Why Do Normal People Live In London

HOLA441
  • Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
Perfectly valid question, why do people who earn less than say £30k live in London when they could live for less anywhere else, what is the housing cost versus earning

I'd say the same for anyone earning more as well. I've got a flat in London as I used to have to be there quite a bit, but find myself there less and less. I just don't like it at all and can't understand the appeal. Feel it's got a lot worse over the last 10-15 years can't really explain why.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
some of London's boroughs had some pretty awful unemployment - even before the recession.

I think Tower Hamlets was ~13%.

Imagine what the rate would be if all the people in tower hamlets were moved to the country

Sorry not very clear, but i hope you get my drift

Edit to add..i take your point

Edited by Stars

HOLA448

Because once it's under your skin you couldn't live anywhere else. The only city that comes close is New York and that still doesn't match the magic of London.

HOLA449
Perfectly valid question, why do people who earn less than say £30k live in London when they could live for less anywhere else, what is the housing cost versus earning

I remember a comedian on TV who did a sketch about visiting London. He said that you knew you were in London because when you blew your nose it came out black.

Personally I have never been able to see the attraction of living in London. I remember a few years ago the New Scientist magazine did a survey in major UK cities. They had people record the number of returned smiles. London was bottom of the list.

HOLA4410

I also suspect that a lot of London workers receive significant subsidies, whether in the form of state benefits (very generous if you've got children), free accommodation through living with parents, etc. etc.

The only thing that is a lot more expensive in London than anywhere else is housing. Admittedly I haven't lived there full time since 1992, but I do visit relatives frequently and my impression is that the price of basic, non-discretionary items (food, council tax, utility bills etc.) is pretty much the same there as in any provincial city and large town.

So if you're not having to pay the full market rate for your rent or mortgage, I wouldn't have thought that your cost of living in the capital would be that much more than anywhere else.

HOLA4411

Work, really. There are plenty of other places I'd like to live, but the jobs aren't there for me.

The housing cost is insane, mind you, so I'm not sure it really does add up.

Mind you, after 20 odd years you get used to the damn place!

Top tip for quality of life in town - avoid public transport, get a pushbike. Best thing I've ever done.

HOLA4412

In my experience they *feel* like theyre missing out on something if they dont. Personally ive found you can have as good a time in any medium sized city if you know where to go and have good company. I guess if you want to work in politics and visit art galleries all the time its the only place for you, but they are hardly normal people.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
There is more work in London - that's why cities form in the first place

And collapse. When the dust settles will London look a lot different from any other declining post-industrial city like Birmingham or Manchester.

I also suspect that a lot of London workers receive significant subsidies, whether in the form of state benefits (very generous if you've got children), free accommodation through living with parents, etc. etc.

The only thing that is a lot more expensive in London than anywhere else is housing. Admittedly I haven't lived there full time since 1992, but I do visit relatives frequently and my impression is that the price of basic, non-discretionary items (food, council tax, utility bills etc.) is pretty much the same there as in any provincial city and large town.

So if you're not having to pay the full market rate for your rent or mortgage, I wouldn't have thought that your cost of living in the capital would be that much more than anywhere else.

Big Dick Whittington factor I always think. A lot of graduates spend their twenties in London trying to break into the creative industries. As everyone wants those jobs it pushes wages down to an unsustainable level, when they don't breakthrough to the higher salaries I reckon a lot, particularly women, go back to the provinces when they hit their thirties to settle down.

HOLA4415
[sNIP]

+1 this is my experience, having lived in a few cities around the UK

Although I am certainly planning on moving away from the smoke in the not too distant future the commuting is hell TBH...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Well if you were born there you had no option but to live there, your family is there your friends are there just like any other place you grew up in, was brought/dragged up in....London is a great place for young people that have the get up and go and want to make more of their lives, London is the place to meet people, make friends and influence people. London is vibrant and fast...London lives.

Other places are far nicer for other reasons...it all depends what you want from your life. ;)

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Guest anorthosite
Because once it's under your skin you couldn't live anywhere else. The only city that comes close is New York and that still doesn't match the magic of London.

Is that the kind of magic that splits your soul into pieces at the cost of another's life and then leaves you a ghostly half shell of a human, barely able to comprehend the warmth and love of another human being?

HOLA4425