House Price Crash Forum
interestrateripoff

The Cost Of Doing Nothing Would Be Far Greater - Darling

Darling just on BBC Parliament now, repeated the line that the cost of doing nothing would be far greater.

Considering what these idiots are doing I contend that doing nothing would be a far more cost effective method of doing something.

Discuss.

Well according to PatPrimer anything is better then the "Do Nothing Party"

I disagree, by doing nothing, we'd only be half in the shite!!

I hope he replies, I'm going to count how many "Do Nothing Party" mantras will be in his post.

Well according to PatPrimer anything is better then the "Do Nothing Party"

I disagree, by doing nothing, we'd only be half in the shite!!

I hope he replies, I'm going to count how many "Do Nothing Party" mantras will be in his post.

Hasa anybody seen Pat the Prat recently? It seems to have all gone a bit quiet over there.

Bale out depositors and let the rest burn. 12 months of chaos and at least we've got a chance of starting over.

We haven't even begun to see the true cost of this madness yet.

Would it even be chaos? We survived Lehman's demise. Presumably RBS and HBoS would go. I guess that Barclays and HSBC would be strengthened with increased deposits, the ability to cherry-pick the former two's assets, and less competition in the future.

Whether it would work, who knows.

Peter.

It is rubbish that this is to help banks lend again. The bailout is to stop them going bust and yes, the cost of doing nothing would be much greater.

Darling just on BBC Parliament now, repeated the line that the cost of doing nothing would be far greater.

Considering what these idiots are doing I contend that doing nothing would be a far more cost effective method of doing something.

Discuss.

I think he's referring to the cost to the Labour party (and their bosses - the banks) rather than their hard working subjects.

Guest Steve Cook

Discuss.

The cost of doing nothing will indeed be far greater in the short term

In the long term, the consequences of Darling's current actions are the destruction of our economy for generations to come

Edited by Steve Cook

It is rubbish that this is to help banks lend again. The bailout is to stop them going bust and yes, the cost of doing nothing would be much greater.

I think the idea is less about providing more credit to companies and more about 1) allowing companies to refinance current debts that are coming up for renewal and 2) to provide nearterm cash to pay bills/suppliers.

As it is, the machine has ground to a halt and without some measures, it will stay this way which is good for no-one.

Guest Steve Cook
I think the idea is less about providing more credit to companies and more about 1) allowing companies to refinance current debts that are coming up for renewal and 2) to provide nearterm cash to pay bills/suppliers.

As it is, the machine has ground to a halt and without some measures, it will stay this way which is good for no-one.

We shouldn't be keeping the machine going

It's already dead

We need to leave it to collapse completely, live with the consequences and rebuild from the ashes

The cost of doing nothing will indeed be far greater in the short term

In the long term, the consequences of Darling's current actions are the destruction of our economy for generations to come

Well unless they find some way to cancel/inflate the debt away, all this borrowing will suppress the UK's economy for decades. Very few tax payers will be able to afford the increases, unless we have some large wage increases and a slowing in the increase in the cost of living.

I can't see either happening myself. :angry:

What will happen if the banks aren't in the way is that people will do something else, and the banking system will become irrelevent.

Market says NO.

It's being saying NO for generations. Time is up for the ponzi scheme.

I think you may be right.

That is certainly how I have read the mortgage side of things.

Personally, I think Brown is spinning this as even bigger than it is, because he has misjudged the mood of the country and thinks the people want to see action with lots of big sums. Maybe I'm wrong, and they do, but few of those who can be bothered commenting do. (and I don't just mean here).

Well unless they find some way to cancel/inflate the debt away, all this borrowing will suppress the UK's economy for decades. Very few tax payers will be able to afford the increases, unless we have some large wage increases and a slowing in the increase in the cost of living.

I can't see either happening myself. :angry:

Where's the money going to come from for wage increases? I mean the actual, physical cash. It'll have to be borrowed into existence from somewhere and what are the chances of that happening?

We shouldn't be keeping the machine going

It's already dead

We need to leave it to collapse completely, live with the consequences and rebuild from the ashes

The machine comprises of the wider economy: transport of our food, provision of services and the like. To keep these going, an orderly collapse is in order. That orderly collapse will occur through re-allocation of capital over time.

I think you may be right.

That is certainly how I have read the mortgage side of things.

Personally, I think Brown is spinning this as even bigger than it is, because he has misjudged the mood of the country and thinks the people want to see action with lots of big sums. Maybe I'm wrong, and they do, but few of those who can be bothered commenting do. (and I don't just mean here).

Quite.

These are politicians. They have TO BE SEEN to be doing something. Anything. They have no idea what will happen.

Here goes ...

Darlings answer to too much unsustainable borrowing is more unsustainable borrowing? Eh?

So the answer to too much debt is more debt.

And the answer to not saving enough is to spend money that we don't have.

I'm clearly missing the point here. Could somebody please explain??

Here goes ...

Darlings answer to too much unsustainable borrowing is more unsustainable borrowing? Eh?

By transferring the debt to the state they have more power to extract it, making it "safer."

Of course this means regulating everything into oblivion, inflating the currency into worthlessness and taxing us all until we riot but they'll have thought of that, don't you worry.

Cable and Osbourne have torn Darling's statement to shreds. Wonder if this will make it to the BBC main news.

that qunt cable called for nationalisation of banks, they just dont get it. they need to let them collapse not delay the inevitable

Here goes ...

The political message is: "We are doing something to help everyone." So everyone feels they will be saved by being able to refinance (morgages/corporate debt).

In reality, they know that if you are not credit worthy, you are going down but they cannot say this. There are only so many spaces on the life raft and it's the leanest on first.

By transferring the debt to the state they have more power to extract it, making it "safer."

Of course this means regulating everything into oblivion, inflating the currency into worthlessness and taxing us all until we riot but they'll have thought of that, don't you worry.

Injin, you're making sense to me!

The banks have no power to make you pay for their ******ups. But the state does, oh, yes...... :(

Pinch me someone ;)

What is worse? Doing nothing or doing something however bad it is, that can even make things worse just so you can say" oh at least we are doing something..............."

Edited by Tinman

Where's the money going to come from for wage increases? I mean the actual, physical cash. It'll have to be borrowed into existence from somewhere and what are the chances of that happening?

Exactly. I can't see any solution to this. We need to start building a new set of industries, and innovate. Sadly, there is no chance of this happening until attitudes change, and DEFINITELY NOT with NuLabour in power.