House Price Crash Forum

Why Is Everyone So Miserable?

HOLA441

Walking home from the gym this morning, I couldn't help but notice how people did not seem to have a smile on their face. Everyone eyed each other up suspiciously, crossing the road, speeding up, etc. Is this the happiness that is embodied in Gordon's economic miracle? Or is simply that it is an overcast pre-spring morning and I should lighten up a little? ;)

While I'm at it, today I feel a little bitter that I am not enjoying the lifestyle a man of my profession would have enjoyed 5-8 years ago. Very bitter, indeed!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
Guest grumpy-old-man
Walking home from the gym this morning, I couldn't help but notice how people did not seem to have a smile on their face. Everyone eyed each other up suspiciously, crossing the road, speeding up, etc. Is this the happiness that is embodied in Gordon's economic miracle? Or is simply that it is an overcast pre-spring morning and I should lighten up a little? ;)

While I'm at it, today I feel a little bitter that I am not enjoying the lifestyle a man of my profession would have enjoyed 5-8 years ago. Very bitter, indeed!

we have different opinions on where the housing market & economy are headed, but I agree with you on this one. I too have noticed the same things.

It's this modern lifestyle & a culture of debt play a large part in creating the misery.

HOLA443

Was it raining? People are surprisingly easy to depress...

HOLA444
HOLA445

Sounds like when I lived in Swindon...

HOLA446
Guest grumpy-old-man
I disagree everyone I meet is happy and enjoying life.

can I come & live next to you in the leafy SE please? ;)

ps - I'm very happy lately. "Can't smile wide enough" as Jim Royle says. :lol:

HOLA447
we have different opinions on where the housing market & economy are headed, but I agree with you on this one. I too have noticed the same things.

It's this modern lifestyle & a culture of debt play a large part in creating the misery.

I wish we could return to the more relaxed environment of my childhood. Perhaps a HPC will eventually get us there.

Yes GOM, we often differ in opinion, but I enjoy the debate!

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

A lot of people are skint. Pay day (for many) is next Friday.

That and we aren't a nation that smiles all the time. I've been to Canada and Spain this year and noticed how happy and polite the locals are...

Or is it that people are simply recovering from a hangover.... I purposely didn't walk through town today because I could hardly open my eyes, let alone look happy :lol:

HOLA4411
Guest Cletus VanDamme

Vince Cable on Radio 4 this morning said something very similar. I have to hand it to him, he's the only mainstream politician who raises this issue.

Could also be the horrible grey cold weather we're enduring at the moment!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest grumpy-old-man
NorthWest. I would never live in the SouthEast. Everyone is miserable down there! Not suprised as the poor quality of life, costs and crowdedness of the place!

excuse my dry humour....

people always tell me that northerners are much more friendly, I can't comment as I don't really want to ask those bloody miserable southerners. ;)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
Guest grumpy-old-man
Vince Cable on Radio 4 this morning said something very similar. I have to hand it to him, he's the only mainstream politician who raises this issue.

Could also be the horrible grey cold weather we're enduring at the moment!

hello CVD,

it's family ties apparently that keeps the vast majority here in the UK, it certainly isn't the weather. :o

the wife & I walking around Brittany & the neighbour said in almost perfect English "we are having really bad winds & it's very cold", we had our tee-shirts & summer gear on & thought it was a lovely day....mind you we lived in the North East for a long time. :o

HOLA4417
Guest Cletus VanDamme
the wife & I walking around Brittany & the neighbour said in almost perfect English "we are having really bad winds & it's very cold", we had our tee-shirts & summer gear on & thought it was a lovely day....mind you we lived in the North East for a long time. :o

Hi there GoM

Yes, remember being up in Newcastle some years ago in middle of winter and all the hard nuts were out in their t-shirts, and the lasses in their mini-skirts!

HOLA4418

I think a lot of people are generally unhappy, and our modern lifestyles and pressures don't help. There are a lot of very p*ssed off people out there too. Our society is becoming polarised. The current situation with house prices, and the way it has divided everyone in to those who are "in", or on the "ladder", and those who aren't is just one example. There are many others (just speak to any small business person for instance). Discussing this with a friend the other day, we came to the conclusion that under the surface, Britain is simmering.

I think I mentioned it before, but if I hear one more person bragging about how much their house is worth, or get talked down to because I can't afford to buy one more time, I'm likely to end up in front of a magistrate. I ask you, honestly, if there is a crash, and loads of people suffer, if I was to walk in to my local pub and say "eh, it's brilliant this crash init, I'll be able to afford to buy a house now" how long would it be before someone filled me in?

We live in one of the richest and most advanced societies on the planet, yet the gap in this country between the haves, and have nots grows on a daily basis. No wonder half the countries brassed off.

Edited by Mrliberty

HOLA4419
I think a lot of people are generally unhappy, and our modern lifestyles and pressures don't help. There are a lot of very p*ssed off people out there too. Our society is becoming polarised. The current situation with house prices, and the way it has divided everyone in to those who are "in", or on the "ladder", and those who aren't is just one example. There are many others (just speak to any small business person for instance). Discussing this with a friend the other day, we came to the conclusion that under the surface, Britain is simmering.

I think I mentioned it before, but if I hear one more person bragging about how much their house is worth, or get talked down to because I can't afford to buy one more time, I'm likely to end up in front of a magistrate. I ask you, honestly, if there is a crash, and loads of people suffer, if I was to walk in to my local pub and say "eh, it's brilliant this crash init, I'll be able to afford to buy a house now" how long would it be before someone filled me in?

