House Price Crash Forum

Ot: Getting Married, Need Advice

thermo

HOLA441

No, not on a prenuptial agreement ;)

A job abroad means that for my gf to come and live with me, would mean that I need to get married.

Wedding ring:

-What makes a ring a "wedding ring"?

-My sis was telling me that I should spend around a month's salary on a wedding ring. Seems a bit OTT spending ~£2K on a ring?

-Where can I find 'competitively' priced rings. Anything related to marriage usually means a big mark up (no I don't have an STR fund)

-I personally love the look of emeralds, but some of my research suggests that they make poor wedding rings as they are brittle. Any truth in this?

Anyone else been through this who can advise?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
No, not on a prenuptial agreement ;)

A job abroad means that for my gf to come and live with me, would mean that I need to get married.

Wedding ring:

-What makes a ring a "wedding ring"?

-My sis was telling me that I should spend around a month's salary on a wedding ring. Seems a bit OTT spending ~£2K on a ring?

-Where can I find 'competitively' priced rings. Anything related to marriage usually means a big mark up (no I don't have an STR fund)

-I personally love the look of emeralds, but some of my research suggests that they make poor wedding rings as they are brittle. Any truth in this?

Anyone else been through this who can advise?

Go abroad to buy the ring. I got mine in E. Europe, hand made and to our design.

I was frankly embarrassed about how little it cost.

HOLA443

wedding rign wise,

it aldepends on how "traditional" your views are? tradition says that you should spend 1 months salery on the rign, and it should be of certian design etc, (lots of stuff in the interwebnet about it)

thats all i can offer

what type of wedding are you going for?

Registry office? Church etc

HOLA444
HOLA445

twatmangle: Unfortunately I don't have the time/opportunity to go abroad.

Monkey: Thanks, seems I will have to do a little more research. I have no idea on the 'type' of wedding, but I suppose since all I need is a piece of paper saying she is married to me, then the 'registry office' type wedding will have to do. Though my mum who is out of the country atm, and who I haven't spoken to yet, might veto that.

Speak&Spell: I likely will have to be out of the country by Sept. 08, the primary objective really is to get that piece of paper. (Yeah I know it sounds insensitive), so getting married ASAP is best option.

HOLA446
Guest Skint Academic

Personally I'd go shopping for a ring with her. She has to wear it and the right ring will jump out at her. She may not even know herself what she wants until she tries it on. It's a lot of money so spend it wisely. My fiance bought me an engagement ring. I thought I wanted something really traditional but when I saw what traditional rings looked like I realised that they would constantly snag on things and cause a lot of hassle. Shopping for a ring will be a fun experience for her and she'll enjoy looking at lots of adverts, websites and magazines to get ideas.

Don't worry about proposing without a ring in hand. My fiance proposed whilst presenting to me a brand new compost bin.

I can't remember the name of the brand, but you can buy diamonds now that have been cut to be even more sparkly than traditional diamonds. They used computer modeling to achieve this. The diamonds can also be traced back to the mines they came from so there is no issue of ethics.

HOLA447
Personally I'd go shopping for a ring with her. She has to wear it and the right ring will jump out at her. She may not even know herself what she wants until she tries it on. It's a lot of money so spend it wisely. My fiance bought me an engagement ring. I thought I wanted something really traditional but when I saw what traditional rings looked like I realised that they would constantly snag on things and cause a lot of hassle. Shopping for a ring will be a fun experience for her and she'll enjoy looking at lots of adverts, websites and magazines to get ideas.

Don't worry about proposing without a ring in hand. My fiance proposed whilst presenting to me a brand new compost bin.

I can't remember the name of the brand, but you can buy diamonds now that have been cut to be even more sparkly than traditional diamonds. They used computer modeling to achieve this. The diamonds can also be traced back to the mines they came from so there is no issue of ethics.

At least it was a new one.

Romantic buggers

:lol:

HOLA448
HOLA449

Tradition is to spend a months salary on an engagement ring. Don't spend more than you can afford though, there's no point getting each other in debt on day one.

I'm looking around myself - I say looking, I haven't figured out where to go yet!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I spent about £80 in 1999 on a wedding ring :lol: ( White Gold )... She picked it and loves it... Promised her that when we recovered from the cost of the wedding I would buy her something considerably more expensive.

