House Price Crash Forum

A Visit To The Job Center - Dear God !

HOLA441
Yep, world gone mad. Who has 20-30k in account and buys a car on credit? Answer: Probably nearly everyone.

On the other issues i don't think telling "white lies" is possible to the government, it's a little more black and white than that to them.

The people who get away with it do it with studied planning, and then make it sound simple. The ones who follow in a more haphazard way are more likely to get caught and with so many new applicants they'll be looking for a few people to make examples of most likely.

I'm not a gold bug by any means and i don't think now's a good time to buy etc but i can't help thinking it would be unlikely the tax man would come and count the gold bars between your floorboards? Bought anonymously for cash in sub 5k quantities of course.

This has probably been stated many times before but could you give me some insight.

1) Where can you buy Gold Bars rather than E-Gold from ?

2) Once you have removed it from (the bank) or wherever its kept, and you take it home. Say you want to cash it in, do you get a certificate proving the content of Gold and does it need to be retested for purity.

3) How can Gold be taken out of the Country, lets just say I wanted to take it to Thailand are there any restrictions in popping it in my hand luggage or suitcase or does it have to go by another method.

If you can point me the right direction, I would be greatful. My money is doing beggar all in the bank and I have no debts to worry about but I want the security of an asset that cannot be traced and take away from me, at least the authorities.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest มร หล&#3
I think it depends on the person and the role. I sure wouldnt be employing a woman of breeding age, would be crazy. Unless of course I wanted a pretty dolly on the reception say.

That's the spirit! :D

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
you did help a very upset 56 year old friend of your wife go to the jobcentre which is a good thing in its self well done

i am sure that he or her know that when your over 50 its going to be very hard to find a job

I said to her, that she could try anything she could to get to retirement only a couple of years away for her.

HOLA446
HOLA447
This has probably been stated many times before but could you give me some insight.

2) Once you have removed it from (the bank) or wherever its kept, and you take it home. Say you want to cash it in, do you get a certificate proving the content of Gold and does it need to be retested for purity.

3) How can Gold be taken out of the Country, lets just say I wanted to take it to Thailand are there any restrictions in popping it in my hand luggage or suitcase or does it have to go by another method.

If you can point me the right direction, I would be greatful. My money is doing beggar all in the bank and I have no debts to worry about but I want the security of an asset that cannot be traced and take away from me, at least the authorities.

Thanks in advance.

This thread will now commence lockdown.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest มร หล&#3

Thanks in advance.

There's plenty of retail consultants over here to help you choose golwd at da gowld shup!

HOLA4410
£29,000 in savings

Car on finance £12,000

Credit card debts/Loans outstanding £20,000 approx

Some people just dont get it. Why pay interest on credit card debt when you have the money to pay it off?

HOLA4411
Guest มร หล&#3
Some people just dont get it. Why pay interest on credit card debt when you have the money to pay it off?

Some people just dont get it. Why pay interest on a huge mortgage debt when you'll never have the money to pay it off?

HOLA4412
When claiming Job Seekers DO NOT disclose your savings, when I was unemployed I told them I had no savings just a few hundred £ in my Lloyds. They never check and its only £60 you get anyway.

Its always the fckers who never pay in who get the most benefit, and the deserving people get peanuts all out.

Being unemployed and going to the job center makes you feel like one of the wasters in this country. She will just have to shrugg it off and apply for jobs. Most jobs never bother replying when you apply (rude bastards). Eventually she will get something.

Your comments on savings is way off the mark,The council and DWP have programs going 24 hours a day matching savings account with claimants names their power is frightning .

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
The trouble I have with this one, is all my savings accounts want to link to my current account. So i have large sums moving through them as I close one savings account and move to others.

This of course only matters if they ask to see bank statements? Is that likely?

I have more than one current account for just this purpose (3 actually). May seem like over-kill, but it leaves my main current account free of large transactions.

HOLA4415
Guest skullingtonjoe
+1

Definately.

Although it's no good to her now, there are sites on the net which give this sort of info.

Shame she's up to her eye balls in mortgage debt, hope she's covered and can find work soonish.

I know it`s really naughty, but never tell social anything about your business (literally or otherwise!) ;)

HOLA4416
This morning, I went with a very distressed friend of my Wife's who has lost her Job at the end of last week. She had been in constant employment since 1980, so it was a shock and as a friend of the family, I went with her for support.

The visit to the Job Center in Oldham (Lancashire) is a soul destroying seige and an successful attempt to lower you from a person to a numpty of the state. How many people a year commit suicide after their first visit to the job center, I do not know, but I bet a large proportion of them found have a smile on their face, as they will never have to endure such indignation again.

Let me tell us some non identifyable back story.

Our family friend is 56 years old.

Female

Never been unemployed.

British/White

1 Child (Studying at University)

No dependants

1 House with mortgage (145,000 approx) outstanding.

£29,000 in savings

Car on finance £12,000

Credit card debts/Loans outstanding £20,000 approx

This is what she was told today.

The reason for the visit to the JC is because if you were not aware, you cannot claim Job Seekers Allowance (JSA) if you have a certain level of saving. The computer says no.

