House Price Crash Forum

When Will The Dam Break?

xux42

HOLA441

Yesterday: Guy on next desk looking at Zoopla house prices. "I'm In N.E. now which is a bit of a poo. So's my Brother and 2 of my friends and my Parents are not far off".

Today: Girl on canteen checkout to mate - "No, she can't afford to go out for her Birthday so we're going round her place. Yeah, we're staying in on Valentine's too".

Also Yesterday - had to wait 15 mins for my car to go on the ramp for new tyres 'cos the garage was rammed. TGI Cheltenham was rammed on Sunday at 6pm. Big Queues at the multiplex. The China all you can eat is packed every time I go past.

It seems like for everyone who is brassic and or worried there are 2 people happy to take their place at the alter of consumerism - at least at the places offering value for money. Ok people are not buying cars but surely the benefit of that saving is undermined if they then spend on boozing, eating out, movies, sky etc.

So when will the dam break? When will there be more scared and skint people who can't or won't buy even at bargain prices?

Is it just places like Cheltenham where people are still spending freely?

Vendors will not cut their asking prices if they see evidence all around them that people have spare money. Frustrating.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Yesterday: Guy on next desk looking at Zoopla house prices. "I'm In N.E. now which is a bit of a poo. So's my Brother and 2 of my friends and my Parents are not far off".

Today: Girl on canteen checkout to mate - "No, she can't afford to go out for her Birthday so we're going round her place. Yeah, we're staying in on Valentine's too".

Also Yesterday - had to wait 15 mins for my car to go on the ramp for new tyres 'cos the garage was rammed. TGI Cheltenham was rammed on Sunday at 6pm. Big Queues at the multiplex. The China all you can eat is packed every time I go past.

It seems like for everyone who is brassic and or worried there are 2 people happy to take their place at the alter of consumerism - at least at the places offering value for money. Ok people are not buying cars but surely the benefit of that saving is undermined if they then spend on boozing, eating out, movies, sky etc.

So when will the dam break? When will there be more scared and skint people who can't or won't buy even at bargain prices?

Vendors will not cut their asking prices if they see evidence all around them that people have spare money. Frustrating.

within the next 3 months max. It will unravel at lightening speed. :ph34r:

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

People are stupid.

They'll literally have to be shitting themselves for them not to spend their last penny on a pair of shoes or a Frankie and Benny's slap up meal.

Their time is coming. It's a certainty.

Can you imagine what this Christmas is going to be like?

Just think about it for a moment.

HOLA446

But you seem to have forgotton that for many this so called "credit crunch" has had and very possibly will have no particular impact on their lives.

If you are working in an industry that is relatively secure why on earth should you not go to the pictures or have an all you can eat Chinese meal? The costs of both can be quite nominal.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Reckon there are quite a few who will not adjust their spending behaviour.....those on benefits,the retired and public sector workers.The rest of us are scared s**t of spending .

Nope, I'm off to buy a new laptop today.

HOLA4410
Can you imagine what this Christmas is going to be like?

Just think about it for a moment.

Roaring log fire, a glass of sherry for the olds and a glass of single malt for me.

The usual collection of ill-fitting and badly styled clothes as gifts.

A delicious meal of free range turkey from the local farm and vegetables from our allotment.

My home made fudge and far too much chocolate.

Same as this year I would imagine.

HOLA4411
Roaring log fire, a glass of sherry for the olds and a glass of single malt for me.

A delicious meal of free range turkey from the local farm and vegetables from our allotment.

optimist ;)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Traditional and simple things red. Doesn't cost much and it's what Christmas is about.

For lots of people it's about maxing out the credit card. Take that away and for them Christmas is a non-starter.

The high street will be a ghost town.

HOLA4414
Nope, I'm off to buy a new laptop today.

Good for you, everyone should be doing this ;) Ponzi Brown will be proud of you doing your bit.

It would be interesting to see how many of the people in these places have big mortgages.

I would guess the people still spending are those without large debts and some of these people will have traded down, instead of eating at an exclusive restaurant they are now eating with the masses in the cheap seats.

The volume of money circulating in the economy has dropped, people are spending accordingly and are finding they can still go out for less. It would be interesting to know if the exclusive restaurants are still as busy.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
But you seem to have forgotton that for many this so called "credit crunch" has had and very possibly will have no particular impact on their lives.

If you are working in an industry that is relatively secure why on earth should you not go to the pictures or have an all you can eat Chinese meal? The costs of both can be quite nominal.

So they are not aware that their pension funds are going backwards, and their houses falling daily in value? And are any jobs secure now? They may be eating out now, but not for much longer...

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
within the next 3 months max. It will unravel at lightening speed. :ph34r:

I thought that the unravelling would happen this month, at lightning speed. I was wrong. If Land Secs and Br Land are still able to find buyers for retail assets I now guess I will be wrong again if I agree with you. But I do.

HOLA4419
:lol::lol:

hello Redalert,

I remember you well, we used to talk quite a bit in the early days. :)

well, you know my stance on stuff, total system meltdown etc. :P

Yes, good to see you around. And good that all the 'old school' have been proved right about the credit/housing bubble B)

I think we differ on our breakdown of society approaches.

You are more of a sudden decline man and I am more of a slow drip, drip, drip over the next 10-20 years type.

It will be interesting, but probably not in any way pleasant, to see which of us is right!

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Since I've moved out of London into Essex I've saved a fortune. I'd got into a habit of having a coffee (starbucks etc) every time I went out. Not any more. Also no longer eat out. This month down to two "takeaways" and a MacDonalds. I think I've saved something like £300 a month.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Yes, good to see you around. And good that all the 'old school' have been proved right about the credit/housing bubble B)

I think we differ on our breakdown of society approaches.

You are more of a sudden decline man and I am more of a slow drip, drip, drip over the next 10-20 years type.

It will be interesting, but probably not in any way pleasant, to see which of us is right!

from the pov of the housing market/ credit cards / debt related stuff.

wrt the system meltdown & total collapse, that will take a few years to play out, but what I mean is that unemployment figures/retail failures/bank failures etc will happen within the next 3 months.

However I do see an icelandic situation will be upon us soon BUT because we are more controlled & dumbed down, it may not appear the same on the surface.

Just look to France for the difference I am talking about. They have much less personal debt than us, their housing bubble is not as big, yet they are rioting right now. It's about culture & awareness.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
My wishful thinking is that the spring bounce is the last hope of the cuurent and pent-up sellers.

I'm getting so bored waiting, even though things are heading in the right direction as fast as I could hope for.

VMR.

big stuff is happening in the background though. These are 3 generational changing things that Mr & Mrs Jones have no idea about because they are too busy watching reality tv, competing with the neighbours & buying into a dream that has really been a huge con.

won't be long now.........it's taking sooooooo long because this is THE BIG ONE. :ph34r:

ps - you are a good poster btw, I have a very good memory VMR. :)