House Price Crash Forum

How Much Money Is Hpc Saving You?

Yonmon

HOLA441

I reckon based on the house I'm renting, then taking the fall in house prices (i.e. capital loss avoided) and the amount by which my rent is below the typical monthly interest on a mortgage at current market price then the HPC is worth about £4k per month to me.

Perhaps this could be the new dinner party topic of conversation, to offset all those years of bulls going on about how much they'd made on paper each month...

HOLA442

I thought of putting this in a smart-arsed sig!

The house I would want to buy has fallen by £10,000 in the last year, and I've saved up £9,000 in that time.

Total saved by not buying a house: £19,000 + interest.

Now, where's that "smug" smiley? :D

I still live with parents, BTW.

HOLA443

Tricky really

my house has 'lost' £50,000 since last year. Although it has 'made' £250,000 since I bought it. I have wanted to trade up for around 3 years, but the step up was too large. So if the gap ever reduces enough I am 'saving' around £60,000 I reckon. Or maybe I will just stay put.

My spreadbet is finishing this september and is around £963 in profit

HOLA444
HOLA445

Sold in November last year, banking £200k. Interest on that pays my rent. So standing still in terms of wealth but the kind of house we want to buy has dropped by around £50k so far so like the OP the crash is worth about £4k per month to me at the moment. Bonus!

HOLA446
I reckon based on the house I'm renting, then taking the fall in house prices (i.e. capital loss avoided) and the amount by which my rent is below the typical monthly interest on a mortgage at current market price then the HPC is worth about £4k per month to me.

Perhaps this could be the new dinner party topic of conversation, to offset all those years of bulls going on about how much they'd made on paper each month...

At the peak the kind of house I would like to have bought would have been around 350-400k. Given a 20% drop this year that is about 80k off or £219 a day. I also hold mostly US$ and every time the pound drops a cent I make considerably more than the amount I am making on not buying that 400k house yet.

In the words of the great fat man: How Sweet it is!

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Me too for a smug smiley :rolleyes:

No mortgage so...STR August 07 (Peak).... With Interest per month and the current rate of decline in my target area, and deducting rent. We are effectively better off by 8-10k per month.

I can not touch my STR fund money or interest and the rest is made up from what is happening monthly to the market.

Still in the middle of this game of chess though. Patience is the key now. No knee jerk moves, keep focussed and when the time is right move in for the kill.

I was very fortunate because my decision to sell was based on the fact they we were going to move in about 18+ months anyway and we did not want to get stuck in an area we wanted to leave. This was never about money for us but location but with what has happened so far I feel so very very lucky.

Bosh

HOLA4410

Based on the highly unscientific measure of...

Comparing the recorded price drops of the sort of property which, according to others, we could "afford" and probably "should" have bought, I've saved (in the sense that I haven't lost) more money than I've personally paid in rent during my entire life to date, and that's discounting the £1k pcm difference between the rent and the mortgage on such a place.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I was careful not to treat house ownership as making money when my house was rocketing in value in the last fifteen years, so I'm not going to start treating renting as making money. Its still 250k to buy a small family home round here, so I'm hardly quids in - even if prices fall by another 10%. Easy come and easy go.

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Personally if we had bought in 2004 when we had the chance we would still be quids in!

I can't see us being any better off in the end buying at 20-30% down now than we would have been if we had stayed in the market from 2004 on.

So those of us who STR'ed too early will be even stevens maybe but not rich!

HOLA4415

Hard to say.

What I do know is this - due to my own instincts, along with the information on this forum, I didn`t get involved in BTL or taking on a bigger mortgage. In fact, while I was being encouraged to "join in the fun", I kept my head down, and did something very stupid, I overpaid my mortgage and also saved a bit of money. I thought that was the best idea.

I thought right.

HOLA4416

its not costing me yet ;p I have approx 50k buffer between my price and my neighbour who bought a month after me, and a bit more of a buffer if you look at the peak 04 price...

I still wonder if I should have gone for the 10 year fix instead of the 5 year fix... I have 3 and a bit years left until mine resets...

Edited by moosetea

HOLA4417
What I do know is this - due to my own instincts, along with the information on this forum, I didn`t get involved in BTL or taking on a bigger mortgage. In fact, while I was being encouraged to "join in the fun", I kept my head down, and did something very stupid, I overpaid my mortgage and also saved a bit of money. I thought that was the best idea.

I thought right.

Well put. Much the same here.

HOLA4418

It would be vulgar to detail actual figures but the last year has seen me save an amount that would take me about 5 years to earn ( after deductions) ( I am including the interest earnt from my STR fund ). However, I STRd in 2004 so I have a little way to go before it fully pays off - should be by this Christams by my reckoning.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Rent is about the same as my mortgage.

I reckon by selling when I did I am £75k better off in terms of depreciation avoided.

In terms of what I will eventually buy, I reckon that has dropped by £130k.

HOLA4422

Shhhhhhh....... Or Gordon will make non home ownership a taxable benefit ;)

HOLA4423
Rent is about the same as my mortgage.

I reckon by selling when I did I am £75k better off in terms of depreciation avoided.

In terms of what I will eventually buy, I reckon that has dropped by £130k.

£205,000 to the positive. :o

Go Mikey, Go Mikey, Go Mikey..

Good stuff, I enjoy your informative and well researched posts as we share common interest in target areas. maybe not price bracket but area info and price movement is priceless.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

If the Mrs and i had bought at peak, our deposit wouldn't have made 1.2k.

The house we'd be buying 'should' have dropped ~25K.

We are saving 2K per month.

On those savings the interest is about £600

So about 51k so far and thats not taking mortgage interest into account.

And the best bit, its getting more and more every month :D

Its enough to make us not want to leave the country now!