I am a man of my word...

I bought her some new tits :lol: (Joking)

Seriously though, I am not sure about you people but I can not tell the difference between £100 and £1000 rings and if your bride to be is sensible, she will recognise that in todays climate your money could be put to better use.

How cheap am I?

Bosh

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
The answer to that question lies in your wife's chest ;) Only you know the answer ... :)

:lol: Ok, Ok, I did not invest in the chest. each to there own though ;)

Like me, she would rather the money went towards a house in the next 2-3 years

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Average is 2 months salary if the man can afford it. If I decide to get married I'd like a nice ring. It's the one piece of important jewelry you wear all the time.

WHAT!?!? I have never heard 2 months salary before ... that's inflation for you ;)

HOLA4417

Thanks for the hints, especially Skint Academic.

There is no way I am going to spend 2 months salary on a wedding ring! I am even thinking 1 month may be a lot.

As for an engagement ring, there isn't any custom/tradition that you have to get an engagement ring before you get an wedding ring???

HOLA4418
Thanks for the hints, especially Skint Academic.

There is no way I am going to spend 2 months salary on a wedding ring! I am even thinking 1 month may be a lot.

As for an engagement ring, there isn't any custom/tradition that you have to get an engagement ring before you get an wedding ring???

Hmm, traditions vary in different countries. Where are you? Where are you from?

In the UK the tradition is that and engagement ring is bought first and should cost 1 months salary. This is the diamond jobby

The wedding ring is normally a plain band and should cost considerably less than the engagement ring. Maybe a few hundred quid. Anything more than that for plain gold and you are getting ripped off.

HOLA4419
Hmm, traditions vary in different countries. Where are you? Where are you from?

In the UK the tradition is that and engagement ring is bought first and should cost 1 months salary. This is the diamond jobby

The wedding ring is normally a plain band and should cost considerably less than the engagement ring. Maybe a few hundred quid. Anything more than that for plain gold and you are getting ripped off.

Am in UK, British but born abroad.

Oh, that makes it a bit clearer, and clarifies what people were asking above.

I just thought I could get away with 1 ring (being the wedding ring) and that would have been the diamond jobby.

Sorry for sounding thick, as you can tell, I know nothing about these arrangements.

HOLA4420
Am in UK, British but born abroad.

Oh, that makes it a bit clearer, and clarifies what people were asking above.

I just thought I could get away with 1 ring (being the wedding ring) and that would have been the diamond jobby.

Sorry for sounding thick, as you can tell, I know nothing about these arrangements.

You can buy as many or as few rings as you want, no requirement to have one.

Personally I'd spend the money on just a wedding ring, just a gold band so should be no more than £100-200 at most.

Really depends on your wife to be, what does she want/think. To save on cost which isn't very romantic (then again neither is marrying somebody so you can get them in to another country) I suggest getting a custom made wedding ring, more expensive than your bog standard wedding ring but way cheaper than an engagement ring but very personal.

Unfortunately my wife wanted the full set so has a platinum engagement ring (more than 2 x salary at the time), a custom platinum wedding ring and a platinum eternity ring. However I only paid for the engagement ring, I told her if she wanted the rest I she would have to pay for them :lol:

HOLA4421
You can buy as many or as few rings as you want, no requirement to have one.

Personally I'd spend the money on just a wedding ring, just a gold band so should be no more than £100-200 at most.

Really depends on your wife to be, what does she want/think. To save on cost which isn't very romantic (then again neither is marrying somebody so you can get them in to another country) I suggest getting a custom made wedding ring, more expensive than your bog standard wedding ring but way cheaper than an engagement ring but very personal.

Unfortunately my wife wanted the full set so has a platinum engagement ring (more than 2 x salary at the time), a custom platinum wedding ring and a platinum eternity ring. However I only paid for the engagement ring, I told her if she wanted the rest I she would have to pay for them :lol:

Ok, so the next step seems to be to speak to her about it.

Regarding the 'romance' about her coming abroad with me, it's either that or she stays in a flatshare living like a student (in London) or goes back to Germany and seeing me every now and again. Now that would not be romance!

And thanks for the suggestion on the custom made ring.

HOLA4422

My thoughts:

1. Don't get married.

2. Don't get married.

3, 4, 5 to 999,000 are basically the same as 1 and 2.

