House Price Crash Forum

Small boats - A hill to die on.

Bruce Banner

HOLA441

Watching Oliver Dowden (what a smarmy toad he is) on TV this morning, it is clear that the "Tories" are making the issue of small boats crossing the channel into a hill to die on.

I find myself cheering every boat that arrives. 

Let the "Tories" die on their chosen hill sooner rather than later.

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

Spoken like a true hard line Brexiteer.

There is a Brexit thread.

"At the end of 2021, approximately 193 million people experienced acute hunger. That 828 million isn't the largest figure for world hunger: The FAO estimates that there are 2.3 billion people facing less extreme, but still dangerous, levels of food insecurity."

UK money and influence to improve things for people elsewhere makes sense. Accelerated growth of the UK population through immigration does not. Those able to immigrate are generally not in the ones in greatest need.

HOLA445
15 minutes ago, 70PC said:

There is a Brexit thread.

Indeed there is, but this one is about the "Tory" government making small boat refugees their main political enemy. 

This morning, Oliver Dowden made a big fuss about Gary Lineker's 1930s Germany tweet. A few minutes later, Lisa Nandy quietly explained why Lineker's tweet was quite correct.

The "Tories" continue to seek support from a certain segment of the population. 

HOLA446
2 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Indeed there is, but this one is about the "Tory" government making small boat refugees their main political enemy. 

This morning, Oliver Dowden made a big fuss about Gary Lineker's 1930s Germany tweet. A few minutes later, Lisa Nandy quietly explained why Lineker's tweet was quite correct.

The "Tories" continue to seek support from a certain segment of the population. 

Nah, this is nonsense. Immigrant channel crossings are a big issue for lots of reasons but this should not be a lever, irrespective of where you sit on the political spectrum. Gary Lineker spoke his mind. I don't agree with him but I object to the way the BBC responded. People need to be able to say what they feel.

HOLA447
2 minutes ago, 70PC said:

Nah, this is nonsense. Immigrant channel crossings are a big issue for lots of reasons but this should not be a lever, irrespective of where you sit on the political spectrum. Gary Lineker spoke his mind. I don't agree with him but I object to the way the BBC responded. People need to be able to say what they feel.

Indeed it shouldn't but the "Tories" are pulling that lever as if their lives depend on it. As for Lineker, Dowden brought the subject up this morning, presumably he sought a political advantage. 

HOLA448
12 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Indeed it shouldn't but the "Tories" are pulling that lever as if their lives depend on it. As for Lineker, Dowden brought the subject up this morning, presumably he sought a political advantage. 

Fair enough but two wrongs don't make a right.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
9 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Watching Oliver Dowden (what a smarmy toad he is) on TV this morning, it is clear that the "Tories" are making the issue of small boats crossing the channel into a hill to die on.

At very best it’s a malignant bread and circuses - at worst they’ve caused the crisis through shutting down legal routes.  Or maybe both.

I saw Dowden try to slither this across the line too. It’s logically demented but I’ve listened to the sheeple over the last few weeks and they’re parroting the idea immigrants have ruined public services rather than Tories.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
3 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

It's always right to point out something that is wrong.

Indeed, such as your dogmatic opinion about the Tories, and Linekar's ignorant attempt at tarring with the same brush (which appeals to the simple-minded one side or the other, everything not 100% in line with my view is the equivalent of the worst drivel that's infest the modern world).

The "treat them all as 100% illegal" line was wrong. The ridiculous opposite extreme is also wrong. I've nothing but contempt for the simple-minded who latch on to either to the exclusion of all actual thought.

Edited by Riedquat

HOLA4414
34 minutes ago, Riedquat said:

Indeed, such as your dogmatic opinion about the Tories, and Linekar's ignorant attempt at tarring with the same brush (which appeals to the simple-minded one side or the other, everything not 100% in line with my view is the equivalent of the worst drivel that's infest the modern world).

The "treat them all as 100% illegal" line was wrong. The ridiculous opposite extreme is also wrong. I've nothing but contempt for the simple-minded who latch on to either to the exclusion of all actual thought.

I voted Conservative for over 50 years, and actively supported them, up until Cameron reneged on his manifesto promises and from then on the party has gone from bad to worse. I will not vote Conservative again until every member of the BJ government is consigned to the history books.

As for Lineker, he was spot on with his tweet. His tweet, not the "Tory" interpretation of it.

HOLA4415
12 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

I voted Conservative for over 50 years, and actively supported them, up until Cameron reneged on his manifesto promises and from then on the party has gone from bad to worse. I will not vote Conservative again until every member of the BJ government is consigned to the history books.

As for Lineker, he was spot on with his tweet. His tweet, not the "Tory" interpretation of it.

The flip side is far more worrying - that a government could go down this path and nobody says anything. People in the 1930s didn’t even have hindsight and I still can’t help feeling critical of how it got out of hand.

The government attempting to throttle public service broadcasting while Braverman goes on a tax payer funded, stage managed jolly with select press does nothing to dispell the criticism.

HOLA4416
4 hours ago, pig said:

The flip side is far more worrying - that a government could go down this path and nobody says anything. People in the 1930s didn’t even have hindsight and I still can’t help feeling critical of how it got out of hand.

The government attempting to throttle public service broadcasting while Braverman goes on a tax payer funded, stage managed jolly with select press does nothing to dispell the criticism.

Soviets too, and Ghaddafi's Libya, Putin's Russia, North Korea, Belarus, Moldova etc.

State propaganda is a powerful tool.

Didn't expect it to happen here.

We live in dangerous times.

HOLA4417
7 hours ago, Bruce Banner said:

Soviets too, and Ghaddafi's Libya, Putin's Russia, North Korea, Belarus, Moldova etc.

State propaganda is a powerful tool.

Didn't expect it to happen here.

We live in dangerous times.

They are just pushing easy buttons amongst the dafty wing to shut them up / keep them loyal.

The Tories are like the Republicans in US, they want shot of a toxic former leader and his legacy, but can't risk losing the crazy gang & voters who feel they are the messiah

HOLA4418
On 3/19/2023 at 8:53 AM, Bruce Banner said:

The tories aren't going to stop the boats, they aren't capable, so they have made a rod for their own back. As the fall out from these boats arriving affects more and more people, they will be looking for a party which they believe can stop the boats/return illegal immigrants. And that party isn't labour, so the build up to the next election could be very interesting.

HOLA4419
On 20/03/2023 at 08:16, Staffsknot said:

They are just pushing easy buttons amongst the dafty wing to shut them up / keep them loyal.

The Tories are like the Republicans in US, they want shot of a toxic former leader and his legacy, but can't risk losing the crazy gang & voters who feel they are the messiah

You could be right...

The rise of the authoritarians continues :(.

lcimg-1dd22f95-a9cc-4cf5-8c7b-156514b0b0

lcimg-46e9c730-9ce5-40c7-bfb5-3cbc5961b1

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423