Re-mortgaging

Fancypants

HOLA441

Check it out

Mortgage figures signal slowing housing market

Staff and agencies

Tuesday November 14, 2006

Guardian Unlimited

The number of people remortgaging their home in September fell to its lowest level in five years in a sign that the housing market is beginning to cool, new figures out today indicated.

The Council of Mortgage Lenders (CML) said that 79,000 people remortgaged in September, down more than 13% on the previous month's total of 91,000.

The number of people taking out a new home loan to buy a property also fell in September, down to 88,000 from August's figure of 101,000.

Article continues

The sharp drop in the popularity of remortgaging may reflect the fact that lenders are managing to retain more customers for longer by reducing the incentive to switch to other lenders, the CML said.

However, the drop in total mortgage lending could also be a sign that the property market is beginning to slow.

There was a substantial fall in the number of mortgages for home movers, dropping from 66,100 loans in August to 56,700 in September.

The number of loans to first-time buyers also fell to 31,100 in September, from 35,200 in August.

Michael Coogan, director general of the CML, said: "The downward trends in remortgaging illustrate how lenders are reacting to competitive conditions and offering attractive retention products and policies to their customers.

"Today's figures show that slowly but surely the market is cooling as we approach the end of the year in an environment of higher interest rates."

Only 36% of the total number of loans was given to first-time buyers, and buyers borrowed on average 3.25 times their household income. In 1996, almost half of all homebuyers were purchasing their first property.

Fixed rate mortgages have also been less popular. Fixed rates made up for 59% of home loans in September, and the average for the third quarter of this year was 60%. In the previous quarter, 70% of homebuyers chose to fix their rate of interest.

The drop is likely to be connected to August's quarter-point increase in the base rate. As a result, lenders increased the rates of their fixed-rate deals, making them more expensive than the best value variable rate products.

According to the CML, the average interest rate on a fixed-rate mortgage reached 5.24% in September, up from 5.18% in August.

HOLA442
HOLA443

very!

looks like all kinds of mortgage are down

as is "churn". Perhaps this is really because lenders are successfully consolidating their loan books, and people are finding it harder to re-mortgage to cheap deals as re-mortgage fees go up, and up, and up. I saw at the weekend that Nationwide (a very popular one) are charging £1500 on one of theirs!

HOLA444

Fixed rate mortgages have also been less popular. Fixed rates made up for 59% of home loans in September, and the average for the third quarter of this year was 60%. In the previous quarter, 70% of homebuyers chose to fix their rate of interest.

The drop is likely to be connected to August's quarter-point increase in the base rate. As a result, lenders increased the rates of their fixed-rate deals, making them more expensive than the best value variable rate products.

This phenomenon always amazes me. Surely when rates are rising its time more people should be considering a fixed rate?

The attitude seems to be; "with a variable rate the repayments will probably be cheaper this month, next month & the month after. Sod what happens over the following 297 months, worry about that when it happens". :huh:

HOLA445

This phenomenon always amazes me. Surely when rates are rising its time more people should be considering a fixed rate?

The attitude seems to be; "with a variable rate the repayments will probably be cheaper this month, next month & the month after. Sod what happens over the following 297 months, worry about that when it happens". :huh:

presumably fixed rates are being made (on the sly) much less attractive. If the lenders feel that rates are going up, they won't wanna get stiffed by the punters.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

No complex anaysis is needed here

It's simply bad news - there's no mention of it over on the 'good news only' BBC website

They are always the 1st to slap CML reports on the homepage or Business homepage, as long as it's "record" "bouyant" "strong" mortgage lending

Edited by jp1

HOLA4410

Nobody is making a fuss about what is one of the most bearish pieces of news there has been for a while

"The number of people taking out a new home loan to buy a property also fell in September, down to 88,000 from August's figure of 101,000."

Spline will be able to explain better than I can but as I understand it the volume of loans for purchase being taken out is one the best leading indicators of HPI. I would think that this still represents positive HPI but it's still a 13% drop on last month

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

No complex anaysis is needed here

It's simply bad news - there's no mention of it over on the 'good news only' BBC website

They are always the 1st to slap CML reports on the homepage or Business homepage, as long as it's "record" "bouyant" "strong" mortgage lending

e-mail them then!

HOLA4413

Nobody is making a fuss about what is one of the most bearish pieces of news there has been for a while

"The number of people taking out a new home loan to buy a property also fell in September, down to 88,000 from August's figure of 101,000."

Spline will be able to explain better than I can but as I understand it the volume of loans for purchase being taken out is one the best leading indicators of HPI. I would think that this still represents positive HPI but it's still a 13% drop on last month

Seasonal? a question not an answer.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/money/main.jhtm...4/bcninf114.xml

The number of loans to first-time buyers fell to 31,100 in September, from 35,200 in August.
Lending to home movers followed a similar trend, dropping from 66,100 loans in August to 56,700 in September.

Not just remortgages that are down. And the VIs have been saying the market is frenzied again? If the numbers are down.... :blink:

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Just tell me will ya, I am too fricken stupid to work it out, alright!

These are the historical CML estimates grossed up from the product sales data (as reported in the linked articles) and the BoE approval data for the same months. Usually the BoE numbers are the ones to use, but it’s interesting that CML and BoE numbers have slightly drifted apart. :unsure:

2005 CML BoE/nsa BoE/saJan   61	51	82Feb   62	74	86Mar   73   104	92Apr   81   110	94May   86   108	96Jun  100   116	96Jul   95   106	98Aug   96   108   105Sep   92   108   106Oct   87   108   110Nov   92   114   113Dec   93	89   1192006 CML BoE/nsa BoE/saJan   70	78   119Feb   71	97   113Mar   93   143   115Apr   85   109   107May   96   138   118Jun  110   147   120Jul   95   126   121Aug  101   126   120Sep   88   126   126

HOLA4423
HOLA4424

It looks like the CML “loans for house purchase” run at about 80% of the BoE/nsa and tracks quite well although with a bit of variation – the difference in September is that the BoE nsa has stayed flat while the CML has dropped sharpish. Maybe the BoE will revise it down in October.

But given that the two track quite well, the HPI correlation can be equally be applied to the CML data with the neutral level set at very roughly 80% of the BoE *but* you would have to seasonally adjust it first, so it’s probably easier just to wait for the BoE sa number. I’m not sure about the CML methodology – it seems to involve scaling up a smaller sample to reflect a larger market.

Edited by spline

HOLA4425

The number of people taking out a new home loan to buy a property also fell in September, down to 88,000 from August's figure of 101,000.

I nearly missed this. The slowdown is starting...

Now, where is this on the BBC? I wonder if they mention the BoE figures... When do they come out?