#1 pl1

pl1

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,188 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...canada-11172054

A month ago, six African-American teenagers drowned in a single incident in Louisiana, prompting soul-searching about why so many young black Americans can't swim.

When 15-year-old DeKendrix Warner accidentally stepped into deeper water while wading in the Red River in Shreveport, he panicked.

JaTavious Warner, 17, Takeitha Warner, 13, JaMarcus Warner, 14, Litrelle Stewart, 18, Latevin Stewart, 15, and LaDarius Stewart, 17, rushed to help him and each other.

None of them could swim. All six drowned. DeKendrix was rescued by a passer-by.

I really don't get this story, is it that difficult to swim. I always thought swimming was like whistling insofar as you put your lips together and blow i.e. just push your arms forward and kick your legs. Clearly not, swimming really is something you need to be taught?

#2 Bossybabe

Bossybabe

HPC Senior Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,877 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:14 PM

Bone density too great?
QUOTES:

• "This is going to hurt you much more than it will hurt me." - Bossybabe
  • "I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." - Albert Einstein.
  • "This fellow is wise enough to play the fool, and to do that well craves a kind of wit. He must observe their mood on whom he jests, The quality of persons, and the time" VIOLA, Twelfth Night, William Shakespeare
  • "Oh, when she's angry, she is keen and shrewd! She was a vixen when she went to school. And though she be but little, she is fierce." - HELENA, A Midsummer Night's Dream, William Shakespeare

#3 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,759 posts
  • About Me:Fount of wisdom, and pinnacle of taste!

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

Yes, you would think Americans would learn to swim, given that they all have heated swimming pools in the garden of their mansions! :blink:
Ignorance can be cured! Stupidity cannot!

#4 Redcellar

Redcellar

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:56 PM

It's all in the genes apparently http://www.prospectm...k-men-can-swim/

If you wore these, you wouldn't be able to swim either.

Posted Image
Allegedly.

#5 chronyx

chronyx

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

rushed to help him and each other.

Sorry but the 'old lady who swallowed a fly' aspect is hilarious.

#6 Redcellar

Redcellar

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:11 PM

Sorry but the 'old lady who swallowed a fly' aspect is hilarious.

It's really sad. People go to help each other all the time and end up drowning. Yet the number of times the original victim is later rescued is incredible. Happened in this story too. Happens with dogs all the time, particularly when they fall through ice. The moral dilemma must be horrendous.
Allegedly.

#7 cica

cica

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

swimming really is something you need to be taught?

Absolutely 100%. Well at least learn, as you can teach yourself like I did. Took a few hours.

#8 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

I'm pretty sure the parents or grandparents of these people would have been denied entry to a "Whites Only" public swimming pool at some time! Parts of the USA were like that! :o

#9 Bob Loblaw

Bob Loblaw

HPC Veteran

• New Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,192 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:28 PM

What a terrible tragedy
"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act" George Orwell

#10 The Masked Tulip

The Masked Tulip

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,340 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

Yes, a terrible tragedy.

Lots of people in Africa, Asia, South America do not learn to swim because the places where they can learn to swim are full of things that like to eat people - so they never learn.

I think you are asking the wider question about why people of African-American heritage do not swim?

I have several African American friends, and also Brits of African/Caribbean heritage, and all want to run a mile when I mention going swimming or, worse, going for a surf or bodyboard.

I recall a BBC documentary in the 1980s which actualyl put forward the agument that slight differents in the lower back, and ensuing different in muscles, made it difficult for people of African American heritage to compete as swimmers. However, what stopped them being fantastic swimmers made them superb runners, especially sprinters. Likewise, in reverse, what made caucasians great swimmers made us not so great at sprinting.

How or why this stops ordinary African Americans in the US from being able to actually be able to swim enough to stay alive is a big leap though.

Perhaps it is just poor poverty - a lack of free places to learn to swim? If you come from 2 or 3 generations of people who have never swimmed then you will probably have never been taught.
The success or failure of your deeds does not add up to the sum of your life. Your spirit cannot be weighed. Judge yourself by the intention of your actions and by the strength you faced the challenges that have stood in your way.

The people closest to you have been trying to tell you that you have made a difference. That you did change things for the better. The Universe is vast and we are so small. There is really only one thing that we can ever truly control - whether we are good or evil.

The political triumph of the American Right has been to advance relentlessly the economic interests of the country's richest people, while emphasising a swath of moral, social and foreign policy issues that motivate and certainly distract middle-class and poor voters.

#11 MrPin

MrPin

Mild Irritant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,759 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

What a terrible tragedy

It is a tragedy! And an accident! They do happen!! :o

Not sure how fast the water was going, or how cold it might be! maybe the ability to swim might not have been enough! :(

#12 Russe11

Russe11

HPC Regular

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

how many coloured/black (never sure what term to use so delete which ever least offends you) swimmers do you get compeating at the olympics?

