House Price Crash Forum

HOLA441
9 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Glad to hear it.  Did you get a proportional uplift in donations ?

Sadly not from the new users although the post on here really helped. I reckon 75% of Property Log donations are users from this site as it's the same names every month. Thank you again to those on here who donate, it helps massively!

I'm just a poor guy living in a sh*tty rental which I could never afford to buy trying to make ends meet in a dead end job. These donations mean I don't have to worry about the server costs each month which is a weight off my mind so thank you all.

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
3 hours ago, GettingBored said:

Thank you moonriver, it's very much appreciated.

This thread has gone very off topic since my last visit...! Anyway, just a quick update... Property Log has seen a 20% increase in usage over the last week. Getting lots of referrals from podcasts, blogs etc so it looks like word is getting out.

That sounds good news.

It does not surprise me that most of the donations look like they come from this forum, because we are (supposedly) all here for the same cause and that is just to get a roof over our heads for a fair price.

I hope that one day you can get away from that rental.

Maybe you could work out a method of charging users when you have built up enough data? I guess a lot of people are so tight, they won't pay even a small amount for things though? Rememberthe fuss when the 5p carrier bag thing was bought in? 😃

HOLA443
3 hours ago, GettingBored said:

Sadly not from the new users although the post on here really helped. I reckon 75% of Property Log donations are users from this site as it's the same names every month. Thank you again to those on here who donate, it helps massively!

I'm just a poor guy living in a sh*tty rental which I could never afford to buy trying to make ends meet in a dead end job. These donations mean I don't have to worry about the server costs each month which is a weight off my mind so thank you all.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

HOLA444
19 hours ago, moonriver said:

That sounds good news.

It does not surprise me that most of the donations look like they come from this forum, because we are (supposedly) all here for the same cause and that is just to get a roof over our heads for a fair price.

I hope that one day you can get away from that rental.

Maybe you could work out a method of charging users when you have built up enough data? I guess a lot of people are so tight, they won't pay even a small amount for things though? Rememberthe fuss when the 5p carrier bag thing was bought in? 😃

Thank you moonriver :)

I am planning on releasing some extra features/tools in the future that may be of use to some users, I'll probably charge for those and give my regular donors free access. Hoping to start work on this soon, just need to find the time!

HOLA445
HOLA446
1 hour ago, GettingBored said:

Thank you moonriver :)

I am planning on releasing some extra features/tools in the future that may be of use to some users, I'll probably charge for those and give my regular donors free access. Hoping to start work on this soon, just need to find the time!

Good luck with your work on those new extra features/tools.

I also wish you luck in getting away from that dead-end job. You are obviously intelligent and creative, so deserve more than that.

HOLA447
On 17/02/2021 at 15:11, GettingBored said:

Bump!

C'mon HPC users, support the effort and time spent providing this data from which many benefit.  Thanks again, @GettingBored

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
1 hour ago, Roman Roady said:

@GettingBored is there a problem with Property Log ATM? Its stopped working for me on chromium...I have deleted and re-installed...no good. Also downloaded Chrome but cannot find it in the extensions.

16 minutes ago, moonriver said:

Yes, not currently working.

Wonder if Rightmove have worked out a way to block it? Hope not.

Apologies everyone, Property Log was down for a few hours. Completely my fault, I had to make some changes on the server and I broke it...

Long story short, I am having some issues at the moment with someone in the Philippines hammering the API and I'm therefore having to block them multiple times per day, this is being done at server level. Getting really tiresome...!

Edited by GettingBored

HOLA4411
3 minutes ago, GettingBored said:

Apologies everyone, Property Log was down for a few hours. Completely my fault, I had to make some changes on the server and I broke it...

Long story short, I am having some issues at the moment with someone in the Philippines hammering the API and I'm therefore having to block them multiple times per day, this is being done at server level. Getting really tiresome...!

Dear esteemed fellow poster...no problems whatsoever, no apologies needed. I just wanted to let you know.

I enjoy the fruits of your efforts on this so I would like to contribute again...what are the details?

HOLA4412
2 minutes ago, Roman Roady said:

Dear esteemed fellow poster...no problems whatsoever, no apologies needed. I just wanted to let you know.

I enjoy the fruits of your efforts on this so I would like to contribute again...what are the details?

That's kind but you really don't have to Roman. If however I cannot persuade you not to then this is the link: https://www.propertylog.net/donate

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
7 minutes ago, GettingBored said:

Getting Bored, ...how annoying someone so far away has given you so many problems.

As Roman Ready says, there is, of course, no need to apologise, we are all so grateful for all the hard work you put into this.

I am pleased to see some more HPC'ers have donated towards your expenses in running this.

It is an incredible help to anyone looking to buy property.

HOLA4415

Update - March 1st 2021

Firstly, let me hit you with this:

rightmove_average_initial_asking_price_2

Average initial asking price for February 2021 is £359,570. That is a fall from the previous month of 1% and as you can see the trend is still down.

