House Price Crash Forum

Duncan Bannatyne

neilrich

HOLA441
Strangely, he's quite on the money in some respects. In that he correctly identifies mewing as a problem, and rising prices leading to even higher rises and people buying more property because they think it's going to keep going up. And then he goes on to say that the bubble could of burst here first instead of america.

I wonder if he thinks we're all doomed but won't say it on the radio. With his fingers crossed that the government manages to pull a rabbit out of a hat.

he`s there in many respects, for one he has got off his **** and done something to get himself in the way of the money, but the problem is that in a recession 'coin collectors' like hotels and health clubs don`t collect coins, they go bust, hence the reason you will see the "Dragons" on TV trying to talk us OUT of a recession. It will be to no avail, and hopefully they should have enough in the bank to survive while they are looking for the next thing that puts them in moneys way. You could say the "Dragons" were in the right business for the boom times, but some of them have been slow to adapt to the new reality? (probably not half as slow as the sheeple though?)

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
If I was to find myself on Dragons Den, he is the one dragon that I would not accept an investment from on the basis that he is a nob. They do all suffer the same mental block though which makes them think that their success automatically equals talent rather than good luck, which is a common mistake mande by many successful people.

Saw Deborah Meaden on the TV last night, banging on about how she 'always knew she would be successful'. Talk about subjective validation.

Good old Deborah Meaden.. 'built her empire from scratch'. Well, scratch and her parents' established holiday camp business that she was brought in on having managed a bingo hall.

HOLA443
Yeah I saw this too. Basically, she financed a bank loan to buy the place and give her folks a whole load of the bank's money, before selling it on again to some other mug.

Borderline fraud, shurely?

EDIT: to explain before I have to ring Ian Hislop's lawyers :lol:

The completely unfounded and uneducated impression I got was that she financed a buyout at a much bigger price than her parents paid, before selling again for about twice as much two years later.

I am sure she added lots of "value" in the meantime. Your honour.

I think a lack of humility is a useful personality trait for some of these entrepreneur/tycoon types.

You never hear Michael Schumacher et al saying ' I always knew I would be world champion' etc.

But I'm sure in a dog eat dog do-or-die business environment, that confidence in one's own destiny to be top of the pile manifests itself as 'gift of the gab' and has some effect of being a self fulfilling prophecy.

HOLA444
Yeah I saw this too. Basically, she financed a bank loan to buy the place and give her folks a whole load of the bank's money, before selling it on again to some other mug.

Borderline fraud, shurely?

EDIT: to explain before I have to ring Ian Hislop's lawyers :lol:

The completely unfounded and uneducated impression I got was that she financed a buyout at a much bigger price than her parents paid, before selling again for about twice as much two years later.

I am sure she added lots of "value" in the meantime. Your honour.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/latest/2008...15875-20720830/

:lol::lol:

HOLA445
Guest skullingtonjoe
I think a lack of humility is a useful personality trait for some of these entrepreneur/tycoon types.

But I'm sure in a dog eat dog do-or-die business environment, that confidence in one's own destiny to be top of the pile manifests itself as 'gift of the gab' and has some effect of being a self fulfilling prophecy.

Indeed, the ability to `talk a good job` or indeed develop some kind of `cult of personality` are ways to get ahead (more so than ever in these spin-obsessed days). Never take responsibility for anything that goes wrong, while hoovering up every last crumb of credit you can find. It`s a funny old world! :(

HOLA446
HOLA447

Just to be clear:

I'm not saying for a moment that any of the people discussed here are not very talented, clever business people. I just believe that for every Duncan Bannatyne or Deborah Meaden etc., there are probably a hundred other entrepreneurs who are just as (or more) clever and talented but didn't make it because they were just unlucky or didn't get that crucial break or were not in the right place at the right time.

HOLA448

Was reading through this thread when I switch the TV on, and what do I find - ex-Dragons Den 'star' Rachel Elnaugh appearing on the Eggheads! :lol:

She was only referred to as Rachel, and her having once been a 'dragon' was not bought up, only that she was an author.........

her book is called 'Business Nightmares'.

And she should know all about those..............

Here is her website -

http://www.rachelelnaugh.com/

HOLA449

I'm sorry, but all the dragons are utterly ridiculous. They are all this anachronism of the pin-striped, shoulder padded [meaden] 'tycoons' who are supposed to be

scary business people who like to crack the whip.....

So you see pheo turning up at one of his stationary outlets, and the poor sales staff have to pretend to look interested as he explains the importance of presentation.

I've worked in retail, and theo is just an atypical area manager, going around sticking in his nose in, not realising the absurdity of giving people earning just above minimum wage a hard time because the pens aren't perfectly inline.

And meaden is the one dragon who likes to give the old, 'so your trying to tell me how to run a business.....do you know how successful i am' routine on the den. both are utterly tedious and predicatable.....and bannatyne is probably the worst of the lot, as he appears to be the most self-absorbed. Maybe i'm confusing that with disinterest....but you'd defintely think twice about going into business with him.

They all have a lot to thank gordon for, and now that they are minor tv celebs they probably get invited onto all sorts of advisorial roles in political circles, so they probably have a VI in talking up broon.....bannatyne and co. are useful rent-a-gob material for the bbc's dumming down of economic news. But beyond that they offer no insight, bannatyne being all clever in hindsight about mewing and the value of property just proves how ecomomically illiterate we are.... that if a so-called astute millionaires like himself ignore the history of economic cycles then what hope for the sheeple who bought into the no more boom and bust line.

The dragons are the perfect nulabour entreprenuers.....everythings great in uk plc, don't talk us into a recession blah blah, isn't it funny how when the credit is flowing freely and it's cheap as chips, these multimillionaires who rely on the flow of cheap credit for their business empires do not warn of the consequences of lax lending, and increased indebtness. Just as they are not in the business of talking us into a recession, then they are also not in the business of using their influence with the public to talk economic sense.

Because scaring the sheeple and making them think before they fork out for a weekend at a bannatyne health farm is not good for business.

HOLA4410
Was reading through this thread when I switch the TV on, and what do I find - ex-Dragons Den 'star' Rachel Elnaugh appearing on the Eggheads! :lol:

She was only referred to as Rachel, and her having once been a 'dragon' was not bought up, only that she was an author.........

Yep, I saw that too!

The woman on the other end of the panel - "I'm an entrepreneur and wealth creator"

Yeah, uh-huh, wealth creator.... What's that then, I've heard the term 'wealth creation' before somewhere...

HOLA4411
Guest skullingtonjoe
Wow :lol:

Personally don't see the difference between this lot and Jordan/Katona.

All nobodies who got rich by leveraging their assets...

LOL - check out the `uber-entreprenuer` Branson`s very dodgy past (Dodgy Branson)

I always thought he was a bit `too good` to be true! :lol:

HOLA4412