House Price Crash Forum

Thrift

cynic

HOLA441

Now that I'm well into my dotage, I've started to get concerned about dwindling funds and ways of saving money. At the moment I am trying to learn to enjoy using less heating, to revive the idea of cosiness (wood fire in one room in the house, electric blanket in a freezing bedroom). This leaves me with more money to spend on high-tech junk.

Anyway, I don't know if this interests others here, but I'll post a few tips on cutting corners when they occur to me.

For starters - and I'm surprised how few people I know do this sort of thing - try freezing left over mashed potatoes, instead of throwing away or taking on extra body weight. They last in the freezer almost indefinitely. Also tinned tuna and baked beans - buy the largest size, it's always cheapest, and freeze portions for later use.

Don't forget the bread-maker. Just made a brilliant cheese loaf.

Does anyone have any other tips, or am I the only tight b@stard on this forum?

HOLA442

Hello Cynic, I like those sort of tips. I've been dreadful with money in the past and still am in some ways.

Here's mine:

Don't discard teabags after one use. Use two old ones for the next cuppa.

Shop at Lidl much cheaper and good quality. Only use Tescos for the stuff you can't pick up there.

I will post some more when I remember them :rolleyes:

HOLA443

tigsrenting - yes the teabag re-use is deployed by the other half. I use loose tea and a strainer which probably saves me 0.02p per cup. Most of my cost-cutting ventures are kitchen-centric and savings are marginal (unless you consider the money I save by not eating at Michelin-starred restaurants). OTOH the sub-zero temperature experiments I've been conducting on my body, and on my rented house's pipework this week through turning down the thermostat to 45F might have saved me 30 quid or so. Now I can go out and buy that mp3 player I don't need.

Bulltraderpt - thanks for the tips. I'm not strong on lateral thinking so had completely overlooked petty theft as part of the thrift exercise, though with my luck, I'd be caught stealing the bog-roll and shamed for it.

Do people actually tout unused time on parking tickets?

Good call on the cheap shops and auctions though there's the danger that you'll buy something you don't need/want.

Season greetings to all at hpc.

HOLA444
Now that I'm well into my dotage, I've started to get concerned about dwindling funds and ways of saving money. At the moment I am trying to learn to enjoy using less heating, to revive the idea of cosiness (wood fire in one room in the house, electric blanket in a freezing bedroom). This leaves me with more money to spend on high-tech junk.

Anyway, I don't know if this interests others here, but I'll post a few tips on cutting corners when they occur to me.

For starters - and I'm surprised how few people I know do this sort of thing - try freezing left over mashed potatoes, instead of throwing away or taking on extra body weight. They last in the freezer almost indefinitely. Also tinned tuna and baked beans - buy the largest size, it's always cheapest, and freeze portions for later use.

Don't forget the bread-maker. Just made a brilliant cheese loaf.

Does anyone have any other tips, or am I the only tight b@stard on this forum?

Hello cynic

One of the first discussion boards I used was www.carpetbagger.com for those types trying to see which BS was going to demutualise next. Anyway, this site changed to rpoints but the spirit of carpetbagger lives on in the forums http://www.rpoints.com/bb/ and when it comes to saving a few quid (or making a few) this site (forums) is great. I'm registered and it's not invasive.

HOLA445
HOLA446
Why do people buy breadmakers?? whats wrong with using a baking tin in the oven?

I haven't got a breadmaker. It's a right pain making it by hand though and when the phone goes as it usually does when it's all stuck to your hands :o

Boot sale here I come.

I like your avatar but I really like your other one with the cat strumming his fingers :rolleyes:

HOLA447
I haven't got a breadmaker. It's a right pain making it by hand though and when the phone goes as it usually does when it's all stuck to your hands :o

Boot sale here I come.

I like your avatar but I really like your other one with the cat strumming his fingers :rolleyes:

But a bread maker is just a small electric oven isnt it? or do they knead the dough as well <_< ?

HOLA448
Let's see what 'tips' I can come up with.

1. When out for a pint, nick the toilet roll from the local gents.

2. Pinch disguarded Sainsbury's receipts and 'reclaim' any left over points into your account.

3. Shop in the local charity shops, before going to more up market chians!

4. When using any of those all day parking car parks, if you get back to your car before the end of the day, sell off the ticket.

5. Go to car boot sales, why bother with all that new stuff?

6. Find out where your local auction house is, have a look for any bargins from distressed over spent mortgaged up to the hilt 'silly billys.'

7. Use price comparison websites.

There you go.

Happy Christmas.

On the bog roll issue. I have trained my bowels to go in the day time - this allows me to use work facilities 5 days a week therefore saving 45 litres of water and a fair bit of toilet roll.

On the heating issue - 16 to 18 degrees is quite comfortable if you dress appropriately. Long johns, 2 pairs of socks and a fleece. Even this time of year I only need the heating on for 2 hours in the morning and 1 hour at night.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Best tip I have (if you are male and like short hair) is to purchase a pair of professional hair clippers (about £30) and to cut your own hair. I cut my own hair every 2 weeks and make the following savings in one year :

26 x £6 (insert here what your barber charges you) = £156

26 x 1 hour (time to travel to and from barbers and waiting in line) = 26 hours = over one day

Plus the convenience of having my hair cut outside of working hours if I wished. The clippers last over three years and so you would be quids in on both money and time if you do like I do

Best,

L

HOLA4411

Do a spreadsheet of everything you spend.

When you get some figures in you soon see where its going and where the savings can be made.

Do a shopping list and always and stick to it - Tesco are experts at separating you from your money. You must be aware of this and keep to a shopping list. Never take the kids with you when supermarket shopping.

Use Netto, Lidl, Aldi.

Car - cheap efficient diesel eg Yaris.

Never buy clothes or shoes at full price - never ever.

Avoid takeaways - cook.

Be organized - buying airline tickets, holidays or hotel rooms and much else is much cheaper if you plan ahead. £9 rooms on Travelodge available now if you book well in advance.

Take sandwiches to work.

Keep a bottle of tap water in the car.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Hello Cynic, I like those sort of tips. I've been dreadful with money in the past and still am in some ways.

Here's mine:

Don't discard teabags after one use. Use two old ones for the next cuppa.

Shop at Lidl much cheaper and good quality. Only use Tescos for the stuff you can't pick up there.

I will post some more when I remember them :rolleyes:

1. Turn your underpants inside out and wear them for a second day

2. Get a Skate Board and hook up a lift to work by hanging onto passing vehicles

3. Go to work at 08:45 and pinch Childrens Bob the Builder Lunch Boxes on the way.

4. Go to the Fish and Chip shop at closing time and barter for the throwouts and waste

5. Invite yourself every night to someone's house and sit around making hints you are hungry

6. Meet a man and screw every last penny out of him, then dump him for someone with some cash who has never been married.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

2. Get a Skate Board and hook up a lift to work by hanging onto passing vehicles

3. Go to work at 08:45 and pinch Childrens Bob the Builder Lunch Boxes on the way.

4. Go to the Fish and Chip shop at closing time and barter for the throwouts and waste

5. Invite yourself every night to someone's house and sit around making hints you are hungry

6. Meet a man and screw every last penny out of him, then dump him for someone with some cash who has never been married.

You are awful .......................................................but I do like you.

HOLA4416

Gross

Silly

Evil

No prob with this - could not be bothered myself because there are far more time and energy efficient ways to save.

Sad

I had a wife like this - I think shes got more money now than if she had not bothered - her life is worse for it. Her children have a broken home - some things are more important than money = Get a good spouse and life will be happy and fulfilled.

Archived