House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Harris

Sellers Moving To Australia Not Having Much "lick" Selling

Long time lurker first time poster.

Whilst I take no pleasure in the plight of the people in the thread below following the same path I did exactly 5 years ago I do think it's a brilliant anecdotal which is why I've made it my first post.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518829

"As title guys and girls i am fed up now as we all have our visas and are looking forward to our new lifes in eaton yet we just need to sell our house and yet we are haveing no lick

what makes this worse though is i got made redundant 4 weeks ago and was hopeing house would sell quickly...

that way a nice fresh start and bit of rest before we set off lol!!

anyway who else is in a similar situation...."

Edited by Rolf Harris

Whilst I take no pleasure in the plight of the people in the thread below following the same path I did exactly 5 years ago I do think it's a brilliant anecdotal which is why I've made it my first post.

"As title guys and girls i am fed up now as we all have our visas and are looking forward to our new lifes in eaton yet we just need to sell our house and yet we are haveing no lick

what makes this worse though is i got made redundant 4 weeks ago and was hopeing house would sell quickly...

this is a classic :lol: i feel the need to bookmark it

i cant be bothered to sign up but i can see some fun to be had,please, somebody do it :lol:

I can see it would be fun if it were an EA or BTL forum, but these people are ordinary families. It's pretty sad IMO.

From the forum..

The spring is the time houses start to move, so my estate agent brother in law tells me

So there you have it. No need to worry. An estate agent has spoken and all will be right.

Actually, poor buggers. Life on hold because of a worldwide HPI scam thats going tits up

Very interesting thread and proves the point about forced sellers bringing the market down. What´s frightening for the sellers is they are dropping the price by large amounts and still not getting any offers :o

There also seems to be a desperate hope about the ´Spring Bounce´ which I fear is not going to materialise this year. Lots of cancelled flights I think!

I can see it would be fun if it were an EA or BTL forum, but these people are ordinary families. It's pretty sad IMO.

I agree.

Do you want houses to be affordible for your or your family or do you want people to suffer?

Your glee at the snippet of the story makes me think you are a sad sad individual.

It's hard to pity people who use so many emoticons. Makes them all seem deeply idiotic. It's as though every British office is losing its clown to Australia. I for one will miss those wacky ties.

Whats sad, wanting to sign up and bate them or the situation they find themselves in?

If it's the later what exactly is sad about it, they have benefitted from a bubble and are now trying to extract the cash they have made simply by going along with the tide. It's one big sob story from them when what they are doing is trying to off load an over priced place on somebody else so that can go and chase a dream.

The evidence for me that they are not of the STR forward thinking type is that they have forumlated this great UK escape plan based on some over hyped valueation from an EA with no room whatsoever to negotiate. They have based their dream and set a budget based on this pie in the sky figure, anybody with half a brain would have looked at the risk and based thier asspirations on a low figure to deal with the possibility that they wouldn't sell for full price.

I agree.

Do you want houses to be affordible for your or your family or do you want people to suffer?

Your glee at the snippet of the story makes me think you are a sad sad individual.

Where exactly did I express "glee"?

"weve had 2 viewings since aug 07.one nice couple offered 1/2 price after we had stayed in all morning and tidied everything away"........classic, I wonder if the merry pranksters were hpc members :P

Is there any way of checking where Realistbear & CGNAO were on the day in question?

:lol:

It is pretty sad I suppose. But then, if you've made the decision to up sticks and leave the country you probably have to consider yourself as a "distressed seller" and accept that you're not going to get the same price level that a more relaxed seller might get. "Price to market" an' all that.

The silver lining is that if they're heading to Sydney, there seems to be similar problems developing there.

I suppose they have two choices now;

1. Take a much reduced offer, or

2. Rent it out and sell it in a few year's time and rent when they arrive in Oz.

All depends how much they've MEWed over the last few years doesn't it?

If they are suffering as a result of the decisions they've made then too damn bad.

No one asked them to take out a crazy sized mortgage or feed on equity release.

If you fail to educate yourself, regularly update yourself with relevant information, or question why house prices have risen so strongly over the past 8 years and whether it can be sustained.... well you can't feel sorry for everyone.

In my experience the glee has been the other way around... home-owners lording it over me... dismissive of my situation... but unaware of my cash firepower.

Are they sure that they are moving to Australia? The pronunciation of "luck" to "lick" indicates they've been learning Kiwinglish.

Hope they like fush and chups.

I notice nobody's mentioning the slide of the £ against the Ozzie $. Most seem to be worried about losing 10K in their asking price.

What they should be worried about is the pound now worth $2.13 when it has been $2.56 in the last year.

I think I was lucky, I sold a year ago and moved my equity when the NZ$ was around 2.90 to the pound, it's now about 2.45. All thanks to this site. ;)

Long time lurker first time poster....

Thanks for posting this Rolf. This thread has made me laugh more than any other. My fave quote is from Joanne

"...It really sucks in Lincolnshire. Houses take for ever to sell here. Wish I'd stayed in Derbyshire now. Both our houses sold within a week..."

So for anybody out there wanting to avoid the crash, move to Derbyshire before it's too late. :lol:

What has started to worry me is these idiots are going to move to the same part of the world as I'm moving to. :angry:

Property is all about timing a few years a house would have sold in 5 minutes above the asking price, I have been there thankfully at the start of the boom in bidding wars, we won't see that sort of boom for at least 10 years now. Also with the English way of selling there is no guarantee a pproperty is sold until contracts are exchanged which could be upto 6 months after a price is agreed. In Australia it could be done 2-4 weeks and if the buyer pulls out after agreeing a price the seller could pocket the deposit.

Australia isn't the place it was 20 years ago property and rents have shot up. In alot of cases in most of the major cities the rent can be upto half the wage packet before tax . Reading what people are taking over as deposits they are in for a shock. If you have heaps of dosh you can live a great life close to Sydney Harbour and the Beaches. Less dosh and struggle in West Sydney with the car jackings and the gangs . Though you can't beat the weather though :lol:

Also extremly Capitalistic very close to the USA (no thanks to the Liberal (Right Wing) government that was in upto last year). Also there are Proprty Spruikers galore in the same mould as Inside Track . Umpteen free seminars that lead to another one for a price.

Alot different from Wickers World circa 1988

Edited by joey

House has been on the market on/off since April 07... buyer last year at 275k couldn't sell theirs.... dropped to just under 250k, buyer again this year who has admited that their house didn't sell when it was on the market previously so we are def in for the long haul. we did have a cheeky offer for 220k which we declined but it now looks favourable.... we need the money - we aren't sat on a fortune... going to validate in April just have to see how we go on from there.....

Shelley - aka desperado of leeds

This is the way the world ends..not with a bang but a whimper

I think the bitter ones are the wannabe expats trying to sell their houses at the moment.

They don't seem bitter to me. Sad, frustrated, ill-informed and increasingly desperate. But not bitter.