House Price Crash Forum

Taxman Calls In Debt Collectors

HOLA441
Umm, I'm not sure that I understand exactly where you're coming from. Care to elucidate?

which bit? public servants? all of em take tax money and then kindly give some of it back in PAYE etc. they could save themselves a job and just take the net amount. its a bit like you giving me a tenner, and then me giving you it back, and saying I gave you a tenner.

HOLA442
which bit? public servants? all of em take tax money and then kindly give some of it back in PAYE etc. they could save themselves a job and just take the net amount. its a bit like you giving me a tenner, and then me giving you it back, and saying I gave you a tenner.

It was your "harrassment of the private sector" that threw me.

HOLA443
It was your "harrassment of the private sector" that threw me.

I don't really see them harrassing the public sector with any of this.

edit: for the aforementioned reason, they don't pay tax, just give back some of the tax they have taken.

Edited by davidhpc

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Have you noticed how during the time that NuLab has been in government we have subtly shifted from an innocent until proved guilty assumption to a guilty until proved innocent assumption?

It's more than worrying, it's the death knell to the British legal system as we have known it for centuries.

'They' basically tore up some of the laws enshrined in the Magna Carta in the last decade - whilst most were engaged in quaffing champagne and mewing for more!

The Magna Carta is not worth the Vellum it's written on any more!

And if you think - most of Western World 'law' is based on it . . . . .

I just found out ODIN was a one eyed git - hint, Scottish Rite higher degrees have to learn Viking lore!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
New Labour abrogated the Right to Silence pretty much day one of their reign of terror.

Then they introduced ASBOs - Punishment without conviction.

Then, "Proceeds of Crime Confiscation", of course you have to prove your money or goods are lawfully acquired - they don't have to prove a crime.

Executive Detention - You're guilty because we say you are.

Double Jeopardy...

etc

You'd think the Nazis were in power.

:lol:

New Labour have a lot in common with the Nazis, for example the Nazi's are the only power to ban fox hunting, they hired IBM to develop a national database which they used to round up "undesirables", that is anyone who had the temerity to challenge them, and then of course it was used as an instrument for the "final solution". If the Nazi's had the DNA profiling database they would have used it to ensure the purity of the Arian race, we of course will use it to discourage birth defects, denial of insurance for certain conditions etc, purity of the race???

HOLA4410
New Labour abrogated the Right to Silence pretty much day one of their reign of terror.

Then they introduced ASBOs - Punishment without conviction.

Then, "Proceeds of Crime Confiscation", of course you have to prove your money or goods are lawfully acquired - they don't have to prove a crime.

Executive Detention - You're guilty because we say you are.

Double Jeopardy...

etc

You'd think the Nazis were in power.

:lol:

...and on-the-spot fines, utterly illegitimate.

HOLA4411
My missus STILL hasn't had her tax bill after submitting her return months ago so had to pay what she calculated it to be. If they find she owes more, apparently she'll be fined for late payment. :huh:

That will teach you to calculate wrongly won't it. :ph34r:

Does customer service exist at the revenues office, surely these penalties could be challenged in court as unfair?

HOLA4412
If the Tories are serious about winning the election they would state now that this would be repealed immediately under their watch.

Why... surely if you owe the tax then it should be paid... demands fro the tax office would have been sent, there would have ample opportunity to dispute the amount... I don't see the problem with calling in debt collectors if people refuse to pay the tax they owe once suitable demands have been sent.... it costs money to chase these debts so people should pay those costs as well... those that pay their taxes will not have a problem, its those that refuse who will be chased and rack up bills and rightly so.

Now if you want to legally reduce your tax that's a different matter... I pay very little legally... and have reduced it further by importing wine myself whenever I go to france and have just given up smoking (which is what 90% tax) etc etc...... but not paying something you owe deserves to be treated severely.

