House Price Crash Forum

Who should pay for AML check

HOLA441

I have made an offer for a property and the EA wants an AML check done and wants to charge £40 is this correct 

HOLA442
HOLA443
8 minutes ago, Sackboii said:

Are you buying with mad crypto gainz ?

I have never purchased crypto

HOLA444
4 hours ago, shlomo said:

I have made an offer for a property and the EA wants an AML check done and wants to charge £40 is this correct 

It’s a new make money for nothing scheme. I’d ask if they want your business or not. That may focus them a touch. 

HOLA445
HOLA446
7 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Isn't it up to your solicitor to decide whether checks are necessary?

Can you expand on this

HOLA447
27 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Can you expand on this

I believe that it's the responsibility of the conveyancing solicitor to sign off the funds being used. If they know you and are satisfied that there is no money laundering then checks may not be necessary.

HOLA448
1 minute ago, Bruce Banner said:

I believe that it's the responsibility of the conveyancing solicitor to sign off the funds being used. If they know you and are satisfied that there is no money laundering then checks may not be necessary.

So this is not the remit of the EA

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
13 hours ago, shlomo said:

Smile and wave, smile and wave.

Which is to say - stump up and don't wave a red flag around.

HOLA4412
11 minutes ago, Timm said:

Smile and wave, smile and wave.

Which is to say - stump up and don't wave a red flag around.

We are one family buying one house so no red flag, the EA looks dodgy and the company they have recommended have significant red flags in that they sign you up for a £7.99 per month deal that you cannot get out of unless you tell the bank to cancel 

The Google reviews say even if you say no they still sign you up for a monthly d/d

the company is called ‘lifetime legal’

HOLA4413
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

I said this to the EA he was not flexible I said I did not want to proceed with the sale, and after thinking of the loss of £8400 commission he backed down and said would accept passport pictures with council tax with address on

thanks your knowledge helped 

Edited by shlomo
I cannot work out percentages

HOLA4414
17 minutes ago, shlomo said:

I said this to the EA he was not flexible I said I did not want to proceed with the sale, and after thinking of the loss of £84k commission he backed down and said would accept passport pictures with council tax with address on

thanks your knowledge helped 

haha

crazy

HOLA4415
16 hours ago, shlomo said:

As one responder has noted this looks like another income sceme for agents. Numbers will start low and creep up. Background checks for renting were the same. Before HMG knocked that on the head, I had to pay the agent circa £400 for the pleasure. 

https://www.estateagenttoday.co.uk/breaking-news/2023/2/reader-poll-do-you-charge-for-aml-checks

HOLA4416

If you use the solicitor recommend by EA he'll have big kick back.

Was less than half price using on-line conveyancer and was more flexible and prompt.

Ask the EA what commision they get from added services.

Edited by wighty

HOLA4417
58 minutes ago, wighty said:

If you use the solicitor recommend by EA he'll have big kick back.

Was less than half price using on-line conveyancer and was more flexible and prompt.

Ask the EA what commision they get from added services.

The EA said that in the conversation that they have a solicitor that they can recommend, I am too old to fall for that one