#13 Redcellar

Redcellar

HPC Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

Yes, a terrible tragedy.

Lots of people in Africa, Asia, South America do not learn to swim because the places where they can learn to swim are full of things that like to eat people - so they never learn.

I think you are asking the wider question about why people of African-American heritage do not swim?

I have several African American friends, and also Brits of African/Caribbean heritage, and all want to run a mile when I mention going swimming or, worse, going for a surf or bodyboard.

I recall a BBC documentary in the 1980s which actualyl put forward the agument that slight differents in the lower back, and ensuing different in muscles, made it difficult for people of African American heritage to compete as swimmers. However, what stopped them being fantastic swimmers made them superb runners, especially sprinters. Likewise, in reverse, what made caucasians great swimmers made us not so great at sprinting.

How or why this stops ordinary African Americans in the US from being able to actually be able to swim enough to stay alive is a big leap though.

Perhaps it is just poor poverty - a lack of free places to learn to swim? If you come from 2 or 3 generations of people who have never swimmed then you will probably have never been taught.

The link I posted explains its not because of build or anything like that. Black people CAN swim. Apparently they were excellent swimmers before the slave trade. Then because of fear of escape the kids were banned from learning. After that I guess it's lack of interest and focus. Things like Basket Ball in the USA earn money. Swimming doesn't. Unless you are the worlds no1.

For example "African-American world and Olympic champion and 100m freestyle record-holder - Cullen Jones."

Genetics and bone density / build are just urban myths.
Allegedly.

#14 Executive Sadman

Executive Sadman

I live on HPC!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,416 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 06:07 PM

Diane Abbott mode ON/

Water is racist. White people to blame.

/Diane Abbott mode OFF.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted Image

#15 interestrateripoff

interestrateripoff

Carry on banking.....

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 44,367 posts

Posted 07 April 2012 - 07:13 PM

how many coloured/black (never sure what term to use so delete which ever least offends you) swimmers do you get compeating at the olympics?

Not sure if it's still the case but they did change the rules to get rid of the qualifying times so black swimmers could enter.

http://en.wikipedia....ric_Moussambani

Eric Moussambani Malonga (born May 31, 1978) is a swimmer from Equatorial Guinea. Nicknamed "Eric the Eel" by the media after the name first appeared in an article by Craig Lord in The Times newspaper in London, Moussambani won brief international fame at the 2000 Summer Olympics when he swam his heat of the 100 m freestyle in 1:52.72.[1] His time was more than twice that of his faster competitors, and outside even the 200 m world record. However, he set a new personal best and Equatoguinean national record.

However the Olympics do appear to have a bias. Eddie the Eagle Edwards wasn't very good so they changed the rules to ensure he no longer qualified.

http://en.wikipedia...._Eagle"_Edwards

The widespread attention that Edwards received in Calgary turned into a large embarrassment for the ski jumping establishment. Many athletes and officials felt that he was "making a mockery" of the sport[citation needed]. Shortly after the Olympics finished, the entry requirements were greatly toughened, making it next to impossible for anyone to follow his example[citation needed].

At the closing ceremony, the president of the Organizing Committee, Frank King, seemed to single out Edwards for his contribution: "At this Games, some competitors have won gold, some have broken records, and some of you have even soared like an eagle." [9]

The Eddie "The Eagle" Rule

In response to the Edwards phenomenon, in 1990, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) instituted what became known as the Eddie the Eagle Rule, which requires Olympic hopefuls to compete in international events and place in the top 30 percent or the top 50 competitors, whichever is fewer.

Edwards consequently failed to qualify for the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France and the 1994 Games in Lillehammer, Norway. He managed to get a 5-year sponsorship from Eagle Airlines, a small British charter company, to fund his attempt to reach the 1998 Games in Nagano, Japan but failed to qualify for those as well.[7]

It seems the Olympics suffer from a dose of double standards.

Although I'm sure black swimmers would easily be able to make the grade if given the opportunity.

How many swimming pools exist in Africa for swimmers to train in?

Edited by interestrateripoff, 07 April 2012 - 07:14 PM.

Proof that Brown had repeated IMF / OECD / BIS warnings over house prices and did nothing!!!
Looting: The Economic Underworld Of Bankruptcy For Profit
The exponential growth of debt and the unsustainability of debt
The logic of HPI @ 10% YoY means your 100k house would be worth 1.38bn in 100 years
Paying down my mortgage with money found on the street

It's time to sue the Bank of England / Federal Reserve for GROSS NEGLIGENCE
If DEBT is the problem REPAYMENT is the solution or you default

"Northern unemployment is an acceptable price to pay for curbing southern inflation" Eddie George former Governor of the Bank of England

New digest on the credit crisis and economy Part2 Part 3

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users