House Price Crash Forum

Job Losses In East Anglia

redwing

HOLA441

I'll kick off with some examples from the last month in my neck of the woods. All these links are to stories in the Cambridge News.

Ridgeons Builders Merchants make 95 redundant - 26//11/08

Bidwells - 46 jobs 25/11/08

Cement works closes - 87 jobs 07/11/08

National Express - 300+ rail jobs 18/11/08

Huntingdon Bed Firm - 93 jobs 01/11/08

CUP 130 jobs facing axe 30/10/08

Over 700 job cuts announced round here in the last month.

I haven't found the stories for the odd shops here and there that have shut already. We haven't got a Woolies in Cambridge but our MFI is closing. And there must be as many businesses that have hiring freezes at the moment.

What's happening round your way?

HOLA442

In Norfolk, it doesn't seem too bad at the moment...

150 Managers from Norwich Union lost their jobs a month or two ago. The Woolies and MFI will close shortly. One of the toy manufacturers based in Wymondham supplies Woolies may have to cut jobs shortly. Quite a few Estate Agents have steamlined their operations so that they operate from one or two locations.

• 4 weeks later...
HOLA443

Drove into Mundesley this morning to look around North Norfolk's property offerings - things still over-priced up here although a few repos coming on now, including cutesy cottages.

I looked in the window of Priors Estate Agents and read a notice thanking customers for 4 years of trading and announcing the firm's closure effective 31st december. Their website makes no mention of the closure of their 2 office firm, they probably cannot afford to pay the web-developer to add a note to the website:

http://www.priorsestateagents.com/

Bleak.

HOLA444

NU are still dropping staff, they just dont even bother announcing them anymore. They also just decided to outsource all (bar desktops for some wierd reason) IT provision to EDS. This will finalise in summer 09. EDS are likely to sack everyone off, replace with school leavers from Guatemala, screw up the contract and go to court rather than do the job properly.

IT Jobs wasteland coming to a provincial town near you soon.

HOLA445
NU are still dropping staff, they just dont even bother announcing them anymore. They also just decided to outsource all (bar desktops for some wierd reason) IT provision to EDS. This will finalise in summer 09. EDS are likely to sack everyone off, replace with school leavers from Guatemala, screw up the contract and go to court rather than do the job properly.

IT Jobs wasteland coming to a provincial town near you soon.

Domino Printing (a manufacturer) at Bar Hill shed 10% of its workforce in December.

HOLA446

My job went, but that was in the City. (Luckily I got a new one, so there are more deserving candidates for condolences).

Heavily anecdotal, but I've been looking for shopfronts in Ipswich and Woodbridge. Ipswich has always had quite a few shopfronts free due to the massive out of town developments, although the number of shop fronts is expanding. However Woodbridge, which always seemed to be full has sudden;y been sprouting To Let signs. Not many, but they are far more common than they used to be.

Also a lot of people being laid off in the rush to build new flats, which is not a surprise.

HOLA447

Citizens' Advice Bureaux News

Why thousands are desperate for help

IT'S always nice to start the year with some good news.

Unfortunately, David Harker, chief executive of the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB), is the bearer of some unwelcome reminders of the troubles facing families in 2009.

Workers in the east have been hit hard by the economic downturn and his advisers have been flooded with inquiries about upcoming redundancies, how to claim benefit, and how to manage debt...

..."Our figures show that since April, Citizens Advice Bureaux in the eastern region - which includes the counties of Cambridgeshire, Bedfordshire, Essex, Hertfordshire, Norfolk and Suffolk - have seen daily inquiries relating to redundancy increase by 124 per cent, which on average is 425 inquiries per day.

"Rarely a day goes by without reports of yet another company announcing job cuts. In this current climate it's imperative to know your rights and be able to access free advice if you have been made redundant or fear you may be."

Source.

• 2 months later...
HOLA448

March 2009 update

Worry as figures for jobless jump by 88%

UNEMPLOYMENT in Cambridgeshire has soared, with nearly 15,000 people now out of work.

Figures released by the Office of National Statistics showed 14,390 people claimed job seeker's allowance in Cambridgeshire in February, including 3,370 people in Cambridge, 2,380 in Huntingdon and 1,035 in Ely.

That compares to 7,645 in the county in February last year - signifying an 88 per cent increase in the past 12 months.

It follows a spate of job cuts in the second half of 2008, with house builders Bovis and Twigden and property firm Bidwells announcing redundancies at their Cambridgeshire operations in response to the housing crash.

The figures, which saw 2,500 people lose their jobs in the county since November, were announced as unemployment in Britain passed two million for the first time since 1997.

Unemployment increased by 93 per cent in South Cambridgeshire.

Mass redundancies across the region also hit the Royston area, which saw unemployment double in the space of a year.

Oliver Heald, the town's MP, said: "These figures look bad, but the overall picture shows Hertfordshire has not even been hit as hard as some others, such as Swindon, where unemployment has actually quadrupled."

So, not much unemployment in Cambs - but still nearly twice as much as a year ago.

HOLA449

I work for an international org and we have shed few jobs. However, anecdotally it seems that it is the handfuls of jobs going from small emplyers that is having the impact. On Look East there was an article about a Suffolk Village which has seen the largest rise in umemployment in the region. Many jobs that don't make the headlines but which add up.

• 2 months later...
HOLA4410

Not quite job losses but the Associated British Ports complex of Harwich, Ipswich and Felixstowe are moving to short time working and wage cuts. A lot of those not directly employed by ABP are being laid off.

Starting to hear some really hard luck stories as well in the Ipswich from people laid off 6 months ago who are now finding it very hard to get by. Almost all of these are people who have never been out of work for more than a couple of months, even during the 80s and 90s. The only thing that is keeping them in their houses is lender patience.

HOLA4411

I heard that the company that supplies bra's to Marks and Spencers has gone bust.

Customers are complaining that M&S arent giving them any support.

And Stylo, the footwear company, went bankrupt just after taking an advance £2million payment for an order to supply shoes to a major police force. Anxious council tax payers are now wondering who is going to foot the bill.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I went to Ridgeons in Saffron Walden today to collect some Ecotherm insulation for the conservatory. It was a special order item, so I needed to speak to the guy who had ordered it for me. He was in a meeting and the other guys behind the counter said they also had a meeting. They said it was to inform them of some impending redundancies within the company...

Apparently Saffron Walden Ridgeons is fairly busy (not much local competition), but the one nearer Cambridge is supposed to like a ghost town.

HOLA4415
I went to Ridgeons in Saffron Walden today to collect some Ecotherm insulation for the conservatory. It was a special order item, so I needed to speak to the guy who had ordered it for me. He was in a meeting and the other guys behind the counter said they also had a meeting. They said it was to inform them of some impending redundancies within the company...

Apparently Saffron Walden Ridgeons is fairly busy (not much local competition), but the one nearer Cambridge is supposed to like a ghost town.

I knew someone at Ridgeons and I thought they'd already laid a load of people of some months back!

HOLA4416

Ridgeons are indeed laying off more people

Cambridge News Link

Snippet:

Ridgeons axes another 35 jobs as slump bites

A MAJOR regional timber and builders' merchant has announced 35 redundancies, the News can reveal.

This is the latest blow for Ridgeons, which has its Cambridge-based headquarters in Nuffield Road, after it cut 78 jobs at the end of last year, 38 of which were voluntary redundancies.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4417
  • 7 months later...
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Thanks Terminatrix - much appreciated. It's also really nice to see you on the forum again. It seems such a long time ago that we had the Cambridge pub meets. Drop me a PM and let me know how things are going.