House Price Crash Forum

8,000 Construction Jobs To Go In Dubai

HOLA441

I was chatting with a relative today whose sister has a daughter who works in a senior construction post out in Dubai. The sister is in a bit of shock apparently as just a few days ago she was told that she had to fire 8,000 construction workers.

Quite a shocking number if true.

That's it - move along here. Nothing more to see.

Edited by The Masked Tulip

HOLA442
What, nobody will be posting anything?

I was going to post that there was an article in the Guardian about an Indian construction worker in Dubai. The guy hasn't been given any work for a few months or so, he and his fellow workers sleep rough, and the boss holds their passports! Sounds like slavery to me.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I was going to post that there was an article in the Guardian about an Indian construction worker in Dubai. The guy hasn't been given any work for a few months or so, he and his fellow workers sleep rough, and the boss holds their passports! Sounds like slavery to me.

Actually, forgot to say that - this woman, who is some distance cousin of mine, said she was concerned about the holding of passports situation.

HOLA445
HOLA446

That sort of thing has always been the norm in the UAE. Was the same when we lived there ages ago. The Indian workers were also always screwed blind by the (Indian) agents who got them the jobs in the first place - usually in hock for at least several months' wages.

But we also knew several European expats whose (local) employers insisted on keeping their passports. In one case the boss refused to give it back even though the bloke hadn't been paid for a few months.

HOLA447
Guest sillybear2
Actually, forgot to say that - this woman, who is some distance cousin of mine, said she was concerned about the holding of passports situation.

I'm sure the workers will be able to buy them back, so something else compared to slavery.

HOLA448

What do they need their passports for ?

Most of them die on site, and the ones left are too fecked to make the journey back to the airport.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
I was chatting with a relative today whose sister has a daughter who works in a senior construction post out in Dubai. The sister is in a bit of shock apparently as just a few days ago she was told that she had to fire 8,000 construction workers.

The smelly brown stuff starts to roll down the hill.

HOLA4411
The other night I saw a new TV programe being advertised about Dubai to be presented by Piers Morgan (so I'm not expecting much) but might be worth a watch.

Saw that too. Seems to be a typical 'Wow look how amazing and wealthy this place is'. type of show.

About a year too late IMO. These shows are always a decent bellwhether. I remember the moment I really knew the bust was on it's way. Show on BBC about 2 years ago showing how much money was being made in London and how they were all like Film stars these days. Gratuitous shots of Champagne swigging Porsche driving twats were central to the show.

They also say you can spot a 'top' by when the Worlds tallest buildings are being constructed. Only at a top of a boom do people feel comfortable doing these sort of things.

The moment the BBC has a show called 'We are all totally ******ed what is the point going on, property is ******ed totally - FOREVER'

That is when I may buy a place. ;)

HOLA4412
Guest sillybear2
Saw that too. Seems to be a typical 'Wow look how amazing and wealthy this place is'. type of show.

Piers Morgan is exactly the sort of person who would like a soulless, vain, tacky and gaudy place like Dubai. Exactly why this folly is fecked.

Edited by sillybear2

HOLA4413
Guest sillybear2
About a year too late IMO. These shows are always a decent bellwhether. I remember the moment I really knew the bust was on it's way. Show on BBC about 2 years ago showing how much money was being made in London and how they were all like Film stars these days. Gratuitous shots of Champagne swigging Porsche driving twats were central to the show.

What Makes Britain Rich

Top the bubble stuff, puke fest.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I first went out there 09/05 and went back 09/08. In 05 I was looking at buying out there. I earn a good wage:- 100K+ take home and seriously considered property lots out there. Between those times I had become aware of this site and coupled with my own observations about the housing market decided to avoid the place. I nearly hocked myself up for sihtloads but luckily didn't; I've always been naturally bearish.

When I went back in 08 I was in the Mina a'salam pool and we ended up chatting to some guy with his 2.2 family saying he was finally coming out here to work permanently and how his company was paying for it all etc. now he really thought he was loaded and living it large. It was all I could do not to actually shake him and say NO!

Nice bloke, totally misled. He's probably in the depths of despair wondering how he could have been so gullible. No work there. sweet FA here.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
Piers Morgan is exactly the sort of person who would like a soulless, vain, tacky and gaudy place like Dubai. Exactly why this folly is fecked.

I've never understood the appeal of Dubai.

All the people I know that have visited and enjoyed it (ex colleagues for example) were the type of people I would pay NOT to have to spend time with on holiday.

Seems to appeal to the materialistic and shallow.

HOLA4418

I've seen the trailer for it too. It's too late to pull it but I bet Piers has been called in to do some post-editorial dubbing or voice-overs, or the programme may be a laughing stock. I was going to ignore it but it may be fun to watch now!

Edited by deflation

HOLA4419

Perhaps he can take up residence there - and stay.

I've never understood the appeal of Dubai.

All the people I know that have visited and enjoyed it (ex colleagues for example) were the type of people I would pay NOT to have to spend time with on holiday.

Seems to appeal to the materialistic and shallow.

Got it in one. A rather expensive passing fad.

HOLA4420
Got it in one. A rather expensive passing fad.

Passing fad?

According to reports, one third of world's cranes were tied up in local construction.

The slave labour force outnumbered those unfortunate Indians and Filipinos sent to Iraq.

And at the end of it, you can't even bonk or have a drink without fear of being stoned to death.

A hundred years from now, or maybe more, this place will be a tourist curio like the Pyramids.

Maybe.