Yorkshire Prices

IMupNorth

HOLA441
  • Replies 636
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

Don't like to say this but my friend put her 2 bed terrace up for sale for £185k the other week. She got offered £180k by the first person who viewed. This is the highest acheived price for the road.. Also noticed that some houses ( good stock only ), is selling within the week...

Seems highly favourable, good location stock is selling well but all the other stock is just sitting there... EA told us house prices due to go up 4% here next year.!

Well this is the spin they are telling us..

Getting slightly depressed again..

On a positive note we have found a new rental property in the location we want so moving in 2 weeks..looks like could be renting for quite a while yet.!!

HOLA443
Hi Yorkshire Lass, Im from Halifax so not too far away. I think the EAs around our area are just taking a lucky guess at pricing properties (bet they have a tombola in the office!), keep an eye on the one you mentioned to see if it sells, I have seen two houses for sale of identical size next door to each other both look about the same in terms of condition etc, one is up at £89k and the other at £120K were is the logic in that?!! I have also noticed alot of houses going on the market with more than one EA, is this a sign of desperate times?

Is this a sign of desperate times? I hope I don't sound nasty, but I hope so!

I've just been reading the property section from the Huddersfield Examiner and quite a few properties have been reduced in price, which is good to see. What amazes me is the number of new properties on the market.

I don't think the house on my street has had much interest, me or my family have certainly not seen anyone been shown around. For me to buy that house, I would need to borrow x 6.5 my salary!

Lets see what the next few months bring, it's going to be very interesting to watch.

HOLA444

I think people seem to keep daydreaming. Here in Halifax where I live property is moving again and we do not have any glut of houses on the market. There are a few houses that have been on sale for a while but they are the exception and not the norm.

I was looking through the 'Evening Courier' our local paper and the housing section does not suggest any serious movement downwards. Yes I agree that the price advertised and price sold are 2 different things but the asking price has not changed fundemenatlly from last years prices - infact they have gone up.

Just wait and see prices will stay stable helped by the reassurance that interest rates will not rise in the foreseeable future and may infact come down.

There will not be a crash - at all. All we have had is soft landing.

HOLA445
I think people seem to keep daydreaming. Here in Halifax where I live property is moving again and we do not have any glut of houses on the market. There are a few houses that have been on sale for a while but they are the exception and not the norm.

I was looking through the 'Evening Courier' our local paper and the housing section does not suggest any serious movement downwards. Yes I agree that the price advertised and price sold are 2 different things but the asking price has not changed fundemenatlly  from last years prices - infact they have gone up.

Just wait and see prices will stay stable helped by the reassurance that interest rates will not rise in the foreseeable future and may infact come down.

now who's daydreaming ? :blink:

HOLA446
Don't like to say this but my friend put her 2 bed terrace up for sale for £185k the other week.  She got offered £180k by the first person who viewed.  This is the highest acheived price for the road.. Also noticed that some houses ( good stock only ), is selling within the week...

Seems highly favourable, good location stock is selling well but all the other stock is just sitting there... EA told us house prices due to go up 4% here next year.!

Well this is the spin they are telling us..

Getting slightly depressed again..

On a positive note we have found a new rental property in the location we want so moving in 2 weeks..looks like could be renting for quite a while yet.!!

Hi Lou

Not sure whic EA it was or where they invented their numbers from but hope this cheers you up a little.

Also remember that Hgte was one of the last places to fall last time, but it did!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ml/county65.stm

Edited by the end is nigh

HOLA447
Hi Lou

Not sure whic EA it was or where they invented their numbers from but hope this cheers you up a little.

Also remember that Hgte was one of the last places to fall last time, but it did!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/in_d...ml/county65.stm

I would expect Harrogate to be somewhat sticky on the way down. It's still, IMO, a good place to live in North Yorkshire. Good properties in good areas will always sell, but the place I used live in has dropped 15% and still not a whiff of a buyer after almost two years on the market!

HOLA448

I was looking through the 'Evening Courier' our local paper and the housing section does not suggest any serious movement downwards. Yes I agree that the price advertised and price sold are 2 different things but the asking price has not changed fundemenatlly  from last years prices - infact they have gone up.

