House Price Crash Forum

It's Mot Time

notMyName

HOLA441
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

Mine built in the last century, always passed MOT for the cost of the MOT never given any problems.......still very reliable and clean.....would like your views on what car would replace it......something say 1300cc hatchback, steady, reliable and economical to run and service, something around three years old...don't do new......no rush. ;)

HOLA443

Mine built in the last century, always passed MOT for the cost of the MOT never given any problems.......still very reliable and clean.....would like your views on what car would replace it......something say 1300cc hatchback, steady, reliable and economical to run and service, something around three years old...don't do new......no rush. ;)

Winkie, you don't think I drive a 1300 cc car. That is hardly big enough for a motorbike.

HOLA444

Winkie, you don't think I drive a 1300 cc car. That is hardly big enough for a motorbike.

Not that I don't like motorbikes, I don't like being cold and wet.....Often been given the opportunity to drive a big powerful car but gratefully decline.... ;)

HOLA445

Not that I don't like motorbikes, I don't like being cold and wet.....Often been given the opportunity to drive a big powerful car but gratefully decline.... ;)

I drive like a chauffeur! Not a w8nker!

HOLA446

IMO winkie all mass produced cars these days are very well built and will run happily for fifteen years without any major problems unless you're unlucky.

If you have a local dealer with competitive prices, good reputation, and a good range then I'd go there and drive a few to see what you like.

Once you've decided between petrol and diesel, and I'd guess you're lower mileage so it's a petrol, then pick whichever one you like being in and like the colour.

If you want a few ideas and guide to pricing then Motorpoint do some good deals on their ex lease / hire cars.

HOLA447
HOLA448

IMO winkie all mass produced cars these days are very well built and will run happily for fifteen years without any major problems unless you're unlucky.

If you have a local dealer with competitive prices, good reputation, and a good range then I'd go there and drive a few to see what you like.

Once you've decided between petrol and diesel, and I'd guess you're lower mileage so it's a petrol, then pick whichever one you like being in and like the colour.

If you want a few ideas and guide to pricing then Motorpoint do some good deals on their ex lease / hire cars.

I didn't know you were a used motor salesman aswell Frank! :blink:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

And the winner is......

Passed with advisories :D

I just have to get the rear swinging arm bushes replaced, and sway bars. So I guess the old CR-V gets to have some love and cash spent on it to keep it going for the next few years.

HOLA4411

And the winner is......

I just have to get the rear swinging arm bushes replaced, and sway bars. So I guess the old CR-V gets to have some love and cash spent on it to keep it going for the next few years.

Fab.

My car healed itself inbetween MOTs...

It has broken it's windscreen whilst it's been in the garage though.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Mine has had the amber engine light on for the last three 1!months.....engine running fine, ticking over nicely.....I ignore the light. :)

It probably means there might be somehting wrong!

HOLA4414

It probably means there might be somehting wrong!

No, nothing wrong if it starts up every morning....runs better than the day I bought it.

It will stop one day....everything stops one day. ;)

Edit to say....thinking of disconnecting the battery and giving it a kick to reboot.

HOLA4415

And the winner is......

Called it B)

Didn't know they had swinging arm/radial rear suspension though. Thought it was standard shocks and springs as there are wheel arch 'bumps' in the boot, unlike my old Berlingo.

HOLA4416

Called it B)

Didn't know they had swinging arm/radial rear suspension though. Thought it was standard shocks and springs as there are wheel arch 'bumps' in the boot, unlike my old Berlingo.

Yeah, sorry my bad. I meant trailing arm :)

HOLA4417

I'm glad your car passed the MOT and you don't have much to spend to sort the advisories.

My.vehicle is a 1998 Toyota Hiace Supercustom 3L automatic camper van. I've had it 3 years now. It's the best vehicle I've ever had for its amenity and I find it a dream to drive. I just love it!

I had a stainless steel exhaust put on it and new back shock absorbers not long after I got it and had no problems with passing it's last 2 MOT's

It's booked in for a service and MOT on Monday. I'm not anticipating any problems so fingers crossed.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Mine has had the amber engine light on for the last three months.....engine running fine, ticking over nicely.....I ignore the light. :)

This reminds me when I drove around for a year or so with a rear wheel bearing issue - used to turn the radio up.

HOLA4420

This reminds me when I drove around for a year or so with a rear wheel bearing issue - used to turn the radio up.

I turn the radio up anyway......the reason why I ignore it now is because about six months ago it came on I was worried, drove a couple of hundred miles it went off for a few weeks and has now mysteriously appeared again....think it is having a laugh, so I laugh with it until it decides what to do next..... ;)

HOLA4421

I turn the radio up anyway......the reason why I ignore it now is because about six months ago it came on I was worried, drove a couple of hundred miles it went off for a few weeks and has now mysteriously appeared again....think it is having a laugh, so I laugh with it until it decides what to do next..... ;)

I think that, unfortunately, an illuminated engine management light is now an MOT failure point. What car is it? If it's a 90s car it will probably have a fault code reader port of some description, so you can ask the car what it thinks is wrong with itself.

My car has had the engine management light on since I bought it (didn't notice until I'd handed over the cash). I bought a bluetooth fault code reader from ebay for 7 quid, and it turns out that the post-cat lambda sensor is faulty. It makes no odds to how the car runs, so when I take it in for an MOT I plug the fault code reader in and then sit there on my phone constantly jabbing the "erase all fault codes" option until they have finished with it.

HOLA4422

I think that, unfortunately, an illuminated engine management light is now an MOT failure point. What car is it? If it's a 90s car it will probably have a fault code reader port of some description, so you can ask the car what it thinks is wrong with itself.

My car has had the engine management light on since I bought it (didn't notice until I'd handed over the cash). I bought a bluetooth fault code reader from ebay for 7 quid, and it turns out that the post-cat lambda sensor is faulty. It makes no odds to how the car runs, so when I take it in for an MOT I plug the fault code reader in and then sit there on my phone constantly jabbing the "erase all fault codes" option until they have finished with it.

Tell me about your ODB Canbus reader for £7.

HOLA4423

It isn't an MOT failure - although it's often a red flag for a future emissions test failure.

When the ceramic in cats breaks up it often then murders the downstream oxygen sensor.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161437593495

ELM327 is your mate. Bought one plus £5 iPhone app - diagnosed faulty cam position sensor, replaced myself for £20 off ebay (2yr guarantee). Car now starts like a dream!

I've ordered one! I wonder if it will work with my car? :blink:

Archived