House Price Crash Forum

Gloomy Summer Ahead

HOLA441

I'm normally planning the summer vacation break to France at about this time of year. Two weeks in the south of france jsut relaxing with the family but I fear that this holiday may have to be cancelled.

Firstly I've got less money because all my bills are rising and my income is actually going down due to less work and lower prices.

Another factor is the cost of the mortgage has gone up about £120.00 per month

Council tax has increased by about £20.00 per month

My pound in my pocket is now only worth about about 1.20 Euros and the price of diesel in France is close to 1.05 Euro a litre compared to 0.70 Euros a year ago.

We will still go on a couple of holidays in the UK but our main summer trip to France looks like it might have to be cancelled this year.

I wonder how many other families are feeling the same pressure at the momemt.

HOLA442

In a similar situation. I normally like to have two holidays abroad a year - one in winter and one in the summer (not on the credit card btw - I try to put enough by to pay for them as I go) - I had a lovely week in Egypt over christmas but am now planning to stay in the uk over the summer rather than going abroad as I cannot afford it- we will be going off in the campervan and/or a tent camping rather than going abroad.

Council tax up, petrol up, gas and electric up, food prices up, beer prices up (ooh that one really hurts) - it is all taking its toll on the old holiday fund..

HOLA443

I wonder whether the holiday companies are seeing lower bookings? I'm gutted I'm not crossing the channel this year, god what is it coming to when you can't even afford a camping trip to france.

We've just come back from the Dominican Republic but I'm not sure we'll even get the usual christmas break this coming winter either. It's going to be a grim year I can feel it.

HOLA444

Am also going to ditch our yearly France camping trip for somewhere less exotic in the UK. The fuel costs were getting rediculous and they have hardly improved since then.

Ps the cheapest I got diesel last year in France was 1.02 euros, about 70p a litre. From a E LeClerc supermarket in Mende...that would probably cost about 1.17 now, so not too bad but of course the pound has also devalued on top of that.

HOLA445
I wonder whether the holiday companies are seeing lower bookings? I'm gutted I'm not crossing the channel this year, god what is it coming to when you can't even afford a camping trip to france.

We've just come back from the Dominican Republic but I'm not sure we'll even get the usual christmas break this coming winter either. It's going to be a grim year I can feel it.

Although I don't mind camping in the UK rather than France cos I can't speak French so I am persona non grata there anyway. On the upside - the Lake District, Dorset, The Gower, West Wales - all lovely places to visit - maybe its time we rediscovered the value of holidays here in this country.

After all when I was a kid we spent 2 weeks a year visiting Tenby and that was it! Did that 10 years in a row. Come to think about it they were bloody good holidays too.

I am sure holiday companies are going to be in the frontline when it comes to feeling the pinch, it is one of the first things to go when times get a bit tight. I would expect poor profit reports from Thompsons et al in the next few months.

E

HOLA446
HOLA447
Although I don't mind camping in the UK rather than France cos I can't speak French so I am persona non grata there anyway. On the upside - the Lake District, Dorset, The Gower, West Wales - all lovely places to visit - maybe its time we rediscovered the value of holidays here in this country.

After all when I was a kid we spent 2 weeks a year visiting Tenby and that was it! Did that 10 years in a row. Come to think about it they were bloody good holidays too.

I am sure holiday companies are going to be in the frontline when it comes to feeling the pinch, it is one of the first things to go when times get a bit tight. I would expect poor profit reports from Thompsons et al in the next few months.

E

We still holiday in the UK, but we tend to go on short breaks and we normally go on a few days notice because that way we can pick the weather. I like Europe because of the weather and the fact that campsites are so much better in France than they are in the UK. The food is a major bonus as well.

But beggars can not be choosers, so I really should stop moaning and be thankful that I'm going on hoilday.

HOLA448

E

Funny you should mention that, the infamous Micheal O'Leary of Ryanair thinks a recession is on the way, he tends to be right about most things, even charging for disabled wheelchairs! You can watch it here.

BBC

Edited by Noginthenog

HOLA449

One way of saving money, could be driving over to France maybe staying in Normandy or Brittany in a gite, paying in euros and making sure you stock up with cheap petrol, food and drink before you drive home....the savings made could easily pay for your holiday. ;)

HOLA4410
Funny you should mention that, the infamous Micheal O'Leary of Ryanair thinks a recession is on the way, he tends to be right about most things, even charging for disabled wheelchairs! You can watch it here.

BBC

What a strange interview, he thinks we need a recession.

HOLA4411

Looking forward to a week in the Uk in July leaving the family behind so shouldn't be to expensive. Although when I was last back in summer 05 for a wedding took my 6 year old boy and we both had a ball good weather long days couldn't have asked for a better time. Alhought it was very expensive then and sounds like it is going to be more expensive this time. Just as well the pound is weak that should make up the gap.

Then off to NYC for a wedding same story expensive city but a weak dollar good for me.

Both trips are tax deductible to me that helps to.

HOLA4412
Guest Charlie The Tramp
What a strange interview, he thinks we need a recession.

You always need a recession to brings things back to reality after an artificial boom, feet must be brought back to earth, and the old saying you can only spend what you earn once again becomes the norm. ;)

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
You always need a recession to brings things back to reality after an artificial boom, feet must be brought back to earth, and the old saying you can only spend what you earn once again becomes the norm. ;)

It's going to have to be a big one then.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Wise words....to all those that want/need to read, listen and learn. ;)

HOLA4417

AMEN.

Although if Mr Darling thinks we should have 'insurance' to protect the 'overextended' from HP deflation, then perhaps 'everything will be just fine' as GWB would say.

Government trying to propagate HPI and alter the economic cycle to postpone a recession?

Surely not? ;)

Tucksy

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421

I have been lurking awhile since we were planning a return to the UK from a small Caribbean island in May 08 to buy a house in Lincs - we have spotted an approx 20% drop in prices for the 3-4 bedroom detached type of house we need for the kids since first looking back in September 07, plus finding this great site has led us to decide to sit this out for a while longer to get a cheaper property, especially in light of the travel industry fall-off which looks like massively reducing our income:

- we own a micro-resort (and make commission bookings on 31 others) on a small island whose traditional tourist make up is 70% UK nationals, the majority of the rest being EU zone and North Americans in that order. 2007 was already a quieter than usual year, but we were still registering on average 2-4 new bookings daily across all the resorts we market. But since the day of the Bear Stearns rescue, when I believe the risk of mega recession hit the general UK media/public awareness with another big shock like Northern Rock, bookings have simply collapsed down to a total of 2 in 5 days. Far more of a sudden slump than the usual end of winter high season slowdown.

Similarly, I also control the IT for an online booking system for a 100 room Jamaican resort, which has, almost exlusively, a USA guest make-up - we were averaging 3-5 bookings online per day before Friday, now we have had just 1 booking in 5 days.

This collapse is huge and a perfect example of instant consumer cutbacks as people batten down the hatches and eliminate luxuries such as Caribbean holidays - it will be a perfect storm indeed for all in the travel industry across the globe.

In the UK dominated island we are already losing 20% of our european airlift this month, leaving just 8 weekly jets arriving with tourists - I would be amazed if we do not lose more or most of the remaining jets - airlines will be fighting high fuel costs, fx issues and low seat sales. So it looks like I might be one of the 25k per annum east england potato pickers which I recently read about when we return to the UK, since the Poles will have left those jobs vacant.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425