House Price Crash Forum

Centrica Boss Says Wear Two Jumpers

HOLA441

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/230...inter'.html

Well it was news today:

The managing director of an energy company has advised customers who struggle to pay their fuel bills to wear "two jumpers instead of one" this winter.

Jake Ulrich of Centrica Energy, parent company of British Gas, admitted that price increases were likely to lead to a "potentially significant" rise in the number of people in fuel poverty.

He also predicted that families would have to change their habits to deal with higher prices, echoing a 1977 speech given by President Jimmy Carter to the American public during the oil crisis.

I think that we should all wear 2 jumpers and give up central heating this winter. We lived without it for 2 million years but for the last 10 years it seems we have adapted as a species so radically that our survival is down to gas pipes.

I know he's an arrogant tosser with a million pounds a year to self indulge, and he probably doesn't give a toss about the environment, but if we all wore 2 jumpers (like when we were kids) his salary would probably go down buy 1/2 as the performance bonuses dropped out, there by serving some poetic justice.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
I'd be able to get by like that easily enough living in the South, but i'm not so sure about those living up north.

OK. Wear 2 jumpers and put the central heating on 17 degrees rather than 18 degrees. Whatever. So long as you join the protest in one form or another.

HOLA444
HOLA445
What happened to log fires? I think they banned them in London, but here in the real world theyre still allowable. Maybe start building houses with proper chimneys again? The Romans managed it.

Totally agree. Also get yourself some low energy lightbulbs. Most electricity is generated off gas generators. Join the campaign to put Centrica out of business.

HOLA446
OK. Wear 2 jumpers and put the central heating on 17 degrees rather than 18 degrees. Whatever. So long as you join the protest in one form or another.

Whenever I visit friends with low wages who complain about a lack of money they always have the heating set to 21-22 degrees. I think he has a point.

HOLA447
Whenever I visit friends with low wages who complain about a lack of money they always have the heating set to 21-22 degrees. I think he has a point.

Make them jog around the block - that will get their ciruclation going, probably increase their IQ by 5 points as the blood rushes to their heads and before you know it, they will be working for centrica

HOLA448
HOLA449

A lot of people seem to think that they have the God-given right to flounce around the house in t-shirts in mid-winter. I knew a girl who always set the thermostat to 25C all year round. Even a few years ago the gas bill must have been astronomical.

HOLA4410

The people are cold and hungry my LORD, they have no bread. Well tell them to wear two jumpers and let them eat cake!. :lol:

I like that; I do. :lol:

Edited by Decom

HOLA4411
What happened to log fires? I think they banned them in London, but here in the real world theyre still allowable. Maybe start building houses with proper chimneys again? The Romans managed it.

I wonder how long it will be before the remaining woodland has all been burnt.

HOLA4412
But we should be grateful for all this expert advice at the mo - throw away less food, wear 2 jumpers. The people in charge are too bright for their own good!

Two jumpers are all very well, but your hands will still be cold. Invest in fingerless mitt manufacturers now.

HOLA4413
A lot of people seem to think that they have the God-given right to flounce around the house in t-shirts in mid-winter. I knew a girl who always set the thermostat to 25C all year round. Even a few years ago the gas bill must have been astronomical.

Was she hot?

(Of course she was)

HOLA4414

Because we recycled so much paper and cardboard, demand for UK wood has dropped through the floor - there's plenty of semi-derelict 'farmed' woodland out there...

Hence the encouragement of wood chip boilers, etc.

Wales is soon to build one of the largest wood-chip power stations in the world, in Port Talbot. Unfortunately, they're importing their wood chip from N America. But that's the Welsh Assembly's sustainability wing for you...

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4415
Because we recycled so much paper and cardboard, demand for UK wood has dropped through the floor - there's plenty of semi-derelict 'farmed' woodland out there...

Hence the encouragement of wood chip boilers, etc.

Wales is soon to open one of the largest wood-chip power stations in the world. Unfortunately, they're importing their wood chip from N America. But that's the Welsh Assembly's sustainability wing for you...