Akhtus my take on the property market in the Halifax area is that the higher priced properties are not shifting but they are still selling at the lower end. It is only a matter of time before price reductions begin to filter downwards..I would have to disagree with the statement that there isn't a 'glut of houses' on the market. Everytime i look at rightmove, the number of pages of properties available just keeps growing and growing...

HOLA449

Eddisons have a big, big auction tomorrow (30th June) in Leeds with 124 properties going on the block!

https://www.spiralsecure.co.uk/eddisonssecu...tions/catalogue

They are mainly Yorkshire properties and includes quite a few repo's which are now starting to feed through onto the auction market.

Though much of what's for sale could be considered 'tat' there are, amongst the lots, two nice semi's in decent areas (Leeds17 and Chester) both which look interesting and also several BTL properties with possible yields around 10%

Edited by 737

HOLA4410

Skipton, Ilkley, Keighley triangle......more and more new properties coming onto the market. Also seeing lot of properties which for months had SSTC stickers on them, now up for open sale again.

Rising numbers of properties coming onto the market, along with collapsing agreed sales speaks volumes to me, but you can make of it what you will.

Edited by Catch22

HOLA4411
Eddisons have a big, big auction tomorrow (30th June) in Leeds with 124 properties going on the block!

https://www.spiralsecure.co.uk/eddisonssecu...tions/catalogue

They are mainly Yorkshire properties and includes quite a few repo's which are now starting to feed through onto the auction market.

Though much of what's for sale could be considered 'tat'  there are, amongst the lots, two nice semi's in decent areas (Leeds17 and Chester) both which look interesting and also several BTL properties with possible yields around 10%

32 (25%) of properties failed to reach their reserve

The rest either sold before or sold for around 10% above their guide price.

Overall I'd imagine vendors and auctioneers will be quite satisfied.

Locally in Holmfirth I can't see the higher end properties moving but 2 'doer uppers' around the £160k mark went within days (if not hours). Seems that if they are priced properly below £200k they sell, above that and it's hard work to move them.

Edited by 737

HOLA4412

House came up in Harrogate this week, semi on the saints area at £275 and has got three offers in a week on it.!!. Detached house in burn bridge at 325k sold in the day for asking price. I think these are around 2004 prices so selling and in good locations but anything priced at 05 levels is not shifting and poor stock is sticking..

HOLA4413
House came up in Harrogate this week, semi on the saints area at £275 and has got three offers in a week on it.!!. Detached house in burn bridge at 325k sold in the day for asking price.  I think these are around 2004 prices so selling and in good locations but anything priced at 05 levels is not shifting and poor stock is sticking..

They are a lot cheaper than they have been - nearer 2002 prices

B&C have over 270 properties on their website - it was 216 a month ago!

Edited by the end is nigh

HOLA4414

Spoke to somebody who has just sold their house. The agent told them they would have got an extra 10k if they had sold summer 04..!! They might go into rented as they know an estate agent who currently has their own house for sale and is planning to go into rented.! Also spoke to a local agent who said some competitors were pricing some property 100k above their valuation.!! You might be able to guess, saying no names.!!! Also noticed a house in the paper this weekend, advertised at 345k but came on a couple of weeks ago at 395k. Quick reduction as must have way overpriced by one of the more expensive estate agents.....

With a market like this can you imagine what would happen if interest rates went up......

HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Morning all :) anyone read the Moneyweek article posted on the front yesterday? these choice quotes at beginning v interesting re newbuilds which we have all seen a lot of in Yorkshire:

'' I’m bearish at the moment. I think the market will get a shock in the autumn when all those buy-to-let investors who committed to buy new-build flats two years ago, when interest rates were at their lowest, have to complete on them. That’s in the six months from this summer to early next year. With rates where they are now, 30% of them, at least of the ones I know, are finding it impossible to sort out funding. With rates higher than they were and rental returns lower, no one will lend them the money, so they can’t pay for the flats.

: Particularly in a lot of the northern cities. When returns in London cooled off a few years ago, people went north and expected the high rental returns they saw there initially to be sustainable, but they haven’t been. There’s now an over-supply of very similar apartments. Developers have been building for

investors and investment clubs, rather than for people who are buying property to actually live in. That puts us in uncharted territory.

