House Price Crash Forum

Deflationary collapse and the Reflation Cycle to Come.

HOLA441
HOLA442
1 hour ago, Fence said:

We've slipped to page 2 of the threads list. 

A real pain having to hop to page 2.

Quick, better start talking about Brexit!

Brexit is the saviour/ruin of the UK. Oh no it isn't. Oh yes it is. Oh no it isn't and you're stupid. Oh yes it is and you're an idiot. [repeat 20000000 times]

HOLA443
30 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

repeat 20000000 times

Indeed.

Very kind of you to offer but the Brexit thread has 39k replies, we have 4k, so 35k should do.  No point tiring yourself out now!  I guess our aspiration should be to get "pinned" like the Gold thread.  But then they're all posh and gold like and money talks.

We also need more viewers as we have 420k, Brexit has 1189k, and Gold has 1110k.  We need to either change the thread title to something about Gold, Brexit, Millenials, Boomers and avocados or you need to start slagging me off something rotten.  Yes, I'll take one for the team!  Or we write a bot to do a periodic posting to the thread.

Or is it a case of "build it and they will come"?

The Bitcoin thread was doing well but as we all know that's a bust....or is it!

Edited by Fence

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
33 minutes ago, leonardratso said:

and bumps....

What bumps?!....

Edit: apologies, here I am complaining about QE destroying the markets and the next thing I want to prevent a free market here!  Bl**dy QE, rotting my brain to a "new normal"!

Edited by Fence

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
7 hours ago, Fence said:

Sorry but have to pass on XL Media (not in my investing universe), although a 90% rise in 52 weeks would have been lovely.

I'm very much thinking of averaging in to bonds and equity for as long as reasonable to help mitigate any significant falls or missing out if the opposite happens (or we just tread water).  Indeed, my personal forecasts indicate I could afford to do it over one to two years!  At least that way I feel like I'm doing something at a measured pace.  This would be for part of my funds covering essential retirement expenses (i.e. capital preservation rather than growth more important).

I'm starting to like the NS&I 3 year bond at 2.2% (taxable) for parking a slug of money right now rather than fully averaging in to bonds and equities.  Pays better than most bond funds?  Government backed, no capital risk, and at least you get something to contribute towards inflation.  Only some challenger type banks seem to pay more.  In sterling though!  Also nothing to say things would be any better in three years time.

Personally,unless you're seeking $ exposure I'd stick to NS&I rather than gilts.Your money is 100% Treasury backed without any of the capital risk that comes with trading bonds-I know there's a good few of us on here that see rates possibly moving back down when a recession hits but still,if you end up on the wrong side of a 30 year bond bull unwind, you'll regret it

Other advantages of NS&I-you can hold up to a bar per a/c, rate is better than gilts ( we got some 5 yr bonds a few years back at 3% + iirc), only penalty is 3 month interest sacrifice (on the ones we've used anyway) and as I said,the guarantee is the same as Gilts.

On the issue of equities-I'm biased,I like equities and feel comfortable with the risk/reward profile-I try and use my asset allocations to get a multiple bird strike with 1 stone.Telecoms being a case in point.You buy Vodafone (or any of the other quality mobile comms plays) at the right price and you're getting

1) a relatively solid balance sheet and income statement

2) a great currency hedge-income from all over the world

3) a great geographical spread of assets across continents with much better demographic profiles than the West

4) an effective utility play that's one of the first bills people pay every month-alongside-fuel,food,water,leccy etc

5) a company with little exposure to heritage pensions risk

6) a product with a growing user base particularly given the cost of traditional fixed line networks in terms of maintenance and construction

Edited by Sancho Panza

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Looking at a lot of FTSE 250 shares and  right enough many seem to be well down already from their tops.

Lots look like a terrible idea at the moment- Kingfisher.

Are you keeping cash at hand and tracking individual shares down to a level you see as value? 

HOLA4415
5 hours ago, Drat said:

If it helps I will add 100% of my annual posting quota to this thread.

There just did it..

Surely in the Spirit of the Thread you should Spend Tomorrow’s Posting Quota Today as well while we watch for the Bust.

