House Price Crash Forum

English Pound Devalues 40pc Against Scottish Pound - -

0q0

HOLA441

Take a look at the cereal aisle in a certain well-known supermarket and you'll find packets of Scottish Porridge Oats. The 500 grams are now 65p each, just a week ago they were 45p (and indeed another supermarket, Asda, had them on special offer for a while at 25p before returning to 39p).

This can only mean that Eng£1 is now worth about 40% less against Sco£1.

The wall is going back up.

This government has the gall to pretend we have deflation risks. IN WHAT? Office furniture? A laptop that people buy once every 3 years? WHAT EXACTLY???

Petrol is up again locally, Tesco now 91.9p a litre (but double Intheclub points, big deal).

We have I N F L A T I O N, whether it's rising at 4% a month or 40% a year, and what does Penfold do? He caves in to Big Mouth American 'Davidanny' and slashes interest rates - crucifying savers to save the necks of liar loaners - then moans on the tax take is down because savers for one thing are paying much less or no tax as they have almost no interest now at all by and large.

DEFLATION? No sign of it in what people need every hour of every day - FOOD, GAS/ELECTRICITY, FARES, FUEL, ALMOST ALL ESSENTIALS.

The only deflation there is has been VAT-cut caused and Mortgagor Repayment-caused.

What a load of poppycock, and now some of the supermarkets are having a laugh with their prices. I spoke to half a dozen strangers this morning at random about food prices, and every single one of them seemed even angrier than I am at what they're paying now, right across the age range of what I would call typical shoppers out and about (no, not pensioners - that's a given).

No wonder Heseltine joked about the price of a kebab last night on Pester Time. Not that far from the reality.

HOLA442
Guest Daddy Bear
Take a look at the cereal aisle in a certain well-known supermarket and you'll find packets of Scottish Porridge Oats. The 500 grams are now 65p each, just a week ago they were 45p (and indeed another supermarket, Asda, had them on special offer for a while at 25p before returning to 39p).

This can only mean that Eng£1 is now worth about 40% less against Sco£1.

The wall is going back up.

This government has the gall to pretend we have deflation risks. IN WHAT? Office furniture? A laptop that people buy once every 3 years? WHAT EXACTLY???

Petrol is up again locally, Tesco now 91.9p a litre (but double Intheclub points, big deal).

We have I N F L A T I O N, whether it's rising at 4% a month or 40% a year, and what does Penfold do? He caves in to Big Mouth American 'Davidanny' and slashes interest rates - crucifying savers to save the necks of liar loaners - then moans on the tax take is down because savers for one thing are paying much less or no tax as they have almost no interest now at all by and large.

DEFLATION? No sign of it in what people need every hour of every day - FOOD, GAS/ELECTRICITY, FARES, FUEL, ALMOST ALL ESSENTIALS.

The only deflation there is has been VAT-cut caused and Mortgagor Repayment-caused.

What a load of poppycock, and now some of the supermarkets are having a laugh with their prices. I spoke to half a dozen strangers this morning at random about food prices, and every single one of them seemed even angrier than I am at what they're paying now, right across the age range of what I would call typical shoppers out and about (no, not pensioners - that's a given).

No wonder Heseltine joked about the price of a kebab last night on Pester Time. Not that far from the reality.

HOLA443
Take a look at the cereal aisle in a certain well-known supermarket and you'll find packets of Scottish Porridge Oats. The 500 grams are now 65p each, just a week ago they were 45p (and indeed another supermarket, Asda, had them on special offer for a while at 25p before returning to 39p)....

You're being ripped-off mate, if you insist on eating porridge oats I'd go take a visit to a country store somewhere and get it in 25kg sacks. Most people feed this stuff to horses.

Porridge oats - de-nuded of fibre, de-nuded of minerals and proteins. There's more food value in the packaging.

HOLA444
You're being ripped-off mate, if you insist on eating porridge oats I'd go take a visit to a country store somewhere and get it in 25kg sacks. Most people feed this stuff to horses.

Porridge oats - de-nuded of fibre, de-nuded of minerals and proteins. There's more food value in the packaging.

First I've heard that, thanks for telling me, any chance of a link to the downside of porridge oats so I can have a good look and maybe tell some friends who also swear by porridge every morning.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest sillybear2

If you want luxuries like porridge instead of standard issue gruel you should expect to pay more.

People expect too much, the cost of survival is going negative, soon it will be more expensive to be dead, what else do you want? :angry:

edit: porridge?!?! porridge, rich *******!

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA448
HOLA449
If you want luxuries like porridge instead of standard issue gruel you should expect to pay more.

People expect too much, the cost of survival is going negative, soon it will be more expensive to be dead, what else do you want? :angry:

edit: porridge?!?! porridge, rich *******!

On December 1st I got a bottle of bacardi from Sainsbury's for £11.

That same bottle after 2 months was £17.99.

At that rate a bottle will be £210.48 by christmas this year.

So using the standard HPC website method of "judging-inflation-by-statistically-insignificant-large-increases-in-individual-items" inflation is REALLY 1,913%!!!

The public should be told!!!!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
First I've heard that, thanks for telling me, any chance of a link to the downside of porridge oats so I can have a good look and maybe tell some friends who also swear by porridge every morning.