We live in one of the richest and most advanced societies on the planet, yet the gap in this country between the haves, and have nots grows on a daily basis. No wonder half the countries brassed off.

The richest country on the planet is a myth. The standard of living has been dropping since the '80s, and has recently started to accelerate down.

HOLA4420

Its not just unhappiness... there is a seething undercurrent of directionless anger in this country. Anger and envy.

I was driving in london last summer in my Saab convertible. Nice car, but with the roof up, so not show-offy. I was driving in a buslane, but after 7pm when the lane restriction ended.

A bus came up beside me at the lights. As the lights changed he crashed into and wrecked my near-side mirror, he had decided to be 'first-off' from the lights.

We went around the corner and he stopped. I was very calm (unusual for me on the roads) as I thought "oh, he's stopping to say sorry". So I parked and went up to the bus expecting a civil apology, exchange of insurance details etc.

Instead the driver came out with all guns blazing "What are you doing in the bus-lane" blah, blah, blah...

Still calm I explained that the bus lane is only one between 7am-7pm, it was now 9pm, therefore I had every right to be there.

At this point several of the passengers joined the driver in shouting at me. "We all saw you", blah blah blah.

I suggested, calmly we call the police. More shouting from the driver and passengers. I lost my bottle thinking that with so many passengers willing to witness against me, I probably didn't stand a chance, the police would tell me to forget about it and move on.

At this point, two pedestrians joined in the shouting at me

"Just because you have a nice car, you think you can do what you f**cking like, rich *******" blah, blah.

I decided to give up at this point. I was quite shaken by the 'mob anger' of all these people who had not seen anything, and knew nothing.

It was a pivotal moment for me, the moment I stopped liking my home country. I realised that I may be more at home now in another part of Europe than here. Psychologically, being part of Europe seems more important to me, it offers us an escape route if things go bad here.

A very strange experience as I remained calm throughout, several times asking people to keep their voices down and look at things 'logically', each time being shouted down.

If people behave like this during a period of Gordons excellent economy, what the heck would happen in a bad recession?

Edited by 2MeterBear

HOLA4421
Its not just unhappiness... there is a seething undercurrent of directionless anger in this country. Anger and envy.

I was driving in london last summer in my Saab convertible. Nice car, but with the roof up, so not show-offy. I was driving in a buslane, but after 7pm when the lane restriction ended.

A bus came up beside me at the lights. As the lights changed he crashed into and wrecked my near-side mirror, he had decided to be 'first-off' from the lights.

We went around the corner and he stopped. I was very calm (unusual for me on the roads) as I thought "oh, he's stopping to say sorry". So I parked and went up to the bus expecting a civil apology, exchange of insurance details etc.

Instead the driver came out with all guns blazing "What are you doing in the bus-lane" blah, blah, blah...

Still calm I explained that the bus lane is only one between 7am-7pm, it was now 9pm, therefore I had every right to be there.

At this point several of the passengers joined the driver in shouting at me. "We all saw you", blah blah blah.

I suggested, calmly we call the police. More shouting from the driver and passengers. I lost my bottle thinking that with so many passengers willing to witness against me, I probably didn't stand a chance, the police would tell me to forget about it and move on.

At this point, two pedestrians joined in the shouting at me

"Just because you have a nice car, you think you can do what you f**cking like, rich *******" blah, blah.

I decided to give up at this point. I was quite shaken by the 'mob anger' of all these people who had not seen anything, and knew nothing.

It was a pivotal moment for me, the moment I stopped liking my home country. I realised that I may be more at home now in another part of Europe than here. Psychologically, being part of Europe seems more important to me, it offers us an escape route if things go bad here.

A very strange experience as I remained calm throughout, several times asking people to keep their voices down and look at things 'logically', each time being shouted down.

If people behave like this during a period of Gordons excellent economy, what the heck would happen in a bad recession?

I know someone that lives in Wickford. Wickford is a dump full of old people and chavs on the dole - its only claim to fame is having a train station that runs into Liverpool Street. He once told me that people who lived in Basildon were poor people and slobs. I asked him what made him think that, and he told me well you can tell because their houses are so cheap.

Go figure.

HOLA4422

There have been many studies that have found that people's happiness is related to their wealth relative to their contemporaries. People who go and live in poor socities are generally happier. My guess is a combination of TV, celeb culture, billionaire non-doms, etc. make everyone feel relatively poor, and thus makes them miserable.

HOLA4423
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Just been watching the free DVD with today`s Mail with another six to follow.

The Darling Buds Of May

Perfek. What a lovely life, wished I was Charlie. :D

HOLA4424
I believe this to be very true. When the crash comes I intend to buy the oldest most unloved house I can and very gradually renovate it. I will not willlingly create envy or jealousy in anyone. I think there will indeed be blood in the streets as the indebted are forced to pay the price of their folly. I regret that many children are going to be dragged in to this situation through the actions of their parents.

For that reason I would never want to be in the BTL business. As interest rates increase and property values start to crash, the natural reaction from BTLs would be to try and recoup their shortfalls by trying to increase rents and reduce the amount of money spent on repairs. This will cause a backlash from tenants which could get very ugly.

The media in the UK love nothing better than putting someone on a pedestal and then knocking them off. I can just see the headline now "Greedy Landlord forces mother and 3 kids on the street for failing to accept a 10% in rent".

HOLA4425