House Price Crash Forum

Land Registry Sales Data - Not Always Recorded?

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

i would have thought all title deed changes would have to be made through the land registry...every house i know (sold/transferred) of has appeared in the land registry.

It wouldnt be a good case to take to court if you bought a house and didnt appear in land registry.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Been waiting for one to show up from September last year - STILL DOES NOT EXIST!!!

Corruption??? Probably... dont trust anything about this government - dont even deserve a capital 'g' in government!!!

Is the a contact address for the land registry? If so, what would happen if you contacted them and asked why this property has not appeared even though you believe that it was sold.

Is the owner of a house a matter of public record? If so, how do you find out who owns a house? Could this be used to verify that the ownership has changed hands, but that the price has not turned up on the land registry?

Billy Shears

HOLA448

Is the a contact address for the land registry? If so, what would happen if you contacted them and asked why this property has not appeared even though you believe that it was sold.

Is the owner of a house a matter of public record? If so, how do you find out who owns a house? Could this be used to verify that the ownership has changed hands, but that the price has not turned up on the land registry?

Billy Shears

As far as I know, sales involving a company (buying or selling) are not made public. Possibly some landlords operate as a Ltd Company for tax/legal reasons?

HOLA449
HOLA4410

As far as I know, sales involving a company (buying or selling) are not made public. Possibly some landlords operate as a Ltd Company for tax/legal reasons?

I've submitted the enquiry below on the www.landregistry.go.uk website

"Dear Sir / Madam

I would like to enquire if there are any circumstances under which property house sales and prices paid are not recorded in the Land Regsitry data for sales after 2000?

Are property purchases by Limited Companies available on the public record?"

It says I should get a response back within 5 working days, so I'll let you know how it goes.

cbs7

HOLA4411

Been waiting for one to show up from September last year - STILL DOES NOT EXIST!!!

Corruption??? Probably... dont trust anything about this government - dont even deserve a capital 'g' in government!!!

TB

is land registry a public service?

could "they" control input to the register?

could they cut back staffing levels and shift the offices to different locations so that a backlog of sold prices would hide the true figures?

or am i becoming paranoid?

ellen

HOLA4412

I do know of two houses sold in the past year by Ltd companies to private individuals which do appear on Nethouseprices, Ourproperty etc, so this doesn't appear to be the case.

What can happen is that if someone wishes to buy a property from a Ltd company, they simply buy all the shares in the company instead. The Stamp Duty on buying the shares of a company which happens to own a property can be considerably less than the Stamp Duty Land Tax on actually buying the property itself. Where this occurs the property hasn't actually been sold, so it won't show as a sale with the Land Registry

Hence the reason factory units on new trading estates are sometimes sold ready packaged within their own Ltd Companies by the property developer - huge amounts of SDLT can be avoided.

Edited by Neil D Possitt

HOLA4413

I sold and bought my current house in May 2005 and neither prices are showing on LR.

Its a real shame because no one can see that house prices did actually drop in our road. In Dec 2004 houses were 155k for terrace, I bought semi for 151K in May 2005, in May 2006 semi sold identical to mine with asking price of 169K (waiting to see selling price). What is going on!!!

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I started a similar thread to this about a year ago. My old rented flat didn't appear in LR data, even though i know it was sold to our LL just before we moved in. It's still not in there and i've come across this question on here a few times since, never heard a good explanation yet :)

I'm interested to see what the LR say in response to the query. Could it be something to do with leasehold some of the time - it is the LAND registry after all. I've no idea, but i really would like to know.

Just doing some research but not found anything specific to this, but i did find this little gem - http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk.legal/...36fec66e8300f17

I have rented out a house for a number of years through a property agency.

To date this has been without problems until now. A previous tenant applied

to the Land Registry to register an interest in the property on the grounds

he help renovate it, he just decorated one room after requesting permission.

I only found out because I had to visit the property to fix a leaking

radiator for the current tenant and picked up the mail there. The letter

from the Land Registry gives me two weeks to challenge this from the date of

the letter so I now have till next Tuesday or the interest will be

registered. The Land Registry have been amazingly unhelpful, they will not

give me more time and say that the procedure is correct, anybody can

register an interest in any property and the register owner only has two

weeks to complain. This guy was probably hoping the letter would sit in the

stack of mail from previous tenants and not be found and I would only find

out when I decided to sell, he could then "squat" and cause problems with

the sale until I paid him to go away. Has this happened to other people, the

Land Registry are no help. What is the worst that can happen if the succeed

in registering an interest.How can I stop it from happening. This seems like

a perfect scam to me especially against landlords of rented property.

HOLA4416

I've submitted the enquiry below on the www.landregistry.go.uk website

"Dear Sir / Madam

I would like to enquire if there are any circumstances under which property house sales and prices paid are not recorded in the Land Regsitry data for sales after 2000?

Are property purchases by Limited Companies available on the public record?"

It says I should get a response back within 5 working days, so I'll let you know how it goes.

cbs7

Good question, CBS7.

Let me know.

Depending on the answer, it may be time to actually flex our muscle and get an MP to table a question in parliament.

HOLA4417

I got a reply back today

"for the information you require, please obtain Practice Guide 7 available to download free of charge from our website at www.landregistry.gov.uk click on the tab for forms and publications and select leaflets."

The document is here http://www.landregistry.gov.uk/assets/libr...nts/lrpg007.pdf

Not had a chance to read it properly yet. I've skimmed it and it seems a bit vague implying that price data isn't recorded if there if it is considered inaccurate in some way... I'm sure the conspiracy theorists will have a lot to say about that one!! :o

HOLA4418