We went to ask the possibility of using the savings in her account, to pay off her debts, get the car repossesed, buy a new smaller run around car etc.

We were told "This is classed as disposing of the savings, in order to claim state benefit and we still wouldnt pay any benefits, only national insurance".

We asked what help is there regarding payments on her mortgage.

We were told, "We do not cover mortgage payments, you should have taken out payment protection insurance, to cover you, in thisw situation".

We asked if she treated her savings as income and lived off it, until she found a new job, when her savings were depleted could she then apply for benefits.

We were told "As long as the adjudication officer does not think that you have disposed of any assets, then you may reapply".

She was in a pretty bad state before we went into, she was a wreck when we left. The system does not work in its present form to provide a safety net for those who have just lost their jobs. It only works for career claimants, who know the system and play it very well.

She has gone to the CAB (Citizens Advice) for further information.

Do not cancel or miss payments on PPI, if you need it and dont have it - YOU MAY LOSE YOUR HOME !

Never never ever claim JSO.Go to the docs,tell him about job loss etc and that you cant face getting up in a morn.Hel sign you off on the sick.Then claim sickness benefit.Its the same amount but no hasstle.Then get rid of the savings.Put some in a relatives account and some off the mortgage.After 6 months come off the sick and claim income support.

The system hates anyone who has tried.Play it at its own game.Its the only way im afraid.

HOLA4417
Guest มร หล&#3
Ive nailed 80% of mine on 5 years, most of my mates are over paying theirs too.

100% in three years. Two houses, two acres over looking the sea and 30 arces of farmland.

HOLA4418
Some people just dont get it. Why pay interest on a huge mortgage debt when you'll never have the money to pay it off?

Fear Mr Parry.People like to know they can access cash quickly.In this enviroment i agree with them.Ironic but theyd be better off with bullion in a safe deposit box.

HOLA4419
I think it depends on the person and the role. I sure wouldnt be employing a woman of breeding age, would be crazy. Unless of course I wanted a pretty dolly on the reception say.

I really hope you're taking the p1ss. If not, you really are a prize n0b head!

HOLA4420
Guest มร หล&#3
Fear Mr Parry.People like to know they can access cash quickly.In this enviroment i agree with them.Ironic but theyd be better off with bullion in a safe deposit box.

Never been in debt. Scared of it. Always paid cash.

Agree. Cash now gives me the ebbie-jebbies.

HOLA4421
Guest มร หล&#3

No Kara, Johnny's right!

No decent firm is complete without a lovely on the front desk.

HOLA4422
100% in three years. Two houses, two acres over looking the sea and 30 arces of farmland.

Proves my point - you can pay down mortgages a lot faster than 25 years if you dont put 20k on a credit card, buy an expensive car etc.

HOLA4423
Guest มร หล&#3
Proves my point - you can pay down mortgages a lot faster than 25 years if you dont put 20k on a credit card, buy an expensive car etc.

Never had a mortgage. Never been in debt.

Oh agreed. People are mental. Why risk a home for a silly car + trinkets?

Edited by มร หลบเลี่ยง

HOLA4424

No, im deadly serious. Do you really think people would choose to employ someone who can take a year off work, that I have to keep their job open for them. Even though by the time they come back they have probably forgot how to do everything. AND I probably have to pay over the odds to employ a temp to do their role as well.

Or was your comment re the dolly bird on the reception?

HOLA4425
And for all the good 60 quid a week will do someone with 30K in savings, it's rarely worth the hassle of even asking about benefits.

Well I 've got considerably more than that in savings plus a I have also received a redundancy settlement worth more than that AND I have a pension but I still consider it worthwhile claiming £64.30 p.w NIC based JSA.

Jeez, are you telling me you would turn down an extra £260 a month for the 'hassle' of signing a bit of paper once a fortnight?

Because of my Pension income I am getting taxed on my JSA as it's a taxable benefit which knocks it down - but it's still got to be worth it.

If OPs 'friend' has been paying NIC for 30 years as I have, then they ought to claw some benefit back, thats what its there for.

For the first 6 months you don't have to take a job that pays less than your old one so the friend wont be under too much pressure ....in fact as the claiment count is rocketting she will probably be quickly moved onto signing by post as I have just been- so you dont even have to turn up and rub shoulders with the great unwashed the money just plops into bank A/C.

I would seriously suggest ignoring advice posted here to commit benefit fraud.

It's a slippery slope.

Using savings to pay off debts is the best advice offered on here, Credit Cards and loans usually have the most onerous IRs but of course the DWP will consider these as non essential debt and repayment as disposing of savings - however a Mortgage is classed as an essential debt and my understanding is this can paid off without penalty.

Perhaps someone on here can confirm this?

Perhaps it might them be possible to transfer some of the other debt onto the mortgage without upsetting the DWP?

Could be worth looking into.

Hamish, the thing to remember about all these idiots like me down at the dole office is that we won't be investing in property any time soon.

And each week there are more and more of us.

DWP has just taken on 10,000 extra advisers for the Job centres.

On a 2 year contract. :lol:

claimantcount_tcm119-35483.jpg