House Price Crash Forum

Major Financial Institution Not Shedding 50% Of It Jobs

bobthe~

HOLA441

So I got an email from someone I worked with a while back.

This Fin Servs company outsourced all its IT department middle of last year to Tata Consultancy Services.

All contractors went a few months later.

Next month 50% of the permie staff are going to be canned in favour of workers offshore.

And Brown and Mandy wanted to give them money to keep British Jobs in LandRover/Jaguar...

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444

This Fin Servs company outsourced all its IT department middle of last year to Tata Consultancy Services.

Next month 50% of the permie staff are going to be canned in favour of workers offshore.

And Brown and Mandy wanted to give them money to keep British Jobs in LandRover/Jaguar...

Forward the email to the Daily Mail and others.

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
This has been going on for years. Especially the banks

Indian IT companies charge alot less than contractors and a bit less than permanent staff. They are normally harder working and brighter too IMO.

Really? I remember working a night shift in our NOC. One of the support teams were training a load of Inidan Intel Enginners. Anyway one of the Intel team was an alcohic and asleep next thing i knew all the Indians followed his lead.

At least he had been drinking all day.

HOLA4410
Guest tbatst2000

Pearl Group right?

HOLA4411
Thanks for the info.

I predict we'll see more of this. British workers will be competing directly with those in 3rd World countries, on 3rd World wages. :(

eh maybe gordon brown is doing the right think devaluing the pound

will China/India be more unstable than western countries when they lose 1/4 of their jobs? if china/india are unstable enough it may mean companies bringing production back closer to home as it were

no-one can predict what will happen in the next 2 years , the ball is up in the air

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Guest tbatst2000
Wrong.

Do you have info on Pearl then?

Only what's in the public domain:

http://www.pearlgrouplimited.co.uk/section...b4-6b7690ad47e3

They outsourced all their policy servicing to TCS who took over their main building at the Lynchwood Centre (sp?). Now they're sacking all the remaining Pearl staff in Peterborough after the merger with Resolution.

HOLA4414

Indian IT companies charge alot less than contractors and a bit less than permanent staff. They are normally harder working and brighter too IMO.

They are normally the first, but def not the second.

Being harder working in IT is not necessarily a good thing for your business.

HOLA4415
Only what's in the public domain:

http://www.pearlgrouplimited.co.uk/section...b4-6b7690ad47e3

They outsourced all their policy servicing to TCS who took over their main building at the Lynchwood Centre (sp?). Now they're sacking all the remaining Pearl staff in Peterborough after the merger with Resolution.

Oh ok, thanks for that.

I think the people at this other place were under no illusions what would happen, particularly since they had people perched on their shoulders doing "Knowledge Transfer".

HOLA4416

BT have been outsourcing jobs to India for several years. They have a NOC near Cambridge and they brought loads of Indian contractors over to the Martlesham labs. We found out the Indian people were getting their standard wages plus a £1000 per month bonus for living in the UK. All the vendors on the 21CN project (Fujitsu, Alcatel etc) were using UK/European engineers and part of their tasks were to train up the Indian contractors on how the 21CN equipment could be provisioned and managed. I think BT plans to have another NOC over in India to manage the network, but hopefully they won't totally rely on the Indian NOC for all their network monitoring.

The thing I noticed about the Indian guys was they picked up how to provision circuits etc, but really didn't have a clue when it came to fault-finding the network. They also always came to the vendors in packs of 2's or 3's rather than working on their own. So whilst the Indians are cheaper per head, it seems to be in their culture to sit around and discuss things to see if they could fix it. If they didn't they would just come in force and bully the vendors to faultfind and fix any network problems for them! They were okay if all procedures were written down and defined, but didn't seem to have the ability to think for themselves.

HOLA4417

Your first statement about contractor cost may be true on a superficial level. However when you look at the the output of a decent contractor vs your average Indian or any other IT worker you may find that isn't the case.

Everything else you said is certainly not my experience and I've worked in many companies around the world. If you've just been working exclusively at large banks/companies and not "proper" software companies this may be the case. As I'm speculating you may have more than your fair share of "pipe and slippers" there till they die type people.

Edited by AuroraBorealis

HOLA4418
BT have been outsourcing jobs to India for several years. They have a NOC near Cambridge and they brought loads of Indian contractors over to the Martlesham labs. We found out the Indian people were getting their standard wages plus a £1000 per month bonus for living in the UK. All the vendors on the 21CN project (Fujitsu, Alcatel etc) were using UK/European engineers and part of their tasks were to train up the Indian contractors on how the 21CN equipment could be provisioned and managed. I think BT plans to have another NOC over in India to manage the network, but hopefully they won't totally rely on the Indian NOC for all their network monitoring.

