House Price Crash Forum

Northampton

HouseDog

HOLA441

Flip, flop...

Some have 5 or 6 of these available/stc swaps.

If they do get seen by the sellers, I'd hope it would affect sentiment. Seen a couple of cheaper houses recently, wondering if sentiment is less bullish/ponzi and more realistic. There are also some really cheap houses in the less salubrious parts of northampton.

Not the ones I want though, except perhaps for 2...

I guess it's not possible to know for sure if the agents are setting somethings as SSTC, then flipping them back before anyone notices. It would be a good tactic on their part as some idiots might fall for the...someone offered X, so vendor wont accept Y from you. I dont think they are that clever and if they got caught surely this would be seen as fraud. I dont think it's anything mroe sinister than:

Agents gives 20% over value estrimate.

Buyer puts on the market at 25% over-value.

Agents gets them to drop 5% after no viewings.

Someone offers 10% below asking thinking they are getting a bargain.

After hagging the offer goes to 5% below asking.

Mortgage company value values house much less ( as they will be liable for the over-valuation )

No mortgage offer forthcoming.

Buyer pulls out as vendor now thinks someone will pay near asking.

I suspect this is what is happening...or chains collapsing left right and center.

Either way, the agents are shafting themselves not valuing properies at what they think they really are worth.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I guess it's not possible to know for sure if the agents are setting somethings as SSTC, then flipping them back before anyone notices. It would be a good tactic on their part as some idiots might fall for the...someone offered X, so vendor wont accept Y from you. I dont think they are that clever and if they got caught surely this would be seen as fraud. I dont think it's anything mroe sinister than:

Agents gives 20% over value estrimate.

Buyer puts on the market at 25% over-value.

Agents gets them to drop 5% after no viewings.

Someone offers 10% below asking thinking they are getting a bargain.

After hagging the offer goes to 5% below asking.

Mortgage company value values house much less ( as they will be liable for the over-valuation )

No mortgage offer forthcoming.

Buyer pulls out as vendor now thinks someone will pay near asking.

I suspect this is what is happening...or chains collapsing left right and center.

Either way, the agents are shafting themselves not valuing properies at what they think they really are worth.

Death spiral...? Hope so

HOLA443

Trade Descriptions Act:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32062900.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but look at the photos and the floorplan - this is clearly a four bedroom house with a garage conversion and a conservatory. That's it. But it's marketed as an extended five bedroom house?

Are there any rules on this? It seems wrong to me. The so called 'fifth bedroom' is the old garage. I always thought garage conversions don't add any value. The conservatory is quite nice, but they're basically asking buyers to pay an extra ninety grand for it - it's not that nice!

HOLA444

Trade Descriptions Act:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-32062900.html

Correct me if I'm wrong, but look at the photos and the floorplan - this is clearly a four bedroom house with a garage conversion and a conservatory. That's it. But it's marketed as an extended five bedroom house?

Are there any rules on this? It seems wrong to me. The so called 'fifth bedroom' is the old garage. I always thought garage conversions don't add any value. The conservatory is quite nice, but they're basically asking buyers to pay an extra ninety grand for it - it's not that nice!

Priceless !!!

There is one rule...don't touch it with a barge pole !!!

I'm amazed anyone is buying houses at the moment with the over-priced garbage that's currently on rightmove....most of it is some sort of sick joke, at best, out and out fraud at worst.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA445

This estate agent obviously wants to prove their GCSE in English was not wasted. Punctuation wasn't part of the syllabus.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-31581409.html

Annie and her husband admired the house on the prestigious development as soon as they saw it. A former show home, its quiet position overlooking the first tee on the golf course was ideal for them.

Since moving in, the couple have also found that the acoustics in the large, five-bedroom house are superb.

Annie can happily play for hours while her husband enjoys a round of golf at Collingtree Park Golf Course, just a few steps away.

It is 30 seconds to the first tee. It's wonderful, she said. This is a large, very private house in this perfect place.

She added: I'm having lessons and I'm tinkering on the piano really, but if you can play properly it is just lovely.

FEATHERED FRIENDS

From the moment they walked in the door, they liked the airy feel, a mood that still continues throughout the house, said Annie.

It does feel very spacious and light, she said.

They like sitting in the conservatory, reading, chatting and watching the great variety of garden birds pecking at nuts and seeds on the bird feeders.

She said they also love their elegant dining room, where they entertain friends, and enjoy relaxing in the drawing room, perhaps lighting the coal effect fire and curling up on the sofa.

This is another room that has views of the garden, she said.

At Christmas, when the snow was on the ground, we were watching a green woodpecker in the garden, digging a hole through the snow. He was there for ages, she said, delighted with the number of birds from wrens and thrushes, to robins that visit.

She added: I do encourage them.

ACE KITCHEN

Family and friends always comment on the beautiful garden, as they sit at the table in the breakfast area off the large kitchen, and admire the view while Annie cooks.

It is a lovely house for entertaining, there is so much space, she said.

She likes the combination of the traditional style kitchen with its modern lighting and appliances, finding there's plenty of room to work too.

Having a laundry room as well as a utility room makes so much sense, she added.

The laundry room is as big as some kitchens - this house is so practical, she said.

LINKS LOVE

Annie happily recalls the day her daughter and bridesmaids filled the five bedrooms with chatter, laughter, make-up and hairspray.

They were getting ready for her daughter's wedding - and the sunlit galleried landing was one of several perfect places for bridal preparation photographs.

It was a wonderful day, she said. They had all the space they needed, it was so good, she said.

