Edinburgh Facts And Figures

geed

HOLA441
  • Replies 621
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
The door is gently closing now. I have learnt a lot from this forum. Amazing things. Clever people have pointed out the cyclical nature of the property market (wow, a revelation). They have pointed out that 3 months figues do not make a trend (wow again). I have learnt too that people want reasonably priced housing and like a bargian (amazing). And that they are incensed at the values realised in the market. Most of all I have leant how chippy people are.

Byeee.....I will be back in a few months to gloat when we have some real numbers to go on. or then again, maybe not.

:lol::lol::lol: Bye Hamish, don`t come back now......................the only way your house is going to increase in value is if P.P flies over one night and takes a magic tinkle on your roof.....a more likely scenario is that Godzilla is going to take his yearly shite down your chimney! :o:lol::P:(

Edited by dances with sheeple

HOLA443
HOLA444
Byeee.....I will be back in a few months to gloat when we have some real numbers to go on. or then again, maybe not.

Well.... I'll take my chances on being tagged as 'chippy' (whatever that means), but .... hasn't the last year or so given you some real numbers to go on ???

HOLA445
:lol::lol::lol: Bye Hamish, don`t come back now......................the only way your house is going to increase in value is if P.P flies over one night and takes a magic tinkle on your roof.....a more likely scenario is that Godzilla is going to take his yearly shite down your chimney! :o:lol::P:(

Interesting. There is evidence that viewsonic and crutchie are one and the same. Is Hamish cruchster also?

HOLA446
Interesting. There is evidence that viewsonic and crutchie are one and the same. Is Hamish cruchster also?

Yes that looks like proof to me-they are the same person.

Clearly one is accidentally replying to posts when logged in as the other ID.

Bus.Ted.

If these boards were properly moderated we wouldnt have to suffer this tedious, childish nonsense

HOLA447
Yes that looks like proof to me-they are the same person.

Clearly one is accidentally replying to posts when logged in as the other ID.

Bus.Ted.

If these boards were properly moderated we wouldnt have to suffer this tedious, childish nonsense

Nice work. I do wonder what the motivation of trolls is ? If it is just to wind people up and have a laugh - I can understand it. Must be bored but I can see the amusement to be gained. I would be bored pretty quick myself though. The other option is these people actually believe what they type.

Now that is rather frightening....for them :lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449
Continued rise in Edinburgh unemployment. Claimant count now over 10000 for the first time since the early 1990's.

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/StatBase/Product.asp?vlnk=15084

Now up 75% YoY and 97% from Dec '07 low.

Picture_2.png

Excellent, in my capacity as an expert on property prices in Edinburgh I can confirm that this can only serve to bolster confidence in the current flagging highly robust and immune to falls property market here.

Such excellent news will allow me to make up a new theory about how this deomostrates the resiliance of Edinburgh to the global recession, after all there are far more unemployed people in London isnt there - this means that Edinburgh is special so dont miss the change to buy, whilst you still can.

HOLA4410
What happened when the mods made a team decision to troll the last lot. Screams of unfairness- denying people freedom of speech - bleeding hearts all over the place. Then what happens -- they sign back on with a new ISP and a new identity and we are back to the start again. We don't troll posters unless we have discussed it in depth for some time to try and avoid the aggro.

If you know who the trolls are then put them on ignore - and actually do not rise to their bait. If you all did that they would soon bore themselves to death.

I am not one to usually stick up for mods on forums - I usually think they are cocks... ;)

However you lot on HPC are pretty sound. I see where you are coming from. You banned some clearly obvious trolls -and all you got was people asking why you banned the other side. Pile of pish. The other side, with decent chat, is what most of us want.

I can't think of one bull on this site who gives decent chat.

Anyway - good work. I will just continue to chat to the local bulls/trolls in as honest a style as I can manage.

HOLA4411
What happened when the mods made a team decision to troll the last lot. Screams of unfairness- denying people freedom of speech - bleeding hearts all over the place. Then what happens -- they sign back on with a new ISP and a new identity and we are back to the start again. We don't troll posters unless we have discussed it in depth for some time to try and avoid the aggro.

If you know who the trolls are then put them on ignore - and actually do not rise to their bait. If you all did that they would soon bore themselves to death.

Ignoring is all very well, but as I'm sure you know a lot of posters are not aware of who the trolls are and so respond to posts and the thread gets taken over. Signing back on with a new ISP is not trivial and the more times they are trolled there will be an attrition rate and some do not come back.

Each BB has its own mod policy, but Motley Fool is far more strict than here. I wouldn't worry too much about bleeding hearts etc-they can always go elsewhere. Given the intellectual capacity of some trolls on this forum they might find that posting comments/starting arguments under youtube clips is more their level.

cheers for the good work.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Have any other Edinburgh watchers noticed a pronounced increase in supply on EPSC in the last couple of weeks?

The number of properties returned by my regular search had fallen to a low of 87, and hovered around or below 90 for quite a while during the summer, but is now back up to 102, an increase of 17%. I don’t want to make any early assumptions about whether the market has turned, but it does appear to me that properties have stopped selling, and that finally some more decent properties are coming onto the market. Asking prices are all over the place, though.

This is in Bruntsfield, Marchmont, Merchiston and Morningside, by the way.

HOLA4414

Gorgie has certainly had a few more appearing. I imagine it is all those who think this is all over now due to the media nonsense. Pent up supply.