The thing I noticed about the Indian guys was they picked up how to provision circuits etc, but really didn't have a clue when it came to fault-finding the network. They also always came to the vendors in packs of 2's or 3's rather than working on their own. So whilst the Indians are cheaper per head, it seems to be in their culture to sit around and discuss things to see if they could fix it. If they didn't they would just come in force and bully the vendors to faultfind and fix any network problems for them! They were okay if all procedures were written down and defined, but didn't seem to have the ability to think for themselves.

It's the shortermism of outsourcing that really gets me. We are de-skilling our workforce as an alarming rate and sooner or later there will be no choice but to look abroad for workers.

When that day arrives and they've got us by the balls I'm sure they will not be charging such favourable rates. As British companies reduce more and more to just shells it's only a matter of time before these tenders go directly to foreign competitors as they have the real delivery capacity.

The other obvious problem as I see it is outsourcing is often throwing your own consumer base on the dole. As the myth of decoupling is exposed who will be buying broadband packages / banking services etc... when everyones on the "rock and role"? Obviously not people in India and China as we see the devastating effects there of consumer slow down in the west.

Edited by AuroraBorealis

HOLA4419
It's the shortermism of outsourcing that really gets me. We are de-skilling our workforce as an alarming rate and sooner or later there will be no choice but to look abroad for workers.

When that day arrives and they've got us by the balls I'm sure they will not be charging such favourable rates. As British companies reduce more and more to just shells it's only a matter of time before these tenders go directly to foreign competitors as they have the real delivery capacity.

The other obvious problem as I see it is outsourcing is often throwing your own consumer base on the dole. As the myth of decoupling is exposed who will be buying broadband packages / banking services etc... when everyones on the "rock and role"? Obviously not people in India and China as we see the devastating effects there of consumer slow down in the west.

I 100% agree, but it is not all doom and gloom. I work in an IT services business and still around 78% of mid size businesses and large swathes of work in the bigger companies is still in house. Therefore there is a chance to make a difference in that this market will grow, the decision is do I choose an Indian supplier? or do I choose a UK based supplier HQ'd in the UK that performs all work in the UK? We are seeing a driver towards using UK based companies for security and expertise reasons, the comment about typical diagnostic ability is true in my experience.

Sorry replied to wrong post it was spark who mentioned diagnostic ability but you get the gist

What can't cloud the issue it is the old you don't make anything argument, when all goods and services are made or delivered on shore than perhaps we can have that debate. What we can do if we are in any procurement situation is ask the question instead of hiding behind the 3 quotes and best value c***. Best value is what works for the country as well as the company.

Edited by Greg Bowman

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Your first statement about contractor cost may be true on a superficial level. However when you look at the the output of a decent contractor vs your average Indian or any other IT worker you may find that isn't the case.

Everything else you said is certainly not my experience and I've worked in many companies around the world. If you've just been working exclusively at large banks/companies and not "proper" software companies this may be the case. As I'm speculating you may have more than your fair share of "pipe and slippers" there till they die type people.

You've summed it up quite well (my previos jobs), but I can only offer my opinion based on experience. The Indian contractors I have worked with are presumably the best the outsourcing company have so to give a good impression.

BTW HBOS accelerated their IT outsourcing to India through 2008. By my calculations about 300 UK jobs lost.

Edited by sleepless

HOLA4422

Their education system seems to be designed to prevent anyone from thinking; rather, they are trained to learn a lot of rules quickly and spout them back, with no understanding of what's going on. If any of these IT graduates become useful, it's by accident rather than design. Some are good, but they end up getting paid well enough by our standards anyway.

My theory is that outsourcing to India is a cheap way to increase your share price.

HOLA4423
Their education system seems to be designed to prevent anyone from thinking; rather, they are trained to learn a lot of rules quickly and spout them back, with no understanding of what's going on. If any of these IT graduates become useful, it's by accident rather than design. Some are good, but they end up getting paid well enough by our standards anyway.

My theory is that outsourcing to India is a cheap way to increase your share price.

My theory is that in Europe people (usually males) do IT because they love it, it is their hobby ...

In India it is a good job, good money ...

In Europe if you do not know what to study you will go for media, MBA or marketing ...

In India you will go for IT ...

HOLA4424
HOLA4425
My theory is that in Europe people (usually males) do IT because they love it, it is their hobby ...

In India it is a good job, good money ...

In Europe if you do not know what to study you will go for media, MBA or marketing ...

In India you will go for IT ...

Very true; the difference between a genuinely motivated learner and one who's motivated for other reasons is enormous.

I've been interviewing for developers for years. The single best indicator of their success is how interested they are in the interview questions, not how well they answer them.