• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
I don't think anyone will have a problem with me posting this link.. if so, please remove.

(We are all on the same team after all!)

http://www.property-tools.co.uk/

That's a better idea. However, read beerhunter's thread as he plans on releasing another version in the near future so does not want info. circulated too widely.

HOLA448
That's a better idea. However, read beerhunter's thread as he plans on releasing another version in the near future so does not want info. circulated too widely.

Oops, didn't see that bit.. I think we may all be overloading his ADSL connection because it is running painfully slowly now.

Sorry Beerhunter :unsure:

HOLA449

What a result! I agree this needs to be kept low key. I cant find beerhunters info though for further updates....

Im finding all the properties are coming up with the new price format but without reductions. I looked at a friends property who I know has been reduced but no 'previous price being shown' only todays date with latest price......any idea why anyone?

Edited by Muskoka

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
It would be awesome if it presented true histories.

I pointed it at an area I'm interested in, and it says all the properties have histories only in 2008 - which is bunkum... One place has been on the market for over a year to my personal knowledge.

The history only starts when the first person with the plugin views the property.

HOLA4415

I pointed it at an area I'm interested in, and it says all the properties have histories only in 2008 - which is bunkum... One place has been on the market for over a year to my personal knowledge.

It would be more awesome if people understood what it does. It takes the property descriptions that you look at with the plugin installed and uploads them to a server so that subsequent visits can be compared. There is no historical data as the guy doesn't own or have access to RM's database.

TBH, I question whether this will be much more useful than PropertySnake. It would seem likely to suffer from the same shonky data issues.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

it shows only your personal history! you would have to search this property in 2007 with the installed plugin!!!

HOLA4418
The history only starts when the first person with the plugin views the property.

Ah-ha... that's helpful info. Documentation is still thin on the ground, but I am now tempted to say that while this plug-in is marginally useful at the moment - I now think it will be invaluable in a few months' time.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Hi A.Steve,

Without wishing in anyway to steal the OPs thunder (it is a fantastic find!) It works like this (my understanding).

When you load up a page full of properties you are interested in it "remembers" the prices for future reference. These are all saved on a central server.

Next time you (or someone else) looks at the same property it will compare the last price to the new and let you know if anything has changed.

The more people that use it, the better it should become.

N.B. No problem with the server.. my router was playing up.

Edit. SPG

Edited by libspero

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest happy?
It would be more awesome if people understood what it does. It takes the property descriptions that you look at with the plugin installed and uploads them to a server so that subsequent visits can be compared. There is no historical data as the guy doesn't own or have access to RM's database.

TBH, I question whether this will be much more useful than PropertySnake. It would seem likely to suffer from the same shonky data issues.

The system can only ever be as good as the data entered. In my experience transposition typos (e.g. £349,000 entered as £394,000) are easily identified and don't therefore significantly impact on data quality - particularly where one is looking at a reasonable sample e.g. 50 two-bed terraced houses in a particular postcode.

What's more difficult to account for are properties where the total lot changes e.g. someone add a couple of acres of land and the price appears to increase. The other main drawback is where a property is withdrawn and then re-posted by an agent at a lower price - if the property ID changes I'm betting this system cannot identify that it's the same property.

However, even taking account of the above limitations this tool (as propertysnake) is still useful and, as you say, many of the criticisms which people have posted demonstrate their own ignorance rather than a fundamental flaw with the logic of the tool.