The worst hit are going to be people who’ve bought uncompleted flats via property-promotion companies at seminars and now can’t sell them. They’re going to be providing lots of miserable case studies to the papers pretty soon. People seem to think that they don’t have to worry because the fact that you will be able to buy a property via a self-invested personal pension (Sipp) will keep demand up. But the same dodgy people who have sold these buy-to-let flats to innocents in the last few years are getting on the Sipps bandwagon and over-hyping it. It won’t take long for everyone to realise that buying direct property investments through Sipps isn’t actually that exciting. If the change in regulations does anything, it will just give the market a small, temporary boost.''

HOLA4417
HOLA4418

To anyone affected by negative equity.

My name is Philip Whiteside. I am am a journalist looking at the issue of negative equity.

It is becoming clear that more and more people are becoming affected by the problem. In today's Daily Mail the BBC newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky is revealed to have sold her house for £10,000 less than she paid for it four years ago. Many of those who have been affected are people who have remortgaged their house so that the value of their mortgage is now more than the price of their house. Others bought just before prices started to fall.

If you have been affected by negative equity, I would be very pleased to hear from you. Initially the conversation would be off the record, so we can get a flavour of what is happening across the country. If you would feel able to talk, please contact me at philipiwhiteside@yahoo.com or on77** ******.

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
To anyone affected by negative equity.

My name is Philip Whiteside. I am am a journalist looking at the issue of negative equity.

It is becoming clear that more and more people are becoming affected by the problem. In today's Daily Mail the BBC newsreader Natasha Kaplinsky is revealed to have sold her house for £10,000 less than she paid for it four years ago. Many of those who have been affected are people who have remortgaged their house so that the value of their mortgage is now more than the price of their house. Others bought just before prices started to fall.

If you have been affected by negative equity, I would be very pleased to hear from you. Initially the conversation would be off the record, so we can get a flavour of what is happening across the country. If you would feel able to talk, please contact me at philipiwhiteside@yahoo.com or on77** ******.

I hear the PM has been affected... ;)

HOLA4422

Appears that there are two properties for auction on Street Lane, Leeds, just past the Co-op: two Eddisons signs have just gone up. They are listed as "tenanted maisonettes", lots 50 & 51. Never been known in my 10 years of living here.

https://www.spiralsecure.co.uk/eddisonssecu...ns/July2005.pdf

Also lots of "To Let" signs and the "sold" signs have been up for some time - ie. months. Property a little bit further to Roundhay Park had a sold sign up shortly after it came on the market. It is now back to "For Sale".

Most properties are up with Morfitt Shaw, who opened up during the boom. They offer sale at 0.5% commission. Wonder how well they are doing at the moment.

Edited by Take me to the cleaners

HOLA4423

House opposite me on the Headingley/Burley border, on the market for 190k, has been on market since March. No takers and I bet they have had no viewings. I do enjoy seeing them make small efforts to tidy the garden every weekend, knowing that they are making no difference at all to the saleability of the house! Feel like going over there and giving them some friendly advice! LOL. Friend has put her flat on market, 2 bed for 130k. She admits its 5k more than what the most expensive value came in at, me thinks thats why she has had only 1 viewing - from a BTL, who wouldn't make an offer, think she was probably round to suss the competition!

Nice to see at the top endish scale in headingley, the Becketts Park area has come down from peaks of around 250-300k for a three bedder to around an average of 210 - 220k. This is the area I would like to buy in if prices come down by 40%! Heres hoping! :)

HOLA4424
A house near me was sold last December for £55,000 and went back on the market a few weeks ago for £97,500 (no work at all has been done to the property). Hopefully this is an exception and house prices in general will continue to fall.

Just to follow up from this post. There's been open viewing on this property between 2-4pm today. Although i've not been glued to my window, i've not seen anyone coming and going. It will be interesting to see if the price will be reduced in the next couple of weeks.

PS I got it wrong originally, there has been some work done to the house. A new fitted kitchen I think.

HOLA4425
Just to follow up from this post. There's been open viewing on this property between 2-4pm today. Although i've not been glued to my window, i've not seen anyone coming and going. It will be interesting to see if the price will be reduced in the next couple of weeks.

PS I got it wrong originally, there has been some work done to the house. A new fitted kitchen I think.

Do you have a link to it on the web anywhere? I'd love to see this 25K kitchen, must really be something!