House Price Crash Forum

The Media Start To Report The Slide Of Gbp

HOLA441

I noticed how over the last couple of days the media started to report the fall of GBP against the Euro. Faisal Islam made a decent report of it in yesterday's C4 news, also explaining how this is NOT necessarily good news for manufacturing, as commodity and raw material prices get more expensive with the pound depreciation.

I have the feeling that HPC has become a huge source of info for the journos. Can't blame them really, we've been right all along.

HOLA442
I noticed how over the last couple of days the media started to report the fall of GBP against the Euro. Faisal Islam made a decent report of it in yesterday's C4 news, also explaining how this is NOT necessarily good news for manufacturing, as commodity and raw material prices get more expensive with the pound depreciation.

I have the feeling that HPC has become a huge source of info for the journos. Can't blame them really, we've been right all along.

And yet pretty much none of them have yet made the link to interest rates - you still et them all going on, unreservedly, about how interest rate cuts= good, without balancing their reports with the downside (savers screwed, [solvent] industry screwed, inflation screwed, currency screwed....)

HOLA443
HOLA444

yes. absolutely. The picture he portraited was rather grim:

-No more cheap holidays

-Rate cuts NOT passed to borrowers

-no real advantage for manufacturers.

I think that in the media people are realising that the only way to keep readers/viewers is to ride the wave. as always. This time around it's the doom wave.

HOLA445

Falling house prices and pound falling against the Euro? When the HPC bottoms out, will Europeans be flocking to buy up our empty BTLs, or will Britain have adopted the Euro by then? I think we might do so if and when it reaches parity, since that would appear to be easier, with no conversion rate to worry about.

HOLA446
Falling house prices and pound falling against the Euro? When the HPC bottoms out, will Europeans be flocking to buy up our empty BTLs, or will Britain have adopted the Euro by then? I think we might do so if and when it reaches parity, since that would appear to be easier, with no conversion rate to worry about.

Worry about growth rate, not conversion rate. Particularly Spain's.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
Yep, just walked past Thomas Cook and the rate offered was a mere 1.17 / £.

It's going to hit people on holiday hard this summer.

bloody hell

when i went ot italy last september i was buying from the post office at £1.43

wont be long before its £1-1 or less?

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

I have a hunch the Euro strength won't last forever.

It can't really lets face it with Ireland, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands taking a kicking.

Even if Germany and France are the puppeteers, if they aren't careful the Euro will cease to exist as each country finds they are better off with a seperate currency.

Every member state that joined the Euro found their actual cost of goods went up.

The UK is however taking a kicking right now and it hasn't really even shown up in the mainstream economy yet, which is worrying as it shows it might have a way to fall yet.

HOLA4412

But it is good news for manufacturing, particularly export manufacturing. Sure, raw materials and energy costs will go up when measured in pounds, but so will the corresponding price element of the exported goods. In other words: pay more out to buy raw materials, recoup the cost when selling the finished goods. However a weaker pound means that the value added by UK labour will be cheaper (provided that wages can be kept down, which will happen one way or another in the long run). Don't forget that manufacturing is largely about the part I italicised. It's not (or shouldn't be) about commodities trading.

A weak pound will also help with our trade imbalance from the other side, by reducing demand for imports and foreign holidays.

If a weak currency is not good news for manufacturing and exports, why has China kept its currency artificially low for so long, and why have they enjoyed an unrivalled export boom during this period?

Conversely, why were UK exporters (and media) howling when the pound was being boosted by North Sea oil in the early 1980s?

Edited by huw

HOLA4413
But it is good news for manufacturing, particularly export manufacturing. Sure, raw materials and energy costs will go up when measured in pounds, but so will the corresponding price element of the exported goods. In other words: pay more out to buy raw materials, recoup the cost when selling the finished goods. However a weaker pound means that the value added by UK labour will be cheaper (provided that wages can be kept down, which will happen one way or another in the long run). Don't forget that manufacturing is largely about the part I italicised. It's not (or shouldn't be) about commodities trading.

A weak pound will also help with our trade imbalance from the other side, by reducing demand for imports and foreign holidays.

If a weak currency is not good news for manufacturing and exports, why has China kept its currency artificially low for so long, and why have they enjoyed an unrivalled export boom during this period?

Conversely, why were UK exporters (and media) howling when the pound was being boosted by North Sea oil in the early 1980s?

Aren't the exported goods cheaper to buy? That's why it boosts exports. It's the increased volume of sales due to being more competitive that gets a boost.

HOLA4414

thats rather lazy!

like waiting for your house to be worth £1 as its a nice easy number!

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Aren't the exported goods cheaper to buy? That's why it boosts exports. It's the increased volume of sales due to being more competitive that gets a boost.

Exactly. Imports get more expensive and exports get cheaper, meaning the balance of trade improves (and it needs to!)

The original report is correct in saying that imported raw materials get more expensive, but where they are re-exported as manufactured goods then the overall effect should be broadly neutral. The difference then comes in the cost of adding value within the UK.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
thats rather lazy!

like waiting for your house to be worth £1 as its a nice easy number!

It's also strange how all those other countries managed to join at non-parity rates, I guess they must be better at sums than us Brits ;)

Still, I'm sure the ECB will waive all its usual join-up rules (convergence, currency stability, contributions to central bank reserves etc) just as soon as we reach parity. We need to make sure we don't leave it too late, though; if the pound falls to 0.99 euro then the golden opportunity of 1:1 may have been lost forever and we'll be stuffed :lol::lol:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

On sorting our trade deficit - watchout!

US trade deficit actually increased despite dollar deval.

See Warren Buffet's (exteremely entertaining and informative) letter to investors:

Page 17 on US deficit.

http://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/2007ltr.pdf

Also, Germany pre Euro had a consistant surplus despit a strong Mark - how so? Simple, they were TWICE as productive as everyone else. Deval is a fools solution IMHO.

HOLA4422

I and other have been repeating this point ad infinitum. I wouldn't be at all surprised if we start to see regular snippets of these threads appearing in the media!

HOLA4423