House Price Crash Forum

New Debt Propaganda From Abbey

HOLA441

Translated: "Please take out our enormous Mortgages, we have profits to Make"

Here

This one's a gem: -

I bought my place because I knew house prices would always rise in the long term. And as I don't think interest rates will rise much in the short term, tracker deals are certainly the cheapest mortgages around. They're not risky, as it's in no-one's interests for rates to spiral upwards.

:o

Edited by A Fool & His Borrowed Money

HOLA442
Guest Shedfish

i feel like buying a domain, like bubblefodder or propertybladder, and directing the traffic there out of the goodness of my heart

quote from a property developer i know, the day the IRs went up again - "house prices won't go down - the government won't allow it"

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Shedfish
I like this bit:

http://www.thewordonyourstreet.co.uk/mortgages/flexible

I wonder how much of a house she was able to buy on a lolipop woman's wages?

:lol:

i see the video title is 'mortgages explained'. i think i'd rather hear that from an IFA, at the very least. perhaps your postie knows all about astrophysics. try them! when i was a postie i knew f'all about astrophysics, but i may be an unrepresentative sample

I was looking at this site and laughing - you can submit your own stories - wonder how many of these are real or ad agency created.

going to have to put something together.. bought a third floor 'penthouse' on the Isle of Dogs with my chess team on an IO mortgage with only 10 pounds down. probably sell it to a russian oil tycoon in the summer, or enlist the whole league and buy up the block...

can't go wrong with bricks and mortar. or plasterboard

HOLA448

Adam's Story.

After we got married, Sally and I felt the next thing was to buy a house. We did it because we could. And thanks to the price of housing, there are lots of people who aren't in a position to say that.

Yes, thank heavens for expensive houses.

It's more exclusive this way.

We used an Independent Financial Advisor (IFA) who we didn't have to pay for, as they received a commission on the mortgage we bought through them.

Wow, impressive. :blink:

HOLA449
I was looking at this site and laughing - you can submit your own stories - wonder how many of these are real or ad agency created.

Shall we have a competition to come up with the most cretinous story possible and see if we can get it posted?

Here's mine:

"After doing extensive research consisting of watching episodes of Location Location and reading the house price stories on the BBC news website I decided that now was the time to get on the property ladder. Getting the deposit together wasn't easy I tell you but then Honest Barry's Pucca Mortgages offered me a 10x multiple 125% 50 year interest only variable rate mortgage at only 2% over the base rate and I was laughing! In no time at all I was the proud owner of a 40% stake in a shared ownership new build studio apartment all of my very own. The best bit is it's only twice what I used to pay in rent! I'm certainly glad I'm not throwing money away every month now like I used to and love the feeling of security I get every day from owning a place all of my very own. Each morning I wake up with a feeling of gladness as I depart at 5:30 to do the paper round I've been forced to take on in order to pay for food, but what really keeps me going is the thought of how much my property will be worth in 10 years time".

Do you think they'll put it on the website? :)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Only thing worse than Nathan Barley types creating a media presence for you is old, tired, out of touch, senior execs, thinking they are somehow in 'touch with the kids' and indulging themselves, it's excrutiating isn't it? Funny thing is Halifax dropped the ball in a similar way with buyingyourfirsthome.co.uk. Taking to FTBs, or rather talking down to them, when the average age is 34 takes muppetry of the highest order...

HOLA4412

OMG!

Samia's Story

"I could have had a mortgage for £90,000 but I chose to get one for £73,000 because I was uneasy about paying the maximum"

http://www.thewordonyourstreet.co.uk/search/testimonials/75

JTFC! Is she, like, from the year 1996 or is she on about getting a mortgage today for a garage in Peckham? :lol:

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

God, what a site. Surely as it comes from Abbey there needs to be some regulation, they can't just get away with putting misleading information, even if they are rpesenting it as from the mouths of "people like you"

For example:

"property is better than stocks and shares"

"rent is money down the drain"

"it's better than renting."

"Buying is always a better use of money"

:angry:

big_Alicja.pngbig_Vicky.pngbig_Fran.png

Yeah, they look real :rolleyes:

HOLA4417

OMG!! These are priceless!

When we were renting we'd have to renew every six months, and that's not a secure way to live so we decided to buy because we could afford to

and then:

We might not be in our house for long - it depends what we do with our careers, but it's still worth buying as it's gone up in value and is continuing to do so. Buying isn't the millstone people think - we can sell at any time.

Nice one Tamara - so you want the security of not having to move, but you expect that you might have to move soon. Even if house prices go up, chances are you'll be out of pocket if you have to move soon just due to stamp duty/mortgage fees/solicitors fees/agents fees.

Also you can't sell at any time. Prices could drop and you'd be in N/E or you could be waiting months to find a buyer.

HOLA4418
God, what a site. Surely as it comes from Abbey there needs to be some regulation, they can't just get away with putting misleading information, even if they are rpesenting it as from the mouths of "people like you"

For example:

"property is better than stocks and shares"

"rent is money down the drain"

"it's better than renting."

"Buying is always a better use of money"

:angry:

I agree. I'd seriously consider reporting the site to the FSA. Blatant mis-selling of mortgages. I knew the VIs liked their spin but am honestly shocked by that site!! (and believe me, I don't shock easily ;))

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Bobsta I agree. I'd seriously consider reporting the site to the FSA. Blatant mis-selling of mortgages. I knew the VIs liked their spin but am honestly shocked by that site!! (and believe me, I don't shock easily)

I just complained to the FSA. I'll keep you informed. :)

Edited by unraveller

HOLA4421