House Price Crash Forum

Vaping booming sector

200p

HOLA441

Vape shop near me used to constantly have people queuing up outside day in day out. Had 3 or 4 assistants working flat out. Used to be in awe of how much money they must have been making. They then rented the shop next door and smashed through to it, creating a smoking room and more serving space. 

Few weeks later the pound shop opposite started selling them plus all the other shops in the street got in on it. Race to the bottom. How are you meant to compete with the pound shops? Now I see hardly anyone in the vape shop and wouldn't be surprised if they closed soon to get out of their leases.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
19 minutes ago, gibbon said:

Vape shop near me used to constantly have people queuing up outside day in day out. Had 3 or 4 assistants working flat out. Used to be in awe of how much money they must have been making. They then rented the shop next door and smashed through to it, creating a smoking room and more serving space. 

Few weeks later the pound shop opposite started selling them plus all the other shops in the street got in on it. Race to the bottom. How are you meant to compete with the pound shops? Now I see hardly anyone in the vape shop and wouldn't be surprised if they closed soon to get out of their leases.

Have to say I don't understand the appeal of these shops. Why not just buy it online? Surely there's a markup in the shops to cover the rent etc. What's the point?

HOLA444
HOLA445
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

Have to say I don't understand the appeal of these shops. Why not just buy it online? Surely there's a markup in the shops to cover the rent etc. What's the point?

The vape shop is close to my favourite cafe. Could get it mail order and save a couple of quid but it's actually less hassle for me to go into a shop that I'm already passing.

HOLA446
1 hour ago, spunko2010 said:

I've wondered if its because they are catering to a less well off demographic who might not have easy access to the internet? Does seem crazy all these cottage vape shops paying sky high rents and rates while their core product is being commoditized either online and or via pound shops. It isn't going to end well for them.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
On 2/13/2017 at 10:30 AM, Frank Hovis said:

I read in conjunction with a story on woodburning stoves being bad for your health (if you keep the front window open which Sarah told me you shouldn't do) that woodsmoke is full of particles that damage the lungs; the major health damage seems to be from smoke going into your lungs, whether from burning tobacco leaves, barbecue coke, or logs in a fire.

So take away that smoke and replace it with water and you get a health benefit.

The Clean Air Act of 1956 was passed after the Great Smog of London caused all manner of issues (like death) in 1952.

In 1965 North Sea gas was discovered. Between 1968 and 76 the UK underwent a mass fuel conversion programme, replacing its coal and wood fireplaces with clean, healthy, convenient natural gas.

Having dissuaded traffic from central London with the introduction of the Congestion Charge in 2003, pollution levels continued to fall:

CAL-178_10_London-air-quality-1996-to-20

Then, somewhen in the noughties, beyond all logical explanation, some idiot decided wood could once again be the fuel of the masses (well, the upper middle classes) and everyone of them and every wannabe in the country started to install backward-thinking wood burning stoves.

Consequence:

Air pollution in London passes levels in Beijing... and wood burners are making problem worse

Well done human race!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Archived