House Price Crash Forum

Spoonerisms e.g. "Lie to Bet"

hp72

HOLA441

Was playing with my kids and doing word play with spoonerisms, e.g. "smart fellas" becomes "fart smellers" which makes them laugh. My middle kid, 6, now does it automatically and gets them instantly. All good when intentional, but not when I said I was a "bit shattered".. Anyway, went onto HPC and, as I was in the brain gear, picked up on the rather apt " buy to let" becoming "lie to bet".

Any other favorites? 

Note to mods: not sure if the rude ones breach decency laws on the site. E.g. Friar Tuck? 

HOLA442

Lie to bet is a good one!  

I still like the old ones from the original Spooner of New College, Oxford, though all the sources I've seen say they are probably apocryphal.  

'A well boiled icicle,' and,

'You have hissed all my mystery lessons and tasted a whole worm.'  

HOLA443
HOLA444
8 hours ago, Mrs Bear said:

Lie to bet is a good one!  

I still like the old ones from the original Spooner of New College, Oxford, though all the sources I've seen say they are probably apocryphal.  

'A well boiled icicle,' and,

'You have hissed all my mystery lessons and tasted a whole worm.'  

I bumped into someone today from that college who related to them. Was his birthday so he was a little intoxicated. X 

HOLA445
11 hours ago, blobloblob said:

I used to know someone with a pet moggy called Cooking Fat.

I swear I've seen a birthday card ages ago using that one!  Probably bought it for my brother - SiL is a cat lover and often has a few aged  foster-cats as well as her own. 

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
On ‎17‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 6:58 PM, Lord D'arcy Pew said:

In dye gone bays getting a whole flock of bats was easy, just tell a lack of pies. But I was greedy with the mad bunny and my bones went lad. I lost my nosey little cook, who now will tease my ears?

That's a blushing crow to the lie to betters. It just goes to show that the Lord is a shoving leopard. I have in my heart a half-warmed fish that such Bulgarians will be vanished.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
2 hours ago, Kosmin said:

That's a blushing crow to the lie to betters. It just goes to show that the Lord is a shoving leopard. I have in my heart a half-warmed fish that such Bulgarians will be vanished.

I'm living on not poodles, what a mucking fuddle.  "Pawed L'arcy Dew"

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
7 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Now I know why I was never an intellect, my dad never played the spoonerisms game with me. Absolutely not a wordsmith, so I cheated..........

Hiss and lear, you're one of the wiser posters on here, so that sounds like a lack of pies.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Archived