House Price Crash Forum

Too Fat To Be A Model? The Picture That Caused A Storm In The Fashion World

interestrateripoff

HOLA441

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/200...iller-model-fat

'It's a photo that measures all of three by three inches," gushes Cindi Leive, editor of US Glamour in a post on the magazine's blog, "but the letters about it started to flood my inbox literally the day Glamour hit newsstands." The picture in question, illustrating a story about body confidence, has generated more than 700 comments on the site, and featured on the US Today morning TV programme. What does it show? A beautiful, creamy-skinned naked model . . . with a small roll of stomach fat.

Lizzie Miller, the 20-year-old model in question, agrees that it's astonishing that, at 5ft 11in and 12.5 stone she's considered a "plus size" model. "It's sad," she says. "In the industry anything over size six is considered a plus-size." Miller, who is around a US size 12-14 (that is, either average or slightly below average) lost about 60lb when she was 13 but today she is considered too large to model for plus-size lines Marina Rinaldi (she says, "they like girls who are an 8-10") or Elena Miro. She says that the overwhelming reaction to the tiny photograph, buried on page 194 of Glamour magazine "shows that the world is hungry to see pictures of normal women."

One wouldn't have thought this would be news. As Miller says, "pretty much every picture in a magazine or ad is airbrushed . . . I don't think the public understands how much smoke and mirrors are involved in making women look like that."

So does the reaction to this picture mean that the tide is turning? Hardly. Even after the deluge of emails, Leive hasn't made a commitment to using average-sized women in fashion shoots, saying only that the magazine wants to celebrate "all kinds of beauty". The outcome for Miller, though, has been more positive. She has received more offers of work since the picture was published. And her model agency, Wilhelmina, has told her that she mustn't lose any weight.

lizzie-miller-001.jpg

No wonder women feel pressurized into looking a certain way, even when they are normal they are slim enough to be photographed.

I don't know anyone who finds the anorexic look favoured by the fashion industry as attractive. Curves are much sexier than bones sticking out, yet this is the image rammed down women's throats.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

She is tidy. I would imagine 99% of people would have some sort of 'rollover' when leaning over like that. Even extremely fit toned people usually have some sort of hangover.

This is her from the front - lovely wee stomach.

0303-lizzie-miller_at.jpg

HOLA443
HOLA444

rightly or wrongly these birds are paid thousands per day to look shlt hot (was it kate moss who famously said I wouldnt get out of bed for less than 10 grand a day)

So to have a belly like that isnt shlt hot

Women presurise themselves, they are f*ckin idiots, every bird I know has shoes that absolutely killl their feet.....to look good

They are natural born morons.

I was saying this only last night..................................... what sort of f*ckin idiot buys hair extensions?

HOLA445
every bird I know has shoes that absolutely killl their feet.....to look good

They are natural born morons.

Sounds like you surround yourself with morons.

One wonders why.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest DisposableHeroes
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/200...iller-model-fat

lizzie-miller-001.jpg

No wonder women feel pressurized into looking a certain way, even when they are normal they are slim enough to be photographed.

I don't know anyone who finds the anorexic look favoured by the fashion industry as attractive. Curves are much sexier than bones sticking out, yet this is the image rammed down women's throats.

She's got very a nice face, she should get her fat **** off to the gym though.

HOLA448
From a career point of view she might be better of as a very attractive larger model than one of thousands of attractive stick thin wannabe models.

Attention to detail people !! :lol:

"but today she is considered too large to model for plus-size lines Marina Rinaldi"

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Nothing wrong with that lady at all - Done worse many a time :unsure:

Absolutely, she's gorgeous.

But if you want to be a model you need to attain a near perfect physique and that does not include a flabby belly. If she wishes to go into career that judges exclusively on looks then you need to look damn near perfect.

Is she wishes to do any other career, well hey - I'd employ her!

HOLA4413

She has a gut, ergo she is fat.

These kinds of women never existed before the last few hundred/thousand years. It is the result of a modern diet.

Body fat has been a minimum for long before, except during pregnancy.

I think it's sad that women think "curvy" is OK i.e. fat. And guys who are conditioned to think and believe that curvy=attractive.

I don't want to offend anyone, indeed I am about 20kg overweight myself and I hate it.

Anoerix models with huge hip bones are unattractive I agree.

But women and men should have low body fat.

What is the perfect amount?

First, there needs to be no belly. A smooth and steep drop transition from abdominals area to pussy. The abs don't have to show but I do find that very sexy although it is close to the lower limit.

The best identifier is the hole in the throat thing (tendons). There should be a little depression - this means perfect body fat. I saw in the English Patient the other day that Ray Fiennes has the same idea! And he is correct!

The sight of a woman like this with sweat forming in this area is very sexy indeed!

HOLA4414

These kinds of women never existed before the last few hundred/thousand years. It is the result of a modern diet.

I think it's sad that women think "curvy" is OK i.e. fat. And guys who are conditioned to think and believe that curvy=attractive.

I don't want to offend anyone, indeed I am about 20kg overweight myself and I hate it.

First, there needs to be no belly. A smooth and steep drop transition from abdominals area to pussy. The abs don't have to show but I do find that very sexy although it is close to the lower limit.

The best identifier is the hole in the throat thing (tendons). There should be a little depression - this means perfect body fat. I saw in the English Patient the other day that Ray Fiennes has the same idea! And he is correct!

The sight of a woman like this with sweat forming in this area is very sexy indeed!

I think the world would be a better place if you'd kept this inside your head and ensured sufficient masturbation to a avoid a serial killing spree.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Only 20Kg , 44 lb or 3 Stone 2 Pounds - you lightweight.

May be we need a new thread on HPCers body weights!

I'm about 16 stone, having put on about 1 1/2 stone in the last 13 years since being at University where even when I was very fit (trained 6 - 8 times a week) I clocked in about 14 1/2 stone. So a bit fat now, but I have always been a built like a brick privy and my BMI has always been high even when I had little body fat - for just over 6 foot I am told I am supposed to weight 12 stone, but I think I weighed that much when I was 13 years old - good for school rugby mind you.

HOLA4417
I think the world would be a better place if you'd kept this inside your head and ensured sufficient masturbation to a avoid a serial killing spree.

what? I did say "no offence". Sorry if you can't handle the truth! We're not talking about what's inside (which is far more important), simply what's outside.

I think people should quit kidding themselves about "curves". It's like believing that property is some kind of deserved get rich tool.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424

So you're saying that no woman ever fattened themselves up at the end of summer to try and get through winter before our modern diet came along?

And just how modern is a modern diet? Within the last hundred years? If so then there are plenty of classic paintings of fat women out there. If not, then has the diet really changed that much from 300 years ago to earlier?

HOLA4425

Archived