House Price Crash Forum

What Have The Romans...er Eu... Ever Done For Us? The Positives.

RentingForever

HOLA441

From discussions in other threads I thought this was worth one on its own as we wend our way to the Referendum on EU. Let's build a list of all the good things membership of the EU has brought us. I'll start another one on the bad things, to keep it balanced and tidy.

So far we've had, from Frank Hovis:

• Products legislation and safety standards - when you see a "CE" mark on something you know it isn't likely to blow up or posion you.
  • Objective measures of poverty - Cornwall has hugely benefited from EU money because it is the poorest place in England (though County Durham is close IIRC), vistors woudln't see but go a few miles inland of the sandy beaches and you're into third world territory. However under successive governments aid and subsidy went to regions, the North East, Northern Ireland, Scotland etc., where there were political gains to be had rather than to those most in need.
  • Easy cross-border trade - I know you can now have this whilst outside the EU but it was a big achievement.

To which I'd add:

• Visa-free travel
  • Easy retirement to the Med
  • Relatively easy to move to other EU countries to work
  • Common patent filing and drug licensing
  • Access to large common research budget for scientists (Framework Programme)
  • Promise of membership has forced some pretty dodgy ex-communist countries to 'Westernise' their democracies, judicial systems, economies etc. Could see the same for Turkey and the rest of the Balkans too.

HOLA442

The Romans (not the EU) laid out the road system across England. We still use many of them today.

Watling Street, Fosse Way ect......

And they gave us Russell Crowe. Gladiator was a much better movie than Braveheart.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

Euro rather than EU - but I love it.

For our honeymoon (a long time ago, pre-euro), we went on a motoring holiday that ended up (we had no original plan) taking in almost every EU country bar Ireland and the Iberian peninsular. I still have jars full of useless coins that I collected along the way and never managed to ditch. OTOH, I also have a pot of euros that I just dip into where ever I happen to be going (in the civilised world - for the uncivilised world, I have a pot of US dollars).

HOLA4411

Free movement of pert, attractive young women into London.

Not just London. Hotel stays everywhere became an overnight pleasure when the enlargement to the East happened. Plain, surly local girls were replaced with stunning lookers with exotic accents and wonderful Slavic cheekbones.

HOLA4412

Pert, how exactly if I may ask.....

Pert
adjective
  1. (of a girl or young woman) attractively lively or cheeky.
    "a pert, slightly plump girl called Rose"
  2. (of a bodily feature or garment) attractively small and well shaped.
    "she had a pert nose and deep blue eyes"

HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415

I believe it is due to EU legislation that car manufacturers are forced to put the repair data they provide their own dealers in the public domain and means people aren't forced to take their vehicles to main dealers.

Although, in this day and age, aftermarket repair solutions are quickly established so, although useful, it's not a strong reason to stay in.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Archived