House Price Crash Forum

Had A Market Appraisal On My Place On Saturday

HOLA441

Apparently the location (town centre cul-de-sac) and property type (split level maisonette) are as rare as hens teeth.

I won't go into too much details to protect my identity, but I would personally pay only £30k less than the suggested asking price...and I love my place :blink:

She expects offers of around 5-10% below asking which would still achieve more tha I thought it would. Apparently it would sell almost immediately if I advertised for what I had in mind. Might as well start high and let potential buyers negotiate it down!

Anyway I'll keep you all posted with any progress, but it may be a few months with the asking price as it is :huh:

Btw, I did only have one EA carry out the evaluation because they sell more than any other in my particular area...might as well let them prove me wrong. Here's hoping :praying:

Edited by enworb

HOLA442
Apparently the location (town centre cul-de-sac) and property type (split level maisonette) are as rare as hens teeth.

I won't go into too much details to protect my identity, but I would personally pay only £30k less than the suggested asking price...and I love my place :blink:

She expects offers of around 5-10% below asking which would still achieve more tha I thought it would. Apparently it would sell almost immediately if I advertised for what I had in mind. Might as well start high and let potential buyers negotiate it down!

Anyway I'll keep you all posted with any progress, but it may be a few months with the asking price as it is :huh:

Btw, I did only have one EA carry out the evaluation because they sell more than any other in my particular area...might as well let them prove me wrong. Here's hoping :praying:

Are you saying it's overvalued?

HOLA443
Are you saying it's overvalued?

I'd rather live in a house in a different part of twon for the same money...or pay a bit more for a house not far away.

I don't understand it but flats and maisonettes often sell for more than houses.

To answer your question, yes it is. But it's normal to ask for at least 5% more than it's market value. Trouble is, judging by the speed of which some properties sell, I assume they are achieving very close to the asking price.

HOLA444
Guest Charlie The Tramp

I discussed this with you on another thread. Due to the government and planning authorities saying no permission will be granted in future for cul-de-sacs due to the usual silly social reasons, that existing properties in these locations will command a higher price. On rare occassions when a property goes up for sale in the 6 cul-de-sacs on my estate they are sold even before the For Sales signs are put up. Peace and quite today is another premium buyers are looking for.

HOLA445

enworb

Its Slough what a dump - I went their a couple of months ago but it seemed like I was the only

white person in the high street. For a minute I thought I was in India/Pakistan. When I went to pick

my car up from the NCP I thought I was in Poland.

May be you could advertise your house in what ever language they speak their. Stick on a few zero

as a bonus and you will have the local flocking.

:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

HOLA446

2 pieces of advice:

1) you should have your property valued by more than 1 estate agent - at least 3

2) leave Slough and never ever return

HOLA447
enworb

Its Slough what a dump - I went their a couple of months ago but it seemed like I was the only

white person in the high street. For a minute I thought I was in India/Pakistan. When I went to pick

my car up from the NCP I thought I was in Poland.

May be you could advertise your house in what ever language they speak their. Stick on a few zero

as a bonus and you will have the local flocking.

:rolleyes::lol::rolleyes:

Is that the non-pc way of saying Slough is multi-cultural :lol:

When I go to Marlow it's strange seeing 99% English white people. Indians and Pakistanis are quite wealthy in Slough (not all but many have their own businesses and English born Asians are often the most intellegent. Straight A's in exams are what's expected from their parents) so that has only increased Slough house prices. Polish moving to Slough means more ned for HMO properties so large houses sell easily too.

HOLA448
2 pieces of advice:

1) you should have your property valued by more than 1 estate agent - at least 3

2) leave Slough and never ever return

Thanks for the advice but I can make my own decisions ;)

When I do leave Slough it will only be to go to the Island in the Carribean where my Dad was born....or perhaps Windsor..but only because it's near Slough.

HOLA449
I discussed this with you on another thread. Due to the government and planning authorities saying no permission will be granted in future for cul-de-sacs due to the usual silly social reasons, that existing properties in these locations will command a higher price. On rare occassions when a property goes up for sale in the 6 cul-de-sacs on my estate they are sold even before the For Sales signs are put up. Peace and quite today is another premium buyers are looking for.

I had a call from the EA 20 mins ago. I've got someone viewing it on Monday :huh:

HOLA4410
Due to the government and planning authorities saying no permission will be granted in future for cul-de-sacs due to the usual silly social reasons

Is planning permission no longer being granted for cul-de-sacs? Is that true?

What social reasons are there for not permitting the construction of cul-de-sacs? :huh:

HOLA4411
Is that the non-pc way of saying Slough is multi-cultural :lol:

When I go to Marlow it's strange seeing 99% English white people. Indians and Pakistanis are quite wealthy in Slough (not all but many have their own businesses and English born Asians are often the most intellegent. Straight A's in exams are what's expected from their parents) so that has only increased Slough house prices. Polish moving to Slough means more ned for HMO properties so large houses sell easily too.

So if my neighbour encourages all his A level maths students to get grade A. This will help houses increase in the area he teaches. :lol::lol::lol:

If exam grade are anything to go by the crash has definately started in Slough.