It depends on which product you buy: the processed ones e.g. ready-brek/oatso-simple have a significantly lower fibre content than old-fashioned boil in the pan varieties - though even some of the more expensive 'added-wholgrain' products aren't any better than the basics-style range.

A quick comparison on Sainsburys website lists the nutritional contents (http://www.sainsburys.com/groceries/frameset/navigation)

If I weren't being flippant I'd say the real advantage of eating porridge lies in the fact that like potatoes/pasta/rice/bread its full of complex carbohydrates and people who eat lots of these things tend not to be overweight - whereas people who count calories and avoid starchy foods are generally lard-arses.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Oats must be fairly expensive, relatively, for Asda. I've been a heavy purchaser of their own-brand Muesli (Oats, bran, nuts, sultanas, etc.) for a while. Its 58p for 1kg.

1kg of just oats on there own is more expensive. :blink:

You get a much bigger bag of course, oh the weight of those nuts and dried fruit.

HOLA4414

I was thinking the other day it can't be long now till those shops with selling loose foodstuffs in bins with scoops make a re-appearance. They seemed to be a permanent feature of the 1980's recessions.

HOLA4415
Oats must be fairly expensive, relatively, for Asda. I've been a heavy purchaser of their own-brand Muesli (Oats, bran, nuts, sultanas, etc.) for a while. Its 58p for 1kg.

1kg of just oats on there own is more expensive. :blink:

You get a much bigger bag of course, oh the weight of those nuts and dried fruit.

A couple of weeks ago a kilo of Asda's Smartprice porridge oats, exactly the same as Scott's and other fancier-packaged varieties, was around 39p. Probably still is.

Very good Bear Food indeed. I also give it to the birdies, who are very partial.

HOLA4416
1.5kg carrots 55p last week.

79p this week.

Just ordinary prices - i.e. no removal of special promo's or anything.

I make that 43.6% in a week.

Anyone like to compound that for a year?

Are you comparing like with like - e.g. were they both English or were the second lot flown in from Egypt?

HOLA4417
On December 1st I got a bottle of bacardi from Sainsbury's for £11.

That same bottle after 2 months was £17.99.

At that rate a bottle will be £210.48 by christmas this year.

So using the standard HPC website method of "judging-inflation-by-statistically-insignificant-large-increases-in-individual-items" inflation is REALLY 1,913%!!!

The public should be told!!!!

I use my own patented RPI measurement. Called weakly Tesco Online bills. For that reason my best half keeps them for the last 2 years. Results? Increase from an average £70 to £130. AND I now buy meat/fish from a local market so should have been much more. Can lookup and tell price difference on particular items in 2 years but surely you know yourself what's happening (not EDM who probably never even checks his Ocado bill so thinks it's deflating each month).

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I've read all replies, thanks for the contributions, it's really angering me to see these rises and the govt bluff about deflationary risks.

As for the porridge oats, the ones I refer to are standard no frills oats, not any branded or fancy processed.

I don't know how much they are now in Asda, but I doubt they have put them up to 65p. I will check next week.

I think the supermarket that has done so - and they know who they are because I complained direct - need to explain why they have done that, because a bag marked Scottish Porridge Oats should not be subject to euro or any other fluctuations unless something is very badly wrong with their distribution system.

It's about time British supermarkets stopped taking us all for a ride. I am buying more and more from the street markets and am not alone in that.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Dr Samuel Johnson, Dictionary of the English Language, 1755.

I'm Scottish but I still find it funny (we do have a sense of humour).

Samuel Johnson referred, disparagingly, to this in his dictionary definition for oats: "A grain, which in England is generally given to horses, but in Scotland supports the people." His biographer, James Boswell, noted that Lord Elibank was said by Sir Walter Scott to have retorted, "Yes, and where else will you see such horses and such men?"[5]

You may have a sense of humour mate - but plenty others find racisim no laughing matter.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
I've read all replies, thanks for the contributions, it's really angering me to see these rises and the govt bluff about deflationary risks.

As for the porridge oats, the ones I refer to are standard no frills oats, not any branded or fancy processed.

I don't know how much they are now in Asda, but I doubt they have put them up to 65p. I will check next week.

I think the supermarket that has done so - and they know who they are because I complained direct - need to explain why they have done that, because a bag marked Scottish Porridge Oats should not be subject to euro or any other fluctuations unless something is very badly wrong with their distribution system.

It's about time British supermarkets stopped taking us all for a ride. I am buying more and more from the street markets and am not alone in that.

mysupermarket.co.uk tells me that a 1kg bag of Asda Smartprice porriage oats costs 58p. The equivalent costs 85p in Sainsburys (for 1.5kg), 88p in Tesco and £1.58 in Waitrose.

HOLA4425

Saw a farmfoods ad today, Julliene carrots (carrots sliced into sticks) £1 / 1 KG, 2 years ago it was 39p / 1KG, then it went to 49p 69p, 89p, now £1. Been thinking about stocking up on things as an inflation hedge again, it was fairly succesful last year, prices for equivilent stuff have gone up about 50% since then and seem to be going higher.

Edited by Della