The couple have enjoyed decorating their large, sunny house in classic Laura Ashley wallpaper and fabrics; the sheer amount of space and abundance of natural light meant it was fun choosing their style, said Annie.

I do like a traditional, pretty look, she added. I like the house to be relaxing.

HOLA446

This estate agent obviously wants to prove their GCSE in English was not wasted. Punctuation wasn't part of the syllabus.

Annie and her husband are desperate to sell as it's up with 3 agents:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-34340453.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-28865011.html?premiumA=true

Annie and her husband should drop their price if they want to sell :lol:

Couldn't imagine anything worse than living right next to a gold course...you should pay less for that privilege, not more

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

I love it. They want £120k more than they bought it for 6 years ago as well. Nice money if you can get it.

These are my highlights:

"From the galleried landing there are five splendid bedrooms waiting to be explored."

They're bedrooms not a magical kingdom. You sleep in them, not explore them.

"the family bathroom with Amtico flooring, is a haven in which to unwind"

Yeah, unwind with the newspaper and a roll of Andrex. It's a bog not a haven.

Edited by pablopatito

HOLA4410

For some reason the hall looks 3 times bigger in the Mills and Boon advert:

That's the magic of a good wide-angled lens. Considering you can get a good SLR camera with a wide-angled lens for less than a grand, I've never understood why most estate agents use cheap point and shoot rubbish. It's even more shocking when the photos are blurry. Thousands of pounds in fees and they can't even take a decent photograph for Rightmove. I think it's shocking. When I sold my house the photos were so bad I got them to replace them with photos I'd taken myself.

Rant over.

HOLA4411

I love it. They want £120k more than they bought it for 6 years ago as well. Nice money if you can get it.

These are my highlights:

"From the galleried landing there are five splendid bedrooms waiting to be explored."

They're bedrooms not a magical kingdom. You sleep in them, not explore them.

"the family bathroom with Amtico flooring, is a haven in which to unwind"

Yeah, unwind with the newspaper and a roll of Andrex. It's a bog not a haven.

So they bought in 2005...and the land registry is back to 2004...but they want a profit!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The evidence suggests they are having trouble finding some mug punter to buy it at that price.

Its been on the market since:

09 January 2011

* Initial entry found.

But, to be fair...they have dropped the asking price £495 since then.

This confirms my theory that estate agents are valuing properties 20% over what they are actually worth ( at the moment ). If you dont get at least 20% off the initial asking price now you are paying over the odds.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

For improved printing including floorplans use the print button on the page

print button

4 bedroom detached house for sale

£265,000

St. Georges Avenue, Kingsley, Northampton, NN2

Wasn't one of these for sale recently for about 220?

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-35764967.html

This one possibly:

26th Nov 2010

138 St. Georges Avenue, Northampton NN2 6JF

Detached, Freehold, 3 Beds, 1 Baths, 1 Receps - Edit

£211,000

http://www.zoopla.co.uk/property/138-st-georges-avenue/northampton/nn2-6jf/16368172

What planet are estate agents on.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Update.. The place I was bitching and moaning about earlier in the week has accepted our offer. 8% off current asking (had gone in at 10%), 27% off peak asking.

Survey next, I wonder what horrors it will reveal.

Edited by exiges

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

http://www.northantset.co.uk/community/local-businesses/don_t_panic_over_house_prices_1_3269143 [23rd Nov 11]

Don’t panic over house prices :lol:

DontPanick.png

--------

http://www.northantset.co.uk/community/local-businesses/housing_market_not_all_doom_and_gloom_1_3269168 [23rd Nov 11]

Housing market not all doom and gloom

--------

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Set up a Northampton land email alert a long time ago, typically get just a few entries and the emails themselves are infrequent. Today - 9 - various prices, locations, none interesting, but possibly cheaper than before.

Chance or a single developer offloading or something more significant? Any thoughts?

HOLA4421

Survey next, I wonder what horrors it will reveal.

Update: well, the survey didn't turn up anything major, some damp, some woodworm, but apparently the vendors have taken steps to sort it, and will have guarantees for us. So we're moving ahead.

Part of me thinks with all the printing presses rolling and ZIRP having cash is a very bad idea right now and we're not going to see worthwhile drops. Though I just know the minute we've exchanged there will be 5% monthly house price drops every month for years, but we've waited 3yrs for that to happen and it's time to have a life (which we don't now with all our stuff in storage, and we have LOTS in storage).

Edited by exiges

HOLA4422

Update: well, the survey didn't turn up anything major, some damp, some woodworm, but apparently the vendors have taken steps to sort it, and will have guarantees for us. So we're moving ahead.

Part of me thinks with all the printing presses rolling and ZIRP having cash is a very bad idea right now and we're not going to see worthwhile drops. Though I just know the minute we've exchanged there will be 5% monthly house price drops every month for years, but we've waited 3yrs for that to happen and it's time to have a life (which we don't now with all our stuff in storage, and we have LOTS in storage).

A wise move me thinks. If it's time to buy it's time to buy....

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-20071599.html

A 3 bed repossession that could sell for 47K ... things are changing.

That must be back to 1997 price levels!!!

Things are changing:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/crime/man_arrested_after_morning_robbery_at_mcdonald_s_restaurant_at_northampton_retail_park_1_3322440

"Three workers at the McDonald’s restaurant in Riverside Retail Park, Northampton, shut themselves in and called police as the offender got away with a till understood to have contained cash."

I remember the days when the tills only contained credit card receipts :lol: