House Price Crash Forum

Primark's £8 Jeans And £2 Bikinis Cause Stampede

HOLA441
Why couldnt these people have visited their local Primark instead where the prices would undoubtedly be cheaper?! When I think of Primark I think of third world sweat shops - how else are the prices so much cheaper than M&S, Debenhams etc?

I thought this, but where do you think M&S get their products from!

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Skank lol!

Anyone see Vanessa Feltz on Wifeswap last week? What her good looking, well dressed ten years younger partner sees in her is beyond me... Her dress sense is like something out of a horror show. She is as appealing as a red hot poker up the bum. Imagine waking up next to that in the morning? Blimey, I'd be on the phone to the Samaritans.

HOLA443

This event is very depressing, fodder for psychology students around the country. Pure rumour has the herds out stampeding.

Once upon a time, not so long ago, surely this opening would also have seen many campaigners for better conditions in third world sweatshops out leafleting the amassing hordes? These days wouldn't we at least expect green campaigners to be out leafleting against the throwaway society. It feels like nobody cares anymore. Shopping is the opium of the people!

Anyone seen the film "Amazing Grace" about slavery - when one character is trying to justify his slave footman, he says something along the lines of, if it wasn't for me rescuing this guy to be a slave footman, he'd be stuck in a sugar plantation. Reminded me of all the people who say that, if the Chinese weren't working 7 days a week in a sweatshop to make our clothes and toys, they'd be worse off...

Talking of herds I was over on the mortgage forums of moneysaving expert today. Full of people trying to work out how to take out massive mortgages to "get on the property ladder, like Sarah Beany says" or how to get a BTL mortgage to keep their old place when they move on.

HOLA444

Its only by the exploitation of people in other countries, that the majority of the working class of this country can survive at all.

I saw a sticker in a car window today "Born to Shop".

I would have said Born to Work then Shop, the purpose of life in the modern world.

HOLA445

Complete false economy, Primark.

I bought a cashmere jumper for £25, thinking it would be a good buy as it was 100% cashmere. How can I go wrong, I thought? By buying it from Primark, it bobbles like crazy and looked 'Primark quality' from the second wearing.

I have bought expensive clothes in the past that I have been able to wear for years, making them cheap in the long run. However, even the more higher end of the high street is starting to flog poor quality goods just to keep that % of profit for themselves.

If you go into Harvey Nichols etc, the higher end designer prices hav gone through the roof. I could afford them a few years ago, now, even though I am on nearly double (through gaining better skills), I wouldn't dream of buying them now, I'd feel guilty :huh:

HOLA446

I'm afraid this these are symtons of poverty. These events are very common in the USA now. Black Friday is getting worse and worse. Cheap near out of date food is flying off the shelves.

Look here:

and...

Edited by Pluto

HOLA447

It really is utterly crass isn't it?

If you think decking someone else for a new pair of kex is bad,just imagine what will happen if there was something REALLY important like a food shortage(and I aint talking about running out of ready-baked ciabatta's)

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
at least when people stampeded the Harrod's sale they were buying quality goods that could last a lifetime. Now it's stampede to buy tat that lasts 5 minutes.

Harrod's sales and what you have going on now are different. The folk you are seeing in these examples are saving a few pounds, not thousands.

Money is starting to get tight as every penny people have is being given to the banks for mortgage payments, or to landlords as rent. This malinvestment is skewing the whole economy. Business's are not investing in capital equipment like they used to, and now manufacturing will suffer for years to come. Even the Oasis boys have said to forget music and buy property.

Examples of poverty will start to appear everywhere. Whole sections of the British public will be eating beans on toast so they can keep a roof over their heads.

Sad.

Edited by Pluto

HOLA4411

In every indicator now it is screaming 'recession ahead'.

Labour, ahem BoE, will keep the wolves from the home owners door for as long as they can, stoking the debts even further, but just because it hasn't happened, doesn't mean that it won't.

A friend of mine said that the non homeowners needn't worry, at least they can buy nice things! As if it doesn't matter, so long as you can keep buying tatt, the country will be happy. Made me laough out loud! I pointed out that is a relatively new thing, rthis going out and spending money. It wasn't like this prior tom 2001 when they lowered interest rates. She looked at me agog, never crossed her mind before. It was as if I had spoken Japanese :lol::huh:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
they are african immigrants i think so they work very hard for no money.

They look more like second or third generation West Indians to me. I suspect the poor African immigrants you speak of would be too busy working on a weekday to stampede around the shops, and at any rate would probably not waste their money on tat at Primark...

HOLA4416
they are african immigrants i think so they work very hard for no money.

Indeed,

However i believe i was at work when the incident occured.

That incident being on a working day

At a working hour.

working out how to do my work.

Edited by slurms mackenzie

HOLA4417
They look more like second or third generation West Indians to me. I suspect the poor African immigrants you speak of would be too busy working on a weekday to stampede around the shops, and at any rate would probably not waste their money on tat at Primark...

They look to me like the same kind of people who normally steam thru West End shops and steal everything in site.

IMHO Oxford street is not part of Britain anymore and resembles some shanty town with stalls and little everywhere. You barely hear the English language spoken and its an embarrasment to our country.

HOLA4418
They look to me like the same kind of people who normally steam thru West End shops and steal everything in site.

IMHO Oxford street is not part of Britain anymore and resembles some shanty town with stalls and little everywhere. You barely hear the English language spoken and its an embarrasment to our country.

It is pretty shocking, and depressing. I try to neve go down there but it's seen as a must do by shoppers, so you end up getting dragged down there by uncool mates ( :lol::ph34r: )

HOLA4419
It is pretty shocking, and depressing. I try to neve go down there but it's seen as a must do by shoppers, so you end up getting dragged down there by uncool mates ( :lol::ph34r: )

The streets just off Oxford street are OK so I try to get the tube into Green Park or similar and walk thru the side streets to avoid the main drag.

HOLA4420

Ended up stepping through Oxford Street a few weeks ago; got sick and tired of people trying to rope me into English language classes (do I need any?) Thinking of opening a `Portsmouth English` language school. Looking to recruit new staff. Qualifications needed: Must smoke shedloads of dope, be covered with tattoos, have no qualifications, oh, and a shaven head would help (but not essential as training can be provided). Previous work experience a disadvantage :unsure:

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Complete false economy, Primark.

I bought a cashmere jumper for £25, thinking it would be a good buy as it was 100% cashmere. How can I go wrong, I thought? By buying it from Primark, it bobbles like crazy and looked 'Primark quality' from the second wearing.

I have bought expensive clothes in the past that I have been able to wear for years, making them cheap in the long run. However, even the more higher end of the high street is starting to flog poor quality goods just to keep that % of profit for themselves.

If you go into Harvey Nichols etc, the higher end designer prices hav gone through the roof. I could afford them a few years ago, now, even though I am on nearly double (through gaining better skills), I wouldn't dream of buying them now, I'd feel guilty :huh:

Never buy cheap stuff, buy expensive stuff cheap.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425
Guest Charlie The Tramp
Never again, not Primark.

All the old biddies love Primark. The store in my area is full of them with their blue and pink rinses. They buy those long flowing skirts, multi patterned tops while not forgetting the wide belts and the baubles around the neck, and to top it off a nice pair of those injun boots. Definitely man hunting IMO as they give youngsters like me the nod as they leave with their up to date fashions, to them pinafores are so yesterday. :)