HOLA4413
Why... surely if you owe the tax then it should be paid... demands fro the tax office would have been sent, there would have ample opportunity to dispute the amount... I don't see the problem with calling in debt collectors if people refuse to pay the tax they owe once suitable demands have been sent.... it costs money to chase these debts so people should pay those costs as well... those that pay their taxes will not have a problem, its those that refuse who will be chased and rack up bills and rightly so.

Now if you want to legally reduce your tax that's a different matter... I pay very little legally... and have reduced it further by importing wine myself whenever I go to france and have just given up smoking (which is what 90% tax) etc etc...... but not paying something you owe deserves to be treated severely.

You totally misunderstand the contract between the citizen and the state.

Taxes are an involuntary levy to the individual, by the state, in order to support the state/government apparatus.

This intimate contract must never be coerced by outside influence, or the relationship ceases.

Yes, you must pay your taxes, but at no time should the reclamation process become a profit making venture for private interest. Your taxes are strictly for redistribution, back in the state apparatus which supports you.

This isn't an overdue movie, a late mortgage or credit card payment. All of those things are obliging to you voluntary agree to terms.

The contract between citizen and state is not voluntary. By paying a percentage of your overdue taxes to a private tax collector, they are essentially pilfering the public pot and denying essential revenue stream to those who genuinely need support.

If we do choose to follow this path, then I recommend everybody withhold their taxes in protest. Of course most of you won't though, as most Brits are complacent, law abiding cowards.

Next you will be submitting your tax returns to your local authority, or whomever they deem fit to look over you most intimate financial details....

Don't you get it!

HOLA4414

Evil.

Stealing is wrong.

HOLA4415
You totally misunderstand the contract between the citizen and the state.

Taxes are an involuntary levy to the individual, by the state, in order to support the state/government apparatus.

This intimate contract must never be coerced by outside influence, or the relationship ceases.

Yes, you must pay your taxes, but at no time should the reclamation process become a profit making venture for private interest. Your taxes are strictly for redistribution, back in the state apparatus which supports you.

This isn't an overdue movie, a late mortgage or credit card payment. All of those things are obliging to you voluntary agree to terms.

The contract between citizen and state is not voluntary. By paying a percentage of your overdue taxes to a private tax collector, they are essentially pilfering the public pot and denying essential revenue stream to those who genuinely need support.

If we do choose to follow this path, then I recommend everybody withhold their taxes in protest. Of course most of you won't though, as most Brits are complacent, law abiding cowards.

Next you will be submitting your tax returns to your local authority, or whomever they deem fit to look over you most intimate financial details....

Don't you get it!

Contracts are voluntary.

There is no such thing as a non voluntary contract.

taxation is theft, pure and simple.

Edited by Injin

HOLA4416
Taxman calls in debt collectors

Now is the time for some serious re-think about the state of our British ‘democracy’.

Or perhaps a reassessment of one's obligation to pay tax. I pay mine.

Note to self: must leave landlords details with HM revenue when I leave next month- silly billy has not paid tax on 4 years rent apparently. As for the 220K cash he used to buy the place in 2003-can he account for it? Time will tell.

HOLA4417
Or perhaps a reassessment of one's obligation to pay tax. I pay mine.

Note to self: must leave landlords details with HM revenue when I leave next month- silly billy has not paid tax on 4 years rent apparently. As for the 220K cash he used to buy the place in 2003-can he account for it? Time will tell.

You have no such obligation.

Nothing more than a stick up.

HOLA4418
Guest vicmac64
You lot are funny!

Surely, this is privatisation. The state off-loading some of its work to the more efficient private sector.

What's not to like about that, you bunch of anti-statist, right-wing, libertarian nutcases?

The corruption - thats what.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Move along now. Nothing to see.

Or, in other words, this is a slippery slope we've been on for longer than I can remember. Outsourcing of tax collection goes back to PAYE, VAT, and their predecessors, to name but two.

BTW, got my tax rebate for 2008/9 today. Given that they picked me out for investigation (I don't think they like people who claim five-figure rebates very much), that was quicker-than-expected. The scary bit was when they supplied me with bogus information: http://bahumbug.wordpress.com/2009/05/15/t...misinformation/