House Price Crash Forum

The "investment" habits of boomers and pre boomers.

Si1

HOLA441

Reads like a comedy list. They've got so much money to burn and so little critical thinking to apply to it. Here's my anecdotal list so far:

- McCarthy and Stone retirement flats.

- Fixed rate cash ISAs. Count em.

- Lottery tickets (bought in minimum denominations of 10 and described as an investment for their grandchildren)

- crypto. That's the latest thing.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
8 minutes ago, Gbob said:

You forgot premium bonds. Granny loves those.

Oh and gold 'collectors' coins for about 200% over spot value.

I love them too. I've got the maximum in there. Terrible investment though. 

Oh look, I've won £250. Oh look a nice bottle of whisky for £250. 

I guess would make sense if you have something like £40K in there and just reinvested the proceeds. 

Each month I get a fairly reliable win of, on average, £170 so far. Plus, there's a chance you could scoop £5k or even £1M (all but certainly not going to happen). 

Tax free though and a great, safe, place to chuck some spare cash if you need to keep it to hand. 

The gold coins are for mugs though. 

HOLA446
5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Why do people boast about having a BTL as if it was something to be proud about?......would keep it quiet, people not doing a lot, making from others hard work or from other tax payers.;)

I am with you on this Winkie.  We will know our society has recovered from its sickness when BTL owners are ashamed of themselves, of the cut they are taking of other peoples hard earned cash, and of the misery and lack of stability they have caused to families who cannot afford a family home.   

HOLA447
15 hours ago, 14stFlyer said:

I am with you on this Winkie.  We will know our society has recovered from its sickness when BTL owners are ashamed of themselves, of the cut they are taking of other peoples hard earned cash, and of the misery and lack of stability they have caused to families who cannot afford a family home.   

It is possible for all to have enough, but that is not the world we live in unfortunately......nothing will change will only get worse.;)

HOLA448
16 hours ago, Unmoderated said:

I love them too. I've got the maximum in there. Terrible investment though. 

Oh look, I've won £250. Oh look a nice bottle of whisky for £250. 

I guess would make sense if you have something like £40K in there and just reinvested the proceeds. 

Each month I get a fairly reliable win of, on average, £170 so far. Plus, there's a chance you could scoop £5k or even £1M (all but certainly not going to happen). 

Tax free though and a great, safe, place to chuck some spare cash if you need to keep it to hand. 

The gold coins are for mugs though. 

My wife and I keep the maximum in premium bonds and put the monthly winnings into an instant access savings account, the only instant access account we have other than our premium bonds, to go towards the next year's ISA allowances.

ISAs are good too. each year we can transfer £20k each from tax paying accounts into non tax paying ISA accounts.

Why do some posters delight in taking the piss out of us oldies for doing what oldies have done for generations, and that is seeking low risk homes for our hard earned, albeit some years ago, money?  

HOLA449
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

My wife and I keep the maximum in premium bonds and put the monthly winnings into an instant access savings account, the only instant access account we have other than our premium bonds, to go towards the next year's ISA allowances.

ISAs are good too. each year we can transfer £20k each from tax paying accounts into non tax paying ISA accounts.

Why do some posters delight in taking the piss out of us oldies for doing what oldies have done for generations, and that is seeking low risk homes for our hard earned, albeit some years ago, money?  

I'm an oldie at heart. I'm going to make an excellent retiree when I get there :D

And... right on cue. £200 won today. It's a nice bit of fun and tax free. I guess the only issue I have is it's not a reliable return and I would prefer they scrapped the million prizes and gave more £10K... for a £50K investment a £10K return is ample... then again..... you never know!

HOLA4410
2 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

That's fine, but there really is some random cr#p too.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
On 1/2/2024 at 4:19 PM, Gbob said:

You forgot premium bonds. Granny loves those.

Oh and gold 'collectors' coins for about 200% over spot value.

Genuine question - where can you get gold coins close to spot price? Places I've looked seem to have a hefty margin applied.

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Professional renting companies provide an essential service. What we see are BTL's outbidding young people with limited funds and then dumping the cost of servicing their debt on the renter. Many lack know how, ethics or the means to provide a decent service. Parasites should not brag. 

On 1/2/2024 at 4:28 PM, winkie said:

Why do people boast about having a BTL as if it was something to be proud about?......would keep it quiet, people not doing a lot, making from others hard work or from other tax payers.;)

On 1/2/2024 at 4:34 PM, 14stFlyer said:

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

Cash too. I know not an investment especially in this day and age with inflation 😂 but generations of old would have little stashes of coins and banknotes around the house. Not so common now I’d say but could be wrong. Itz all digital theez dayz

HOLA4417
On 06/02/2024 at 23:39, Data Dave said:

Cash too. I know not an investment especially in this day and age with inflation 😂 but generations of old would have little stashes of coins and banknotes around the house. Not so common now I’d say but could be wrong. Itz all digital theez dayz

I read somewhere recently that a characteristic of older generations is extremely conservative saving habits that have translated into the same into old age. This worked well for them in their working lives when cash returns were generous and real estate was cheap. But it's a disaster now as (1) cash returns these last few decades have been awful and (2) their own children have been desperately short of cash for house deposits in a much much more difficult housing market.