Go on go on go on.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

Love the Telco's,personally think they will be the best invesment from the bottom as above.

Is it correct Vodafone's share price are little changes since the gfc? Seems surprising given the explosionin smartphones over that period. Has there been a stock split or is it just a good one to hold as a divi payer?

HOLA4418
1 hour ago, Sancho Panza said:

Love the Telco's,personally think they will be the best invesment from the bottom as above.

Is it correct Vodafone's share price are little changes since the gfc? Seems surprising given the explosionin smartphones over that period. Has there been a stock split or is it just a good one to hold as a divi payer?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 hours ago, Sancho Panza said:

Personally,........

On the issue of equities.......

Nice and sound thanks.  Personally, I'm leaning towards a bit of the nice and secure NS&I bonds for my "essentials" retirement pot and a share based income fund for my upside.  I've ran it through a model suited to my personal circumstances at it seems to work for my level of risk, required return, etc.  Probably not suited for others though.  I was lucky to buy NS&I inflation linked certificates back in the day and they are now great to have in my portfolio.  They roll over at expiry at bu**er all plus RPI but are great as a cash element for the future "essentials" pot.  Means I can more comfortably invest in that share based income fund.  I've looked at bonds (retail bonds, PIBS, gilts, etc) and am not seeing much value at the moment.  My worry is the risk of a 1% rise in interest rates and the serious damage that could have on returns.  Personally, I'm tempted to wait until prices stabilise - i.e. more clarity on interest rates (about which I also question the view they will go up - maybe more going up so they can come back down again when needed!).  BTW, just bought my second book - "Living off Your Money (Michael McClung)" and am limbering up for the avalanche of data and stress testing my current strategy!  All part of my approach of working backwards from my retirement to today to work out what I need to be doing now (not sure many people do it that way!). 

HOLA4421
5 hours ago, leonardratso said:

.....my prsr is also a dog, still never mind should get 5% divi out of it this year.

I believe that's the essence of the HYP (high yield portfolio) strategy - don't worry about capital values as long as your personal yield is maintained. I quite like the idea.   

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, Thorn said:

Looking at a lot of FTSE 250 shares and  right enough many seem to be well down already from their tops.

Lots look like a terrible idea at the moment- Kingfisher.

Are you keeping cash at hand and tracking individual shares down to a level you see as value? 

I am.  That's the beauty of DYOR rather than listening to the "talking heads" (aka last week's sport correspondent!).  The indices can do what they like but, as DB has pointed out a few times, there are some decent large companies at a decent discount (saw one today that's 35% down).  Sure, their technicals are not screaming "buy" but maybe worth a nibble (average in).  That's why I'm personally favouring stock picking rather than ETFs/funds (although may have a bit of each for some diversification and allocation purposes).  One key focus area of mine are the companies' cash flow statements and debt balances.  I thought they were available on the HL website prior to the release of their new website or maybe I was using Morningstar.  Amazing HL don't show such key data.  

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Sugarlips said:

Certainly several well known good yielding names are now hovering at prices close to the 2008 precipice and some have even fallen back into it (or never got out of it)!

For example:

image.thumb.png.778d706ae7fe866cba2567cc00dcc8e9.png

HOLA4424

1 hour ago, leonardratso said:

wasnt it consolidated years ago? dunno cant remember

They sold Verizon Wireless in 2013 and redistributed the cash to shareholders.It was a major offload so I wouldn't judge the chart in isolation.

There was a lot of haggling for years over the price.

https://finance.google.co.uk/finance?q=LON%3AVOD&ei=rKuMWsm1EIOQUM_tpyA

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23933955

'Vodafone has sold its 45% stake in Verizon Wireless to US telecoms group Verizon Communications in one of the biggest deals in corporate history.

The $130bn (£84bn) deal was announced by Vodafone after the close of trading on the London Stock Exchange.

The company will return £54bn to its shareholders, of which £22bn will go to shareholders in the UK.'

HOLA4425

Sold it's stake in Verizon which was a nice little earner (both prior to and at sale time).  It's currently yielding 6.4%!