The question is, how far will the wood resources go if significant numbers try to switch from gas to wood?

Not far, I fear. I've read that around 7 acres of well-managed coppice provides enough fuel for one household. As usual, it comes back to too many people in too little space.

HOLA4416

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/newsrele.nsf/We...02574200037E7F6

"People in Britain have been using products made from coppiced wood for thousands of years. However, despite their impressive quality, these products have been largely displaced by alternatives, like imported bamboo beanpoles. As a result, the amount of managed coppiced woodland in Britain has fallen by around 90% during the 20th century, from around 230,000 hectares in 1905 to an estimated 23,000 hectares in 1997."

Much of the 207,000ha that's been lost is lying derelict (it's not managed) - reducing biodiversity.

Edited by gruffydd

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
The question is, how far will the wood resources go if significant numbers try to switch from gas to wood?

Not far, I fear. I've read that around 7 acres of well-managed coppice provides enough fuel for one household. As usual, it comes back to too many people in too little space.

I agree - even if you turned the whole of the UK into coppice you would be lucky to get one third of the Uk's energy requirements.

All 24 million hectares might produce 300 million tonnes of coppice wood per annum.

HOLA4419
Two jumpers is a bad idea.

Thermal vests (long sleeved), shirts and a jumper is a much better idea. Thin layers.

All we could all go round to his house and stay warm there.

It will be cheaper for old people to go to Spain for the winter.

We could probably all fit in his house. It would probably be cheaper for all the old folks to go to his house than spain, although I have to say with the costs of trains v the cost of planes, maybe not!

HOLA4420
Totally agree. Also get yourself some low energy lightbulbs. Most electricity is generated off gas generators. Join the campaign to put Centrica out of business.

Southern Electric sent me 2 low energy lightbulbs this week for no apparent reason. Guess they must be earning enough not to worry about the loss of the income on a few watts?

HOLA4421
Southern Electric sent me 2 low energy lightbulbs this week for no apparent reason. Guess they must be earning enough not to worry about the loss of the income on a few watts?

Their licence requires them to spend X amount of profits on energy efficiency so the 2 free lightbulbs is part of that requirement.

I got my cavity wall / loft insulated under a similar scheme.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Another clever wheeze from British Gas - as part of their very commendable commitment to the environment, they are going to send everyone(?) some nice new energy saving light bulbs, for free, and will encouraging us to install them rather than just going for that instant warm glow you get from recycling them the same day they drop through the letter box.

So why is this? Well, your typical incandescent bulb emits only around (let’s say) 3% of the input energy as visible light, the other 97% is mostly infra red radiation and goes to heat your house and, helpfully, removes the need for that second or third jumper.

So what happens if you replace those elegant 150W clear GE globes with a few ghoulishly green monochromatic sources … that’s right, by the magic of thermostatic control the house heating bit is transferred straight over to your [gas] central heating bill… :)

HOLA4424

I got those too. I think they are celebrating taking over atlantic gas and electric. Just as I had moved to a cheaper supplier as well.

HOLA4425
Another clever wheeze from British Gas - as part of their very commendable commitment to the environment, they are going to send everyone(?) some nice new energy saving light bulbs, for free, and will encouraging us to install them rather than just going for that instant warm glow you get from recycling them the same day they drop through the letter box.

So why is this? Well, your typical incandescent bulb emits only around (let’s say) 3% of the input energy as visible light, the other 97% is mostly infra red radiation and goes to heat your house and, helpfully, removes the need for that second or third jumper.

So what happens if you replace those elegant 150W clear GE globes with a few ghoulishly green monochromatic sources … that’s right, by the magic of thermostatic control the house heating bit is transferred straight over to your [gas] central heating bill… :)

A number of flaws in this theory

Electricity is approx 4 times the price of gas per kwh - even with an old boiler heating with electric would be expensive.

The lights are not in the best position to heat being near the ceiling

For 5-6 months most houses dont have the heating on - so any heat is completely wasted