up and get used to the commute. There is no alternative.

I've commuted every day from Warrington to Sheffield on the crappiest, overcrowded trains for 9 years. I've been through a whole range of emotions over the years. I used to be bitter and twisted, but now I'm resigned to the daily slog...

HOLA4416
Well said that man!

And I feel your pain OP. Heartbreaking that a day of your after tax salary goes to the greedy and inefficient train companies / government.

I have to say that I have travelled by train and underground throughout Europe and the speed, quality of service and price far exceeds anything we in the UK can provide. ;)

HOLA4417

Have you concidered a motorbike, for your commute.

HOLA4418
Reading to Central London, to be fair it is a good old slog. I have not considered London since 2000, off the radar now thats for sure :D.

Hate the underground, Ive walked Waterloo to Euston rather than use the tube (in the rain)!

Strange person. There is little to pick between sunny and rainy days when underground.

Legs?

p-o-p

HOLA4419

First Great Western are criminals for charging that much.

But we also need to examine Government policy of concentrating economic activity and jobs in London. There needs to be a better thought out regional policy which means people don't have to commute long distances for decent jobs - unless they want to.

HOLA4420

But we also need to examine Government policy of concentrating economic activity and jobs in London. There needs to be a better thought out regional policy which means people don't have to commute long distances for decent jobs - unless they want to.

No way.

That's where there second homes are, they need house prices high so that when they get kicked out they go out with a bung.

HOLA4421

No we shouldn't.

Government should stay well clear of this sort of shit. Businesses set up where they feel is best. Skewing the playing field with social engineering is the last thing that governments should be doing.

p-o-p

HOLA4422
No we shouldn't.

Government should stay well clear of this sort of shit. Businesses set up where they feel is best. Skewing the playing field with social engineering is the last thing that governments should be doing.

p-o-p

Of course you are right. We should have all the civil service and other government jobs in London. Can't see anything wrong with that at all. We need not worry as businesses will take care of the social needs of society - not the Government.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425