Got down to about 30 and now back up to mid forties.

As for prices. Yes there are the odd stupid priced places around. However the majority seem to have fallen in similar amounts. 90-105k seems to be the amount if they want a chance of selling. There are over 20 at these prices.

Does make me wonder - why are there still ones sitting there are 125k ?! I know people have the old 'But my place is worth more' mentality.

However reality must bite eventually. No ?

Example:

100k Gorgie

125k Gorgie

Anyone work out the 25 difference ? This person's EA really should tell them where to go. Waste of time.

HOLA4415
Have any other Edinburgh watchers noticed a pronounced increase in supply on EPSC in the last couple of weeks?

I scrape the ESPC front page occasionally and it doesn't seem to have changed much overall:

Thu Jun 4 00:21:14 BST 2009

We currently have 8,378 properties for sale or to let, including 4,473 across the ESPC area.

Mon Jun 8 20:02:45 BST 2009

We currently have 8,398 properties for sale or to let, including 4,702 across the ESPC area.

Thu Jun 11 19:40:45 BST 2009

We currently have 8,406 properties for sale or to let, including 4,705 across the ESPC area.

Thu Jun 25 10:07:31 BST 2009

We currently have 8,307 properties for sale or to let, including 3,687 across the ESPC area.

Wed Jul 1 22:04:40 BST 2009

We currently have 8,157 properties for sale or to let, including 4,574 across the ESPC area.

Tue Jul 7 22:37:36 BST 2009

We currently have 8,143 properties for sale or to let, including 4,553 across the ESPC area.

Fri Jul 24 11:06:40 BST 2009

We currently have 8,129 properties for sale or to let, including 4,464 across the ESPC area.

Fri Aug 14 11:30:47 BST 2009

We currently have 8,020 properties for sale or to let, including 4,321 across the ESPC area.

Mon Aug 17 21:33:28 BST 2009

We currently have 6,274 properties for sale or to let, including 4,269 across the ESPC area.

(The 6274 figure in the last entry's probably wrong - it looks as if they update their database on a Monday and sometimes data from outside Edinburgh's late; similarly for the blip on 25th June).

Edited by Scunnered

HOLA4416
I scrape the ESPC front page occasionally and it doesn't seem to have changed much overall:

Fri Jul 24 11:06:40 BST 2009

We currently have 8,129 properties for sale or to let, including 4,464 across the ESPC area.

Fri Aug 14 11:30:47 BST 2009

We currently have 8,020 properties for sale or to let, including 4,321 across the ESPC area.

Mon Aug 17 21:33:28 BST 2009

We currently have 6,274 properties for sale or to let, including 4,269 across the ESPC area.

Interesting – thanks for those figures. So the overall figure across the ESPC area hasn’t increased, yet one or two of us are noticing increases in our local areas. Maybe the supply in some areas is still going down! Obviously I’ll keep an eye on mine, and I’ll report back if it gets back to the 120 level that it was several months ago. Usually quite a lot of flats come to the market in September, but it does seem to have happened slightly earlier this year round my way.

HOLA4417

The number of properties returned by my regular search had fallen to a low of 87, and hovered around or below 90 for quite a while during the summer, but is now back up to 102, an increase of 17%. I don’t want to make any early assumptions about whether the market has turned, but it does appear to me that properties have stopped selling, and that finally some more decent properties are coming onto the market. Asking prices are all over the place, though.

This is in Bruntsfield, Marchmont, Merchiston and Morningside, by the way.

Hi MH,

My search is in this exact area-plus newington, braids,greenbank and a couple of others. Prices over £300k.

The numbers of properties for sale is completely static-as low as it's ever been. Very little turnover as well. Virtually none.

Maybe we are looking at different price ranges?

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Hi MH,

My search is in this exact area-plus newington, braids,greenbank and a couple of others. Prices over £300k.

The numbers of properties for sale is completely static-as low as it's ever been. Very little turnover as well. Virtually none.

Maybe we are looking at different price ranges?

My search has a lower price point of 150K, and minimum of two bedrooms, but no upper price limit. I don’t think my increase in volume is at the very high end, though, as a few tenement flats with asking prices around 240–300K have come up for sale lately. Your search, of course, would not be picking these up. Turnover does seem to have stopped, but supply, in my search, has definitely been increasing.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
My search has a lower price point of 150K, and minimum of two bedrooms, but no upper price limit. I don’t think my increase in volume is at the very high end, though, as a few tenement flats with asking prices around 240–300K have come up for sale lately. Your search, of course, would not be picking these up. Turnover does seem to have stopped, but supply, in my search, has definitely been increasing.

I have a fairly particular search out (2 beds, ground/maindoor, central areas) and there's no obvious change. Oddest thing was two weeks ago when 7 of my 40-odd saved properties suddenly sold. The most I had ever seen sold in a week before was 5. Not much happened since then. There do seem to be some slightly more interesting properties but nothing below 250k.

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4423

Latest Rental stats below. Definite reduction in supply. Not quite sure where these are going, usual festival lets will take up some. However the rest ? Sales have picked up a little but not by much. Still rows and rows of for let signs everywhere I look. Will be interesting to see where this heads towards winter.

2_Bedders_split_to_Aug_09.jpg

2_bedders_total_to_Aug_09.jpg

post-9648-1251533716_thumb.jpg

post-9648-1251533728_thumb.jpg

HOLA4424
HOLA4425