House Price Crash Forum

Bristol.

Sofa Spud

HOLA441

Some more decreases are coming in

Although I think this one was a little optimistic at 170k in the first place.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28439398.html

It's hard to make an arguement for that costing more than £130k isn't it?

This one is rather nice:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27395920.html

Would be good to see that drop below £250k and into "first time buyer - no stamp duty" territory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

It's hard to make an arguement for that costing more than £130k isn't it?

This one is rather nice:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-27395920.html

Would be good to see that drop below £250k and into "first time buyer - no stamp duty" territory.

Doubt it ever will. Crazy, considering it is a 2-bed flat which has had its dining room changed into a bedroom. How are you supposed to seat 4 adults for dinner in the place? And let's not even talk about the parking there. I would consider that ok for <£250k but who knows, that area is bonkers.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA443

Don't know if it is omly wishful thinking but it looks price start going down and few seller seems desesperate for example:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29393165.html from 210 to 120

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-15931578.html?premiumA=true from 150 to 115

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-26775709.html?premiumA=true

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-30702506.html?premiumA=true

Obviously, it is not fantastic places to say the least

Also the seller drop the price very quickly after induction. Sellers seem to adapt supermarket tactics now. As every buyers want to see the sign reduced before starting bargaining. they reduce it within 1-2 weeks.

HOLA444

I've been keeping a close eye on BS15,16 and 30 over the last year. There are some nice reductions coming in since christmas balanced out with the you have no chance 2007 prices some are STILL holding out for.

Hold on I've lost touch with reality like everybody else. A 3 bed semi in kingswood at 150K IS NOT A BARGAIN.

Next year maybe! Good luck to all.

HOLA445
HOLA446

Another point on commercial estate:

I spent some time yesterday in the broadmead galleries. Talking with some shop owners, all of them said they are making a loss since christmas and don't expect the market to pick up before may.

the ground and first first are almost half empty., the acrade to go to primark if 3/4 empty. yet no sign of price reduction for renting to businesses.

about 10K a year to rent a tiny unit in the arcade, good luck with that.

HOLA447

My worry is that the raise of interest rate will mask the drop in house prices.

is it better to pay 150K at 4-5% or 120K when the IR will raise to 7-8 %, knowing the spending cut will impact me as hard as anybody?

That's what still confuse me.

If you fix your mortgage at 5% now for 5 years, if rates go up to 7,8 or 9% that is what you might pay for the next 20years!

A 3 bed in Kingswood should be not any more than 4x average salary and I make that 100K. Its Kingswood for god's sake.

I would not pay 100k for this. Would you?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-14793189.html

We have been brainwashed. Even the wise on this site.

HOLA448
HOLA449

Y ou are correct I used this calculator and stupidly used interest only

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/mortgages/mortgage-rate-calculator#result

So it saves even more than I thought.

Thanks

The bankers are very pleased I was right and you were wrong. For a moment they were worried about the bonuses they would get from the extra interest on all their millions of mortgages. :lol:

HOLA4410

Whilst I agree there is plenty of optimistic asking prices in Bristol, there is also some better value stuff consistently appearing now.

You can get a choice of places for under 100,000 now, without buying in knowle west, if your not sniffy about where eg. redfield, st. george, withywood, eastville, easton.

Personally I would not live in easton, but prices are getting more realistic.

A total of 277 properties including flats appear on rm search Bristol under 100,000.

Its reasonable to offer 10% off.

Im sure I remember around the top of the market the same search would have produced maybe 6 - 10 properties.

Its getting better for buyers but theres a way to go yet.

I've just done the the same rm search .A total of 301 properties available in Bristol sub100k. So it's heading in the right direction.

Why don't we bench mark and re-visit?

Also 431 3 bed properties sub 150k is a need to know for a FTB with a family like myself.

Add your own and we could get a good track on the trend.

HOLA4411

Quick update on Bristol market tracking

Have been doing this for 14 months now - so have a good annual record to compare.

We are now out of the New Year dip, and supply is rising again healthily.

Supply in my area is over 30% more than it was at this time in Feb last year (pretty much to the day).

Is at the level of well into spring bounce territory last year (early May)

Interestingly lots of multiple roomed houses coming on (landlords bailing out) at prices well below the OO equivilant. If you want to get a better price on houses, then bailing landlords are the place to go - they calculate by rental yield, which gives values well below the hopes of most aspiring Bristol home sellers

HOLA4412

Except.... rentals in Bristol (some of them, anyway) are also in pie-in-the-sky territory. The major short-term rent providers (Unis, MoD, businesses) don't help really. I mean, £800pcm for a shite house in a shite area or a tiny rabbit hutch in Cotham, what's the point? :angry:

Edit: Keep up the monitoring, though. Property moves so slowly and price data is manipulated, so a long-term view is needed to see any decent changes.

Edited by Cash with Nowhere to Go

HOLA4413

I have been observing many price drops in areas I am analysing. Ironically, properties priced over 300k seem to be moving, below that, it's a complete stand off between sellers and non-existant priced-out buyers.