Good luck selling your house their are plenty of suckers out there. :P

Edited by E Powell

HOLA4412
So if my neighbour encourages all his A level maths students to get grade A. This will help houses increase in the area he teaches. :lol::lol::lol:

If exam grade are anything to go by the crash has definately started in Slough.

Good luck selling your house their are plenty of suckers out there. :P

Good grades at schools are very important for most families whcih is why the Castleview cathment area of Slough is very popular (and expensive)

Even if a sucker does buy my place they could have done far worse. There are flats that sell far more than mine just because they are new build. At least I have my own front door. Not sure if your "good luck" gesture was sarcasm or genuine but thanks all the same.

HOLA4413
Guest Charlie The Tramp

What social reasons are there for not permitting the construction of cul-de-sacs? :huh:

Yes, was on the News months back and I believe in the Mail as well.

The social reasons are we do not intermix with the common people who live in Roads, Streets, and Avenues. In other words no social intercourse between us. Seriously. ;)

HOLA4414

this is intruiging.

Although I would add that, in my part of zone 2 London, the local council has constructed dozens of new cul-de-sacs by blocking off the ends of various roads. I wonder if this policy will spill out further as anti-car sentiment takes hold.

HOLA4415
Yes, was on the News months back and I believe in the Mail as well.

The social reasons are we do not intermix with the common people who live in Roads, Streets, and Avenues. In other words no social intercourse between us. Seriously. ;)

I have no doubt that this has been mooted - but as my own experience tells, some local councils are pulling in opposite directions (albeit for entirely different reasons).

I spent part of my childhood living on a cul-de-sac. I vividly remember it making the process of learning to ride a bike much easier. :D

(course, there were fewer cars back then, everyone could leave their front door open etc etc)

HOLA4416
this is intruiging.

Although I would add that, in my part of zone 2 London, the local council has constructed dozens of new cul-de-sacs by blocking off the ends of various roads. I wonder if this policy will spill out further as anti-car sentiment takes hold.

Good observation FP, so if you were able to predict where these roads were to be blocked off,forming cul-de-sacs & buy before hand, you may make on the hpi.

Obviously, it's an area ripe for council fraud and backhanders as well.

HOLA4417
Good grades at schools are very important for most families whcih is why the Castleview cathment area of Slough is very popular (and expensive)

Even if a sucker does buy my place they could have done far worse. There are flats that sell far more than mine just because they are new build. At least I have my own front door. Not sure if your "good luck" gesture was sarcasm or genuine but thanks all the same.

I have had my front door since the 70s and it has been mortgage free for the last 15 years. If your grammer/spelling is anything to go by may be you do need to move out of that area.

As for Slough - I would describe this as an Ethnic area. No wonder i was the only white guy on the street.

This type of postcode is characterised by very high numbers of young Asian families living in older terraced housing in our major towns and cities. Within this type 70% of people are Asian. There are also high numbers of students sharing rented accommodation. Overall, the relatively large families and the number of students sharing make these houses some of the most crowded in the country.

Unemployment levels are much higher than average. Qualification levels are low, and where people do work, they are in routine manual jobs or working in the retail sector. Very few women work, and most are likely to be concentrating on bringing up their young families. This type of postcode has the highest number of children under the age of four.

Good luck!!

Edited by E Powell

HOLA4418
Good observation FP, so if you were able to predict where these roads were to be blocked off,forming cul-de-sacs & buy before hand, you may make on the hpi.

Obviously, it's an area ripe for council fraud and backhanders as well.

I never thought of it like that! Sadly, I suspect there will be plenty corrupt practices going on...

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
I have had my front door since the 70s and it has been mortgage free for the last 15 years. If your grammer/spelling is anything to go by may be you do need to move out of that area.

As for Slough - I would describe this as an Ethnic area. No wonder i was the only white guy on the street.

This type of postcode is characterised by very high numbers of young Asian families living in older terraced housing in our major towns and cities. Within this type 70% of people are Asian. There are also high numbers of students sharing rented accommodation. Overall, the relatively large families and the number of students sharing make these houses some of the most crowded in the country.

Unemployment levels are much higher than average. Qualification levels are low, and where people do work, they are in routine manual jobs or working in the retail sector. Very few women work, and most are likely to be concentrating on bringing up their young families. This type of postcode has the highest number of children under the age of four.

Good luck!!

Don't believe everything you read on upmystreet.com ;)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Saving For a Space Ship Posted Today, 01:32 PM

Those Nimbys OO's are not campaigning for their roads to be closed off to traffic just for the noise & safety issues

Now Guys I`m talking creme de creme of cul-de-sacs, not some council sticking bollards at the end of a road.

You know the type no more than 16 houses, a winding road with a turn around at the end, a minimum 50ft front garden, and the houses opposite at least 125ft from you as you look across, no pedestrian walk through only access to residents and services.

Think Martin and Ever Descreasing Circles, then you can picture the true cul-de-sac just like mine. :P

HOLA4424
this is intruiging.

Done that near me too, local council said it was for crime prevention, stop thieves quick getaway after robbin' stuff. Won't stop it near me though, seen them vaulting over the posts no problem,even do it on their bikes , would need 8 foot high fencing ,razor wire,several pit bulls and a big dude with a length of pipe to stop this lot.

HOLA4425