House Price Crash Forum

Sellers Moving To Australia Not Having Much "lick" Selling

Rolf Harris

HOLA441

Some choice quotes on that thread:

US - we are 8 weeks on the market, 1 viewing and £25,000 under starting price already. Jason flies out alone on the 3rd April, I stay and sell, if in 6 months we haven't sold he comes home - end of dream !!!

What's that? You didn't plan properly. Tough.

we did have a cheeky offer for 220k which we declined but it now looks favourable.... we need the money - we aren't sat on a fortune... going to validate in April just have to see how we go on from there.....

tut tut tut. No sympathy from me at all there.

After having 4 viewings and notes of interest, i had a verbal offer of £8000 under. The price is set at offers over as that how it works here in Scotland. My house has been on the market since last friday. What a cheek that person has. I've decided to wait and see. Bloody EA they told me that at the moment houses here in my town & of my size are goin for 27% over asking price. i would settle for 10% never trust the EA's

Oooooh the cheek indeed. These people are absolutely bleedin clueless. Blinded by their greed.

The slump happened back in August last year and since then it has been climbing back up. EAs in general have reported an increase in viewings for February compared to January.

Yes, that's right. After around 4 months of record lows in volume. :lol::lol:

Incidentally the house I'm renting WAS owned by a couple who have now emigrated. They moved without selling and had the house on the market for around 18 months (fairly desirable area of Birmingham). They then bought in Aus relying on getting the asking price for their house within around 6 months. Didn't get a sniff (except for us who offered 20% below) so in stepped.....

...... bank of mum and dad. Gave them the asking price and took it on as BTL, now renting it to us at a very nice rate as far as we're concerned. We've been in a month and the boiler has gone. Will have to be replaced at a cost of around 2k. It will be a loooong time before they're making any money out of us. :)

HOLA442
They don't seem bitter to me. Sad, frustrated, ill-informed and increasingly desperate. But not bitter.

From what I read on the thread, none seemed ill-informed but all seemed ignorant. Not the same thing.

Every bit of literature I read (NZ and Aus magazines) and every bit of advice I took (immigration depts) said put your house on the market AT LEAST 6 months before you're due to leave (and this was in times of HPI). Yet poor old Cheryl on page 1, is due to fly out in April and puts her house on the market January 2008. That's not ill-informed, it's not even ignorant, it's just plain stupid.

HOLA443
HOLA444
Who says they're looking for sympathy from you?

Well the fact they're posting as they are suggests they're looking for sympathy from anywhere they can get it. The emotive language, the overuse of smilies, the shooting down of someone challenging the little status quo they've got going in the thread.

'Why won't these nasty buyers give me what I say my house is worth? Boo hoo, they're wrecking my dream!'

Idiots to a man (actually more like to a woman) on that thread. Most of them would be back within 2 years anyway as anyone who has no basic financial or deal making acumen is not the type of person who thrives as an immigrant.

HOLA445

Some quotes on the ex-pat forum looks like alot will end up in Oz skint

An Honest EA

I was onto my EA yesterday and he was all doom and gloom. He suggested renting it out until the market changes. Not what you want to hear from an EA that has only had the property on his books for a month and a half!!!

and look at the desperation as there are no buyers :lol:

We have just had the same rationale conversation in pizza hut We are in the paper again tomorrow (now at £25005 under original valuation), will give it 2 weeks then reduce another 20K, if we don't get anything at that price, Easter will be more or less over and we are going to try and sell to one of the cheap companies and know they will offer approx £65,000 under valuation - needs must for us, Jason flies on the 3rd April

Ehhhmmm not too Sound Fundamentals to me :lol: not so cooling down or soft landing more like crash landing to me

Edited by joey

HOLA446
HOLA447
You sound bitter.

And you sound like you jump to conclusions too easily.

Was simply rejecting the suggestion I should feel sympathy for those suffering losses.

I don't feel bitter - I DO feel glee... but only at the decision not to have bought during the last 3 years.

I agree.

Do you want houses to be affordible for your or your family or do you want people to suffer?

Your glee at the snippet of the story makes me think you are a sad sad individual.

Given the valuations on property and the mortgage debt many people have taken on to get in the game + other debt..... I just can't see how suffering can be prevented. Please explain this magic solution for affordable houses with no suffering. People are going to suffer.

HOLA448

Well done, original poster, for spotting this. I think this is tremendously significant as this is ordinary people (not VI or HPC doomsayers) saying what the market is actually like out there. The sadness is of course that these people, with perfectly legitimate and commendable desires to better their lives (in this case abroad), will be the people who suffer from the unwinding of the hysteria of the house price boom.

(Mind you of course, if someone had sold their house straight away, would they contribute to that post....)

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

This demonstrates another way in which high house prices have been encouraging emigration. Not just because people can't afford to buy a house in the UK, but because ordinary people who did buy houses in the 90s are able to take out $250,000+ in equity that can buy them a nice house in many other countries for free (or be a big deposit on a nicer house).

Brown's HPI has literally been paying people to leave the country, just as it's been paying companies to sell their UK factories for 'executive apartment' developments and set up shop abroad instead. ******tard.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
This demonstrates another way in which high house prices have been encouraging emigration. Not just because people can't afford to buy a house in the UK, but because ordinary people who did buy houses in the 90s are able to take out $250,000+ in equity that can buy them a nice house in many other countries for free (or be a big deposit on a nicer house).

From the perspective of Western Australia that certainly was the case a few years ago where there was about a 2 year lag with UK prices surging and Perth prices still relatively cheap with low interest rates.

Every international flight was full of "Cashed up Poms" coming here, with plenty of equity and exchange rates at 2.5 or better buying houses for cash, brand new 4x4 and boat on the drive and going in to semi retirement.

My story? Sold house in UK for 450,000 in about Nov 2006 (bought in 1997 for 132,000, spent about 100,000 on fixing it up)- I was a "shrewd genius" (for shrewd genius read "lucky") but meant I had to buy here at the peak where I was probably the "last fool". Swings and roundabouts and all that... :lol:

It's not like that now, HPI was worse than in the UK and now mortgages of 10x salary are common place as is mortgage stress of well over 30% of income. We've got liar loans here too, by the bucketful. Every other person you meet is a property investor, encouraged by generous negative gearing (so as the Govt. don't have to build as many council houses).

The conversation's sound familiar to those in the UK, "thousands are moving here every month", "house prices double every 7 to 10 years" "prices never go down". I guess one difference is here in Aus we do have stuff that others want to buy like iron ore (lots of it), wheat, gold, nickel, the list goes on...

To me that might be the factor that differentiates Australia from the UK regarding whether there will be a crash in prices or a "softening". Personally I'd like to see a humongous crash, I've always fancied a little weekend retreat in the hills.

The state of play right now in Perth, a stand off between buyers and sellers, loads on the market and first time buyers priced out. Does this sound familiar? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=520403

See ya,

Rolf...

Edited by Rolf Harris