This property is very much outside of my search area (Because it's a hovel), but it probably is the most deluded EA description I have ever seen and caused much hilarity when spotted in the local property papers over the weekend. WELCOME TO PARADISE:

http://www.haart.co.uk/buying-house/Mapsearch/search-results/Property-details_170666.aspx

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I have been observing many price drops in areas I am analysing. Ironically, properties priced over 300k seem to be moving, below that, it's a complete stand off between sellers and non-existant priced-out buyers.

Keep in mind that this is a picture that exists on a national scale. Effectively the market appears to be divided between those that have a massive backpocket and those that need a mortgage. Look at page 13 in the landregistry statistics, see http://www1.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/library/documents/HPI_Report_Jan_11_lanifs45.pdf Declining sale-numbers are only present for houses <400k.

HOLA4416

Just comparing the number of properties available on Rightmove with that of a year ago for Bristol postcodes shows a 30% increase overall

DAY   DATE       BS1   BS3   BS4   BS6   BS7   BS8   BS9       Total=======================================================================Wed 10/03/2010    96   180   260   162   195   202   165        1260Wed 09/03/2011   154   268   291   201   273   245   206        1638% increase       60%   48%   11%   24%   40%   21%   24%         30%

I'm not sure how prices seem to be continually rising given these numbers but I guess a lot of them could be overpriced and staying on the market for several years due to people not needing to sell.

What is everyone else seeing in Bristol at the moment? Any increase in the number of properties coming to market? Any areas where prices are dropping?

Edited by Bristol Dylan

HOLA4417

Just comparing the number of properties available on Rightmove with that of a year ago for Bristol postcodes shows a 30% increase overall

DAY   DATE       BS1   BS3   BS4   BS6   BS7   BS8   BS9       Total=======================================================================Wed 10/03/2010    96   180   260   162   195   202   165        1260Wed 09/03/2011   154   268   291   201   273   245   206        1638% increase       60%   48%   11%   24%   40%   21%   24%         30%

I'm not sure how prices seem to be continually rising given these numbers but I guess a lot of them could be overpriced and staying on the market for several years due to people not needing to sell.

What is everyone else seeing in Bristol at the moment? Any increase in the number of properties coming to market? Any areas where prices are dropping?

Similarly

DAY   DATE       BS7   BS16   BS32   BS34   BS35   BS36       Total=======================================================================Wed 18/03/2010    194   427   118   141   144   68        1092Wed 09/03/2011   271   569   133   225   153   100        1451% increase       39%   33%   12%   60%   6%   47%         32%

Ames

HOLA4418

Similarly

DAY   DATE       BS7   BS16   BS32   BS34   BS35   BS36       Total=======================================================================Wed 18/03/2010    194   427   118   141   144   68        1092Wed 09/03/2011   271   569   133   225   153   100        1451% increase       39%   33%   12%   60%   6%   47%         32%

Ames

Thanks for those extra numbers, interesting that BS34 has so many extra properties available, that's Bradley Stoke isn't it? Seems relatively cheap compared to other districts too.

HOLA4419

Thanks for those extra numbers, interesting that BS34 has so many extra properties available, that's Bradley Stoke isn't it? Seems relatively cheap compared to other districts too.

"Sadly Broke" maybe broke again :( / :)

BS35 is full of ageing boomers/empty nesters sitting in large 4 bed houses, thus only 5% and modest falls.

Ames

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4420

Facts to back up almost exactly what I have been seeing since Christmas. Ignore the Annual change and look at the delicious Bear Nibbles being offered up by the quarterly changes.

Detached House prices are particularly delicious. Num Num Num. Also, check out how few properties have actually sold.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_depth/uk_house_prices/counties/html/county19.stm#table

Hold on to your Hats.

• 1 month later...
HOLA4421

I've been looking around Bristol for the last six months or so!

All my (not unreasonably) low offers have been rejected!

I'm fairly sure I will be thankful of this, in a year or so! :huh:

HOLA4422

I live close to the Clifton Downs shopping centre. I have noticed quite a number of recently closed commercial properties in the surrounding area. In this area new businesses appear to spring up to replace the recently closed, but a recent count was 6 or 7 empty properties in a usually buoyant area. In the centre is the Panasonic shop. Businesses in this particular unit do not appear to stay around for long (it was at one time a McDonalds, then an furniture shop). The shop always looks empty when I pass by.

HOLA4423

I live close to the Clifton Downs shopping centre. I have noticed quite a number of recently closed commercial properties in the surrounding area. In this area new businesses appear to spring up to replace the recently closed, but a recent count was 6 or 7 empty properties in a usually buoyant area. In the centre is the Panasonic shop. Businesses in this particular unit do not appear to stay around for long (it was at one time a McDonalds, then an furniture shop). The shop always looks empty when I pass by.

This could mean extra supply on the residential market soon - the Government are making it easier to convert commercial to residential without planning permission.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-12792614

• 2 months later...
HOLA4424
HOLA4425