House Price Crash Forum

Anecdotals From The Job Front

davidg

HOLA441

A couple of weeks ago my phone was ringing red hot with city institutions looking to hire. A quick ring round shows that plans are currently "on hold" until the situation becomes clearer but likeklyhood is more towards lay-offs than hiring and some, formerly urgent, projects being shelved.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448

We've been interviewing for weeks for a mid-level c-sharp developer in software for a commodities trading corp/ Seen about 6 people - most a bit naff. All on hold as effectively we don't want to hire people better than us. Keep em out so we don't lose our jobs if it goes pear shaped.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
We've been interviewing for weeks for a mid-level c-sharp developer in software for a commodities trading corp/ Seen about 6 people - most a bit naff. All on hold as effectively we don't want to hire people better than us. Keep em out so we don't lose our jobs if it goes pear shaped.

Prediction: With an attitiude like that, you will lose your jobs anyway. Things always sort themselves out. Better developers WILL end up taking the jobs of less good ones. If by some miracle you manage to hold the better developers at bay, they'll simply work for your competitors, and your whole enterprise will go under.

Hope that helps.

HOLA4412
Prediction: With an attitiude like that, you will lose your jobs anyway. Things always sort themselves out. Better developers WILL end up taking the jobs of less good ones. If by some miracle you manage to hold the better developers at bay, they'll simply work for your competitors, and your whole enterprise will go under.

Hope that helps.

Yeah, I agree to be honest.

Edited by stillill

HOLA4413
Davidq, what industry are you in?

I.T.

I worked through the last big recessions of 91-93 and 2001-2003. 2001 so I'm not too worried. Both were interesting times. In 2001 I was working for a large investment bank and at the end of the week after 9/11 the team was told to pack their stuff away and we were gone. The 2001 recession probably didn't affect many people in the UK outside of the finance / IT sector though.