If you insist on getting married:

1. Engagement ring - pointless, waste of money, living in the Victorian era are you? If your other half insists on one then I would have alarm bells ringing.

2. If your other half expects a fortune to be spent on a wedding ring then... alarm bells again.

Rings are merely for girlies to show off to other girlies and establish themselves in the pecking order. It is also a way in which a girlie shows her girlie friends that she has your balls in her purse - the bigger and more expensive the ring the less chance of you ever getting your balls back, and her girlie friends will know this, until the divorce. At which point they will be old and shrivelled up - your balls that is!

If you have a good, sensible woman then she will not want any of this nonsense and will be happy with a simple gold band that screams 'love' and not 'expense'.

Out of interest, how old are you? Do you have many male friends in their late 30s to early 50s? Have you ever had a serious talk with them about women? Sorry, that makes me sound like a cynic but, boy, be careful...

I hope you have a long, happy and healthy marriage... sucker! :P:lol::P

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
1. Don't get married.

2. Don't get married.

3, 4, 5 to 999,000 are basically the same as 1 and 2.

If you insist on getting married:

1. Engagement ring - pointless, waste of money, living in the Victorian era are you? If your other half insists on one then I would have alarm bells ringing.

2. If your other half expects a fortune to be spent on a wedding ring then... alarm bells again.

Rings are merely for girlies to show off to other girlies and establish themselves in the pecking order. It is also a way in which a girlie shows her girlie friends that she has your balls in her purse - the bigger and more expensive the ring the less chance of you ever getting your balls back, and her girlie friends will know this, until the divorce. At which point they will be old and shrivelled up - your balls that is!

If you have a good, sensible woman then she will not want any of this nonsense and will be happy with a simple gold band that screams 'love' and not 'expense'.

Out of interest, how old are you? Do you have many male friends in their late 30s to early 50s? Have you ever had a serious talk with them about women? Sorry, that makes me sound like a cynic but, boy, be careful...

I hope you have a long, happy and healthy marriage... sucker! :P:lol::P

Haha, that made me laugh, and prompted me to ask the gf over msn whether she wanted an engagement ring, you, and I, will be delighted to know that she does not want an engagement ring, and said a wedding ring would suffice. Thankfully no girlie factor there and my balls will be ripe, juicy & productive in my pants for years to cum.

I am 32 & Know very few (good friends) who are married, so don't have anyone who would give me candid views on the matter. I personally don't think life would change dramatically after the marriage....but who knows.

HOLA4425
And thanks for the suggestion on the custom made ring.

I would agree with many of the posters in that , if there is to be any romance to the marriage process, you should have, shortly thereafter intend to have, an engagement ring. Traditionally this is the expensive one with a diamond and or other precious stones. The wedding ring or "band" is usually just a band of gold, but might be woven from the 3 types of gold (white, yellow & red). I would agree with other posters that your lady chose her own rings.

My suggestion, if you can get to London, would be to go to Hatton Garden and find a qualified Jeweller who will make custom rings. The band will not be expensive and the engagement ring could save you hundreds compared to the typical High Street shops (who often have a 400% mark up). A custom made ring will usually be made from materials bought by the Jeweller following your deposit (rather than being existing inventory).

My example, bought faux (fake/cheap) ring for proposal night (cost a tenner and after several glasses of wine I'm sure it didn't look that bad to my darling anyway :P ). I said this tat would be replaced with a decent ring to fiancee's design. Found a small craftsman in HGarden. Asked him to make an expensive looking ring, but with the quality of stones we could afford (went for "brilliant cut" mounted in white gold setting, as it can be set in any other colour gold if you want the maximum sparkle [setting stone directly in yellow gold give less 'white' sparkle', equally directly into red/copper gold gives reddish flashes]) Result = happy lady with unique ring and happy me with big savings v High Street prices.

If you can't make it to London, then just hunt around in your local area for a proper craftsman.

By the way you can reduce costs further if you supply your own gold (got any gold coins ?)

EDIT: just seen post that you g/f has told you she doesn't need an engagement ring...yeah right, she might SAY that to you, but I would be surprised if she wouldn't be over the moon if you did get one. Sigh, where is the romance amongst you youngsters these days?. If romantic notions mean nothing, then remember from a purely financial point of view gold and precious stones are a good long term investment ;)

Archived