House Price Crash Forum

The Cost Of Doing Nothing Would Be Far Greater - Darling

HOLA441

no one is saying do nothing - except the Labour claiming the Conservatives would do nothing.

In reality, aside from the VAT cut, the Govt is now doing much of what the Conservatives called for, but having promised money left right and centre, but mostly left, it has less freedom to move.

I notice the bid coverage on auctions is falling, perhaps early to see this as a trend, but the bids today for £1.25bn 2027 gilts was only 1.3x covered....

Other Countries are now cutting public sector spending. Gordon, you need to shout, they aren't listening, they seem to think if you can't afford it, you should cut spending....

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
that qunt cable called for nationalisation of banks, they just dont get it. they need to let them collapse not delay the inevitable

I completly agree with you on this one! They need to let them go, because not only will it hurt the people that were reckless but the government in the long term will end up destroying the lives of the people who were sensible.

HOLA443
no one is saying do nothing - except the Labour claiming the Conservatives would do nothing.

In reality, aside from the VAT cut, the Govt is now doing much of what the Conservatives called for, but having promised money left right and centre, but mostly left, it has less freedom to move.

I notice the bid coverage on auctions is falling, perhaps early to see this as a trend, but the bids today for £1.25bn 2027 gilts was only 1.3x covered....

Other Countries are now cutting public sector spending. Gordon, you need to shout, they aren't listening, they seem to think if you can't afford it, you should cut spending....

the gov SHOULD do nothing and let the banks collapse, then we can rebuild

bailing them out won't work and will cost us a fortune and make the economy even worse

HOLA444
that qunt cable called for nationalisation of banks, they just dont get it. they need to let them collapse not delay the inevitable

I think Vince Cable has been one of the good guys in all of this. He certainly was warning about the explosion of credit a long time ago.

Letting the banks go down would finish off the pound and the Labour Party.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Exactly. I can't see any solution to this. We need to start building a new set of industries, and innovate. Sadly, there is no chance of this happening until attitudes change, and DEFINITELY NOT with NuLabour in power.

Where's the money going to come from to do that when we're going to be paying off this f***ing huge debt for generations?

HOLA447
Darling just on BBC Parliament now, repeated the line that the cost of doing nothing would be far greater.

Considering what these idiots are doing I contend that doing nothing would be a far more cost effective method of doing something.

Discuss.

I agree with your propostition, I think. But that is not the real point, imo.

The real point is that his suggestion, that the only alternative to doing what he is doing is to do nothing, is pathetic in the extreme. It suggests that he can only think of those two alternatives which is an incredible admission.

There must be, and I know that there are, other ways of dealing with this crisis other than either nothing or his present policy.

Such as nationalizing the banks properly and imposing a strict new regime of no bonuses ever again and sensible salaries for all employees from the chairman down and making them non-profit-making organizations, or using taxpayers' money to reimburse the depositors and then closing the bank(s) down or just letting them fail on their own.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
Replying to The Cost Of Doing Nothing Would Be Far Greater - Darling

THIS is going to happen if they bailout or not.

so id rather have had saved the billions thown at banks be used on sensible infrastructure like power and food production.

if stupid banks went bust trying to rip everyone off. tough tits.

if people bought mortgages they could barely afford - tough tits.

the cost of doing nothing would be that those who dealt it, smelt it.

i dont see why THEIR problem (the idiots) should be our problem (the prudent).

Edited by the-sign-jacker

HOLA4411
Darling just on BBC Parliament now, repeated the line that the cost of doing nothing would be far greater.

Considering what these idiots are doing I contend that doing nothing would be a far more cost effective method of doing something.

Discuss.

In other words we are still going to be in the SxxT but it won't be as bad :lol:

And they did not see it comming, what a laugh.

HOLA4412
I agree with your propostition, I think. But that is not the real point, imo.

The real point is that his suggestion, that the only alternative to doing what he is doing is to do nothing, is pathetic in the extreme. It suggests that he can only think of those two alternatives which is an incredible admission.

There must be, and I know that there are, other ways of dealing with this crisis other than either nothing or his present policy.

Such as nationalizing the banks properly and imposing a strict new regime of no bonuses ever again and sensible salaries for all employees from the chairman down and making them non-profit-making organizations, or using taxpayers' money to reimburse the depositors and then closing the bank(s) down or just letting them fail on their own.

Darling's best bet may be to, over time, force banks to limit lending to companies who require finance over £Xm and instead, get the banks to provide such capital through the capital markets. Let the market decide who gets finance and at what price.

See, the banks were in such a rush to win business in the last few years, that they were all tripping over one another to provide the lowest cost debt to secure relationships and future business. Let impartial investors, who are not looking to provide ancilliary banking products, decide.

Edit: clarity ...

Edited by hourkid

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
where is this "Do nothing party"... sounds freaking great .. can i be a candidate...

doing nothing would be far far far far better than what these fuknuts are doing...

A few years ago the Lib Dem/Labour alliance running Bristol City Council fell out and stopped speaking to each other. As a result the council stopped actually voting on anything and for a time effectively ceased to exist.

Nobody seemed to notice.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Do you really think they'll escape it there?

At least we can camp out without freezing our nuts off ;)

TBH it's more a quality of life thing. You can get by with very little and still have a nice life there. As long as you don't get eaten by a croc/tiapan/shark/jellyfish/spider that is.

HOLA4419
At least we can camp out without freezing our nuts off ;)

TBH it's more a quality of life thing. You can get by with very little and still have a nice life there. As long as you don't get eaten by a croc/tiapan/shark/jellyfish/spider that is.

:rolleyes: Sounds like a plan - best of luck.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Rather than "Doing Something", as Peter Schiff recently said, politicians should be forced to swear a political version of the Hipocratic Oath that doctors swear, ie to vow to 'Do No Harm'

In the current case, "doing nothing" may do less harm that running round like headless chickens, 10 policies-a-day, and "doing whatever it takes"

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
Ta muchly. 12 month from now, fingers crossed...

It's the 'On The Beach' survival strategy. You'll have a little longer than the rest of us to ponder how stupid we've all been before TEOTWAWKI overwhelms you. No sure whether those extra moments of contemplation are a good thing or a curse....

HOLA4425