House Price Crash Forum

Eviction ban: A million are in fear of losing their homes, charity says

HOLA441

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-57262181

As England's coronavirus eviction ban comes to an end on Monday, around a million households fear losing their homes, a charity says.

About 400,000 renters have had eviction notices or been told to expect them, the Joseph Rowntree Foundation says.

One renter in arrears told the BBC his landlord has "the power to just flick their finger and get me out".

But a landlord said she had struggled to pay her mortgage while her tenant was not paying rent.

The government said it was balancing the needs of landlords to use the courts with support for tenants by continuing to require extended notice periods.

During the pandemic, bailiffs were asked not to carry out evictions if anyone living in the property had Covid-19 symptoms or was self-isolating.

Eviction notice periods were extended to six months as an emergency measure during the pandemic - but will drop to four months from 1 June. Before the pandemic, notice periods were usually two months in England.

Joseph Rowntree Foundation economist Rachelle Earwaker said many renters in low income work such as catering or taxi driving had lost their livelihoods in the pandemic and ending the eviction ban risks "a two-tier recovery".

"We're really worried that there will be a wave of homelessness coming through," said Ms Earwaker.

The charity commissioned YouGov to question more than 10,000 adults, a quarter of them renters, in England, Wales and Scotland, early in May.

The findings suggest that, compared with homeowners, renters are more than three times as likely to be behind with rent or bills (6% vs 19%).

They were also twice as likely to worry about:

• meeting their housing costs (10% vs 20%)
  • and losing their homes within three months (5% vs 11%)
  • _118721881_evictionsrudolf.jpg

It is stressful and it's affecting my health and it gives a lot of sleepless nights," he says.

"I just don't know when I'm going to wake up to the dreadful message, saying that this is your notice because of the rent arrears.

"So far the ban on eviction was my safety net for me not ending up on the streets."

The owner

Candy Richards has been trying evict a tenant she says stopped paying his rent in October 2019, well before the pandemic.

Despite being in work he now owes her more than £10,000 and the eviction ban means she's "been powerless to do anything to get my property back."

HOLA442

Candy Richards has been trying to evict a tenant who has not paid any rent since October 2019

_118698143_evictioncandy.jpg

Edited by shlomo

HOLA443
3 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Candy Richards has been trying evict a tenant she says stopped paying his rent in October 2019, well before the pandemic.

Despite being in work he now owes her more than £10,000 and the eviction ban means she's "been powerless to do anything to get my property back."

I'm pretty sure I have seen a picture of a nano-violin imaged at an atomic scale a few years or even decades back. I can only find a guitar though.

nanogtr.GIF

HOLA444
Just now, Huggy said:

I'm pretty sure I have seen a picture of a nano-violin imaged at an atomic scale a few years or even decades back. I can only find a guitar though.

nanogtr.GIF

Off topic but I wonder if Candy was hot 20 years ago

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 minute ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Like BTL you mean ?

She looks like a bit of a goer in her youth

HOLA447
26 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Off topic but I wonder if Candy was hot 20 years ago

8 minutes ago, shlomo said:

She looks like a bit of a goer in her youth

She's actually 23. That's what happens when you lose with bricks n mortar.

HOLA448
3 minutes ago, Huggy said:

She's actually 23. That's what happens when you lose with bricks n mortar.

You think not receiving rent for nearly 3 years has made her look 45

HOLA449
HOLA4410

With both side bleating for cash the only solution is a fast track mediation service.

Pay when you can and agree the loss you can handle and get it sorted in a few hours with a decision.

If not then courts

No more bailouts.... but there will be for landlords masked as for the benefit or renters most likely.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414