The number of new instructions is increasing too:

rightmove_new_instructions_2021_02.png

Obviously nowhere near last Feb and a tiny increase on last month but there are still over 100,000 new properties being added per month!

As for the less interesting stuff, Property Log now has over 33k users which is fantastic! I am currently working on a new "Pro" version of the extension which contains some great new features, hopefully I can share more in the coming weeks. I'm burning the midnight oil at the moment trying to develop it but am still unsure of when it will be ready.

Also, apologies for the downtime the other day, I am still kicking myself for it as it was 100% my fault. Property Log has been solid over the last couple of years (despite the odd change here and there to the layout on RM), I let myself down with that one!

I did promise some new charts, I am working on those and they should hopefully be ready soon.

I also want to say a big thank you to those who donate, the majority of donations come from users on this site and they really do help with paying for the servers.

HOLA4416

Good stuff GB, nice to see that graph going down.

I think all the noise/screaming mis-information from the MSM on the housing market bubble is because they know it's getting bad out there.

property Lion will produce an index by the end of the week.

HOLA4417

Getting Bored....hey, can we please have less of the beating yourself up. 😄

And as we've said before, no need to apologise.

You are doing an incredible job keeping this going single handed, don't know how you manage it.

That chart is certainly really interesting.

I have noticed in my search area, more properties coming to market and more reductions.

But one interesting thing I have noticed is, there is a sudden increase in new listings coming from those that "sold" months ago, eg July-September, but have obviously now fallen through. 

And most of these have increased their asking prices! Ridiculous when the  original sale at a lower price has fallen through. I expect these sellers have listened to MSM telling them prices have gone up. :rolleyes:

Most of these collapsed sales seem to be empty.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
41 minutes ago, moonriver said:

Getting Bored....hey, can we please have less of the beating yourself up. 😄

And as we've said before, no need to apologise.

You are doing an incredible job keeping this going single handed, don't know how you manage it.

That chart is certainly really interesting.

I have noticed in my search area, more properties coming to market and more reductions.

But one interesting thing I have noticed is, there is a sudden increase in new listings coming from those that "sold" months ago, eg July-September, but have obviously now fallen through. 

And most of these have increased their asking prices! Ridiculous when the  original sale at a lower price has fallen through. I expect these sellers have listened to MSM telling them prices have gone up. :rolleyes:

Most of these collapsed sales seem to be empty.

Thank you moonriver. The MSM have a lot to answer for unfortunately.

It'll be interesting to see the breakdown by region (which I will be doing).

25 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

GB one other thing...is there a way to get your funding page to use debit cards and not just pay pal ( or debit cards through pay pal ) ?  I think you'd see more donations then !!!

I really need to change this and give users different options. I'll get onto this asap. Thanks :)

HOLA4421
17 minutes ago, GettingBored said:

Thank you moonriver. The MSM have a lot to answer for unfortunately.

It'll be interesting to see the breakdown by region (which I will be doing).

I really need to change this and give users different options. I'll get onto this asap. Thanks :)

That would be very useful, thank you. ☺️

• 5 weeks later...
HOLA4422

Update - April 1st 2021

Good and bad news this month, let's start with the bad...

The average initial asking price jumped a whopping 6.5% in March. The only regions to show drops were London (-4.1%) and the East of England (-2.2%).

The extension has had a large influx of new users which is great but with that comes a lot of problems such as attacks on the servers, people writing scripts to hammer the API etc etc. I've had to upgrade servers (again), increase my defences and have generally spent a lot of time in stopping these attacks.

Quite simply, the amount of money I'm spending on servers is no longer covered by donations. Those of you who have been around long enough will remember that Beerhunter (the guy who ran Property Bee) had the same problem. I have never wanted to make a profit from the extension but it would be nice to break even. 75% of donations come from users on this site and I am forever grateful of that so thank you (you know who you are as I email most of you) :)

Property Log is extremely complex, there is a lot of data and 10,000's of lines of code across many servers that run it. I spend hours every week dealing with the spammers, script kiddies etc. I have however been burning the midnight oil and worked every spare hour I have over the last 6 weeks creating something which I am proud of and want to share with you.

So the good news...

I have created Property Log Pro which is a standalone web app. If you're interested in seeing real-time reductions, stats broken down by county/region and much more then this is for you. It's a subscription only service but you can cancel at any time. The Chrome extension will always remain free to use.

Quite a few people have messaged me asking for a tool like this, it's constantly evolving and if you can think of a feature that you would find useful then please get in touch. A complete list of features is available on the website here.

If you do sign up and want to give me feedback please use the support form in the tool.

Edited by GettingBored

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
7 minutes ago, RoShad said:

Is the Property Log Pro available for Northern Ireland? I would happily pay. Thanks

I'm afraid not, there is simply not enough data for Northern Ireland. I will add a message on the homepage stating this.

The Chrome Extension will work as normal though.

HOLA4425