House Price Crash Forum

The Financial Crisis

Arbitrage

HOLA441

The documentary "97% Owned" is well worth a watch in my opinion -

Also the documentaries "Plunder - The Crime Of Our Time" and "In Debt We Trust" by Danny Schechter are worth digging out.

As for making this thread a sticky I agree with previous posters it should replace the gold thread sticky IMO.

Edited by Setantii

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA449
  • 2 months later...
HOLA4410

The Four Horsemen

http://youtu.be/jmWGQCOprPk

The modern day Four Horsemen continue to ride roughshod over the people who can least afford it. Crises are converging when governments, religion and mainstream economists have stalled. 23 international thinkers come together and break their silence about how the world really works and why there is still hope in re-establishing a moral and just society. Four Horsemen is free from mainstream media propaganda, doesn't bash bankers, criticize politicians or get involved in conspiracy theories. The film ignites the debate about how we usher a new economic paradigm into the world which, globally, would dramatically improve the quality of life for billions.

• 5 months later...
HOLA4411

This thread is too good to be relegated to page 2. It should be pinned, in my opinion.

There are some feature films and dramas also of interest to HPCers, I would think. Like 'Glengarry Glen Ross', 'The Money Pit', and there was a TV drama aired about six months ago about the problems of a security guard who was duped by his estate agent/mortgage broker 'friend' into taking out a mortgage he couldn't afford which all goes pear-shaped. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name of it but it was good.

Freefall:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freefall_(BBC_TV)

Watch here: it's not bad:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 1 month later...
HOLA4414

Bumping this thread for those that missed it before. I'm working my way through the videos slowly. Good stuff - but I would also welcome a few counterpoint videos if any exist? Ones that take the view the current approach is working and all will work out well?

HOLA4415
  • 2 weeks later...
HOLA4416

Here is an interesting video about money and its role in modern society.

He makes some very interesting point I hadn't heard of. Studies have shown that coins are larger for poor children than for rich children for example.

It has been claimed that economics is just a branch of psychology. Certainly movements on the stock market reflect human greed and fears. The desire to acquire wealth is a major driving force in human behaviour and our relationship with money says much about who we are. If money doesn't necessarily make us happy it does powerfully affect our emotions and is a factor in many psychological disorders ranging from anxiety and depression to hoarding and kleptomania.
Edited by 98% Chimp