House Price Crash Forum

"Star Wars - The Last Jedi"

Big Orange

HOLA441
HOLA442
HOLA443

*** Spoiler Within ******

Something that bothers me.

At the end Admiral Holdo destroys a Snokes Flagship by ramming it at light speed.

Why does Poe attempt a near-suicide mission at the start when they could have just rammed an old freighter against it?  Similar techniques might also have been used earlier in the wars, like against the 'that's not a moon!' 

Anyway, how come this highly effective tactic hasn't been utilised before?

HOLA444

Just seen it. Quite a few moments like that in the film unfortunately, ones that seem to have been written by "it's got magic powers and faster than light spaceships, the whole thing is impossible so therefore anything goes and we don't have to bother" type people. A pity, I'm sure we could've had just about the same film without some of those. I could think of some hand waves for some of them but it's the writer's job, not mine, to fill in plot holes and implausibilities.

Still enjoyed it though (and this is me talking, so that must count for something).

HOLA445
HOLA446

The problem I have with it . Is it maybe OK film but I read the expanded universe novels that Disney abandoned.  They more in line with star wars universe I know and love . In short the Disney film is not the movie I was looking for and I'm sure many you read novel from my generation feel that way

HOLA447
On 12/17/2017 at 1:45 AM, dgul said:

*** Spoiler Within ******

Something that bothers me.

At the end Admiral Holdo destroys a Snokes Flagship by ramming it at light speed.

Why does Poe attempt a near-suicide mission at the start when they could have just rammed an old freighter against it?  Similar techniques might also have been used earlier in the wars, like against the 'that's not a moon!' 

Anyway, how come this highly effective tactic hasn't been utilised before?

Holdo has protected NCB, and Han Solo was on his Mum's policy as a named pilot

HOLA448
On 25/12/2017 at 6:34 PM, PopGun said:

Is it more ludicrous than the last film’s Star Killer base?

”General, the first order has fired their interstellar beam at us”

”My god, how long till impact?”

”Just 10 million years..”

They've got FTL spaceships so I can swallow an FTL weapon, the bit that killed it for me was them seeing the shots - made me assume the planet they shot at must be in the same solar system so it was a race against time before the heroes got the next shot, probably involving flying off in the Millenium Falcon with the planet exploding behind them.

HOLA449

It was utter pish, very dissapointed.  Massive holes in the storyline, the pointless finn-rose story that added nothing.

Snoke not explained - where did darth-smeagol come from? What is his story? His killing was lame.

Emo-Holo is the most interesting character left, after killing off Han and Luke (which made no sense) leaves no connection to the Star Wars story arc.

SFX looked nice, but overall it was an acceptable sci-fi film and a crap Star Wars one - give is 5/10.  Rogue One was so much better. Not going to bother with anymore of the films, Disney-ification has destroyed the whole thing.

HOLA4410
18 hours ago, jfk said:

Emo-Holo is the most interesting character left, after killing off Han and Luke (which made no sense) leaves no connection to the Star Wars story arc.

Especially odd considering he was the last main character from the original series still around, at least without resorting to more creepy CGI.

HOLA4411
6 hours ago, Riedquat said:

Especially odd considering he was the last main character from the original series still around, at least without resorting to more creepy CGI.

The Disney SJWs don't want any connection to the original movies. They made these movies with the sole intention of destroying everything good about the originals.

Destroying good is what SJWs live for.

HOLA4412
On 29/12/2017 at 8:54 PM, jfk said:

Snoke not explained - where did darth-smeagol come from? What is his story? His killing was lame.

Snoke was Palpatine 2.0 anyway, even if he was a powerful leader who kinda popped out of nowhere, and his sudden assassination was awesome and really improved Adam Driver's role as an antagonist.

Rogue One is a better film but I found TLJ funner.

HOLA4413

Biggest problem I had was the existence of optional gravity in space:dropping bombs, ships falling away downwards when hit etc. Then there was the optional vacuum depending on whether you were Leia being sucked out of the damaged bridge or the bomber in the bomb-bay looking for her remote.

HOLA4414

Modern era of franchises to produce an output annually for the company balance sheet has meant the decline in the role of the scriptwriter.  Now the director determines the plot far more than ever to hit deadlines and adapt to the reality of the film-making process (i.e. actor like Harrison Ford reluctant, so kill him off, proposed set too elaborate to build, so lets just have another forest planet with earth trees).  So scientific impossibilities and continuity errors between past franchise releases abound. 

That said, I've heard this statement said a few times in my industry and it seems to apply in film franchises as well.  "You could drop the quality by 20% and nothing would happen".  This is what we are seeing.  IMDB reviews lower than original trilogy, but the balance sheet very healthy and still a global smash at the box office with licencing, merchandising and product association deals. 

Short term profits over long term ratings.  Filmmaking is a short term industry for a director.  Making a wonderful timeless movie like Shawshank Redemption brings in long term income and kudos, but getting that next movie depends on a fast income stream being available.  Producing a high quality movie classic is seen as selfish by the industry top brass and not as being corporate. 

HOLA4415

That is most obvious with the unnecessary, bloated The Hobbit trilogy, when the characterisation and scripting is only good enough (none of spending the much of the 1990s fleshing out the original LotR trilogy), and they ploughed  on with massive scenes with incomplete storyboards and screenplay...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
22 hours ago, stuckmojo said:

Terrible shit of a film. I wish I could un-watch it. 

I'm planning on watching it a third time actually, since it benefits from repeat viewing. I'll try watching it on IMAX. Though Rian Johnson is as arrogant and reckless as George Lucas grew complacent and out of practice.

Arguably the best movie of 2017 was Blade Runner 2049 (and that was unfortunately a box office bomb).

HOLA4418
7 minutes ago, Big Orange said:

I'm planning on watching it a third time actually, since it benefits from repeat viewing. I'll try watching it on IMAX. Though Rian Johnson is as arrogant and reckless as George Lucas grew complacent and out of practice.

Arguably the best movie of 2017 was Blade Runner 2049 (and that was unfortunately a box office bomb).

Blade Runner 2049 was immense. One of